Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work problems

Options
  • 29-10-2006 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been having problems in my job since I started. One other person who started about 4 months before me in the same role has had similar problems but is coping slightly better.

When I started, the person who was supposed to be training me wouldn't share any info whatsoever. That made me look a little slow to pick things up and I was easily confused at first because of the complexity of the technicalities of the role. My boss has always spoken to me and my colleagues like we are stupid and gives instructions so detailed that free choice is practically non-existent. At least it feels like that on the bad days.

Another person more senior than me who reports to my boss used to shout at me in front of people when I made a mistake. But when I retaliated with how I've had no guidance from him whatsoever, he just walked off. We actually get on very well now, but I can't trust him completely.

When my review came up, it was noted that my progress was a little slow, so without mentioning any names - I told my boss of my problems. He said he did a discreet and informal investigation and found that my story was true. But he wouldn't change my review. He said that I should have let him know at the start.

He opened the next years review and put a comment in that I was unhappy with his previous comment, and noted that I have made vast improvement in a mere matter of weeks. He also told me personally that I am trusted to do my job properly.

Recently in the pub, a colleague told me that he heard my boss bad mouthing me to his colleagues from a different department, saying "that fellas only a feather head". I have made a few mistakes at work, but as I said - I had no training and I do some excellent work that never gets acknowledgement, bar a few people. There is rarely any feedback good or bad from my boss. My colleagues have the same experience. He doesn't even say hello in the morning and a week could pass without talking even though we're in the same small office.

I want to leave the company now, not just the department. I'm paraniod of what people think of me. But I'm worried about references. Another complication is that I want to take a few months out between jobs to travel, and I cant use the excuse of being 'still in the job' to stop my next employer contacting my present employer.

Although my other colleague has had similar problems, mine are reaching a pinnacle that his havent. That's partially my fault, but it's as a result of a real confidence drop since I started working there.

If anyone can advise me here, I'd appreciate it. I just want to make a smooth exit with no hard feelings into a new job, with a fresh start.

Thanks to anyone who has read this far.

I have a degree in another area that I'm not interested in working in, so employment prospects are pretty good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

Well, I'm 33 and have worked in a lot of companies, sometimes as an employee, sometimes "on loan" from my parent company on particular projects (I'm in IT). Been self-employed for 3 years now, and get around a lot of workplaces. I've also worked in Ireland, the UK, the US, and Switzerland, so this kind of thing happens everywhere.

Some companies just aren't worth it. Some companies are full of arseholes. There's a bad vibe, an aggressive/bullying culture, a culture of passing the buck, of people telling blatant lies to management and getting away with it, maybe a company that is in decline and morale is bad...a lot of different scenarios.

You don't have to put up with it.

I'm guessing yer fairly new to the world of work? At the end of the day, you are hiring your services to a company in return for cash - cash which you want to live a nice life. The company should be pleased and grateful for your services. Far too many people these days have this notion hammered into them that they should be damn grateful that the company has deigned to allow them onto the payroll.

Work to live, not the other way around. And seeing as you will be spending 8-9 hours a day, 5 days a week in the workplace, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to put yourself through the mental torture of having to spend those hours in the company of people you don't like, who aren't nice to you, or who are generally "wrecking your buzz". Life's too short, and all that.

Update the old CV and apply for a bunch of jobs. And at any interviews you get, just tell them you want to leave your current job because the culture of the company doesn't suit you and is way too macho/agressive. Just do it in a nice way, don't spend 15 minutes bitching and moaning. "I don't like the culture, the atmosphere. It's very macho, a lot of posturing and throwing shapes. I prefer a more friendly and cooperative work atmosphere". And simply leave it at that. Believe me, they'll know what you mean. And if they're a company full of arseholes too, they'll know not to give you the job, and everyone wins.

It is far better to be honest and upfront in the interview about what you expect from the job than to "tell them what they want to hear", which only leads to both you and the company making a mistake and you leaving again 6 months later at great expense and hassle for all concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Have you got a HR Department?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Stop worrying. If you want to go out and they give you a bad reference, tell em you're off to your solicitor and you'll sue em for slander.

Miss Fluff - HR Department ? Prey tell, why do U ask ?

The only thing lower than someone 'working' in HR is a slug under a
    rock ! Of course they like to interfere in processes which are way
    beyond their understanding or capabilities, as a justification of
    their mere trivial existence. If they are not doing the payroll and
    making the tea for their betters - then they are not useful !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Might be time to start looking for a new company? But remember that it's easier to get a job if you have a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

HateMyJob wrote:
    But I'm worried about references.

Dont be. Nowadays most references just consist of X worked here for Y months/years and had z attendance record.

Its very unlikey that they would share aspects of your review with a prospective employer, given the ease with which it could be taken out of context.

If you are really worried - are there any managers/supervisors in your present company that would be willing to act as a personal reference. This would mitigate against any 'bad' reference that might come your way.

I stress though unless you actually resign by taking a dump on the bosses desk, 99% of companies will just give you the standard reference as outlined above, for fear of getting sued for defamation.

Get that CV out there and get out of the crap hole you are working in. And next time be very firm when you are not gettign the support you need to do you job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I wouldn't be too worried. Give your notice and explain that an oppurtunity to travel has come up and you just can't turn it down. When you get back apply for a new job and at an interview explain that you left your job to travel. If they ask about your old job, which they probably will, just say that you weren't happy with the training and support that you were given. Don't bad mouth your current employer but do use the experience as a positive - that you want to learn and do your best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

OP I've no sympathy for you whatsoever.

In one job I had once I got 4 days to learn the processes off a fella who was leaving. He'd answer my questions in a yoda-like fashion but more or less didn't make any effort to teach me a thing and when Friday came has was "thank you very much and cya later!"

Anyway realising was on a lost cause I quickly took it upon myself to grips with what I was doing and soon got on top of things. As months passed by a new person came on board and I was now my turn to show her the ropes!

Remembering how tough it was for me first time around I made special accomodations for this person and thought her every step/procedure from the bottom up.

Months pass and despite my best efforts she was still acting like she'd barely learnt a thing. I swear she had been lying about her experience/knowledge when she was at interview and shouldn't have even been here, but now I was the one answerable for her mistakes and my own reduced productivity due to endless string of requests for help during the day.

To sum her up she seemed more interested in just 'pretending' she looked like she knew what she was doing, rather than actually learning how to do her job well and doing it.

OP I reckon you're just an incompetant like this individual I speak of , in over your head and now just looking for someone else to blame for your shortcomings.

You'd be better off accepting your mistakes thusfar and seeing how you can sink or swim rather than just hinting to your superiors that everything you've failed at was someone elses fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'Thanks so much for all your replies. \r\n\r\nDalfiatach - Yes, this is my first proper job really. I\'m taking your advice. As are quite a few people I work with actually. The company is a large multinational, but the area I work in has only 60 people working on a specific product, and we are sort of isolated from the rest of the company. The majority of us are actually unhappy with the place.\r\n\r\nI\'ll first look into a promotion to another area because I know I\'m a competent worker and I\'m just very very unlucky with the area I\'m in - it has had this reputation for years. As soon as I got transferred in, the people that I had been working with kept calling in to see how I was getting on - like I\'d landed a prison sentence or something. Nobody wants to work there.\r\n\r\nsecret_squirrel / daiixi / BlueLagoon, that sounds like good advice. Thanks to everyone else who posted. I was really afraid and stuck in a rut and felt hopeless, but now I see possibilities.\r\n\r\nI\'m looking out for vacancies within the company first ( I have so many friends, it would be easier to stay - I can take a sabattical a year after maybe). Alternatively, if I don\'t get a job within the company soon, I\'ll start applying elsewhere at the end of January.\r\n\r\nPigmanII - you\'re way off, but thanks for taking the time to read. The estimated learning curve time is 6 - 12 months for the level of complexity I\'m dealing with! You can\'t possibly draw any parallels with the limited info I\'ve given you.'

Advertisement