Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Week #22: "In the Aeroplane over the Sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel

Options
  • 28-10-2006 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Due to popular demand I've added this as album of the week. I'm not familiar with this album at all and indeed all I know about Neutral Milk Hotel is that Jeremy Barnes from A Hawk and a Hacksaw is the drummer so immediately they score cool points. So, what's so great about this album?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Bout' time :D
    John2 wrote:
    I'm not familiar with this album at all...

Firstly, get it! :p

Its a fantastic album from start to finish, with the only weak track being The Fool imo. Mangum's energy is amazing made better by the personal feel of his lyrics. Two Headed Boy: part 1, is by far the best track on the album, and it is just him and his guitar, love the line "placing fingers through the notches in your spine".

Also, there is a brilliant solo performance from Mangum available [URL="http://www.elephant6.com/sound/neutral.html
    "]here[/URL] the Live at Aquarius Records one.

Also, there is an Uilleann (sp?) pipe solo, what more could you ask for?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Yes, finally! This is going to be a long post, but I have an irrational love for this album, and nothing to do until 2pm, so...

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is easily one of my favourite albums of all time. It's a crying shame that NMH aren't better known, but hopefully this thread will encourage at least a few more people to listen to the album.

The King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1: "Mom would drink until she was no longer speaking, and dad would dream of all the different ways to die - each one a little more than he could dare to try". A relatively accessible introduction to the album, the song's simple melody and catchy chords make it easy to enjoy, but - as is typical of the entire album - it's the incredible lyrics that keep you coming back.

The King of Carrot Flowers Pts. 2 & 3: "And on the lazy days The dogs dissolve and drain away" The almost tuneless refrain at the start of this track is our the first obvious taste of the album's famed openness. Jeff Mangum's cries of love for Jesus Christ might sound ironic, but they aren't. Pt. 2 can be difficult to listen to, but Pt. 3 explodes with energy. Outstanding.

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea:
    "And one day we will die
    And our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea
    But for now we are young
    Let us lay in the sun
    And count every beautiful thing we can see

A mazy, tender and incredibly beautiful song. IMO it's lyrically the strongest on the album, which is saying something. Grows and grows on you.

Two-Headed Boy: "Two headed boy, put on sunday shoes and dance round the room to accordion keys, with the needle that sings in your heart". I remember hearing this song's chorus for the first time, and almost wincing as Jeff struggles to hit the notes. I don't hear that anymore, the honesty, passion and genuity of this album isn't contrained by its authors musical ability - that is its joy.

The Fool: Someone said this was the only weak song on the album, but I can't agree. It's an instrumental, an interlude, and I think after the previous few songs, it's necessary. I like it.

Holland, 1945:: "it's so sad to see the world agree
    That they'd rather see their faces fill with flies
    All when I'd want to keep white roses in their eyes"

The most fun, melodically upbeat, energetic and accessible song on the album. It bursts with content, purpose and joy - but is actually quite dark. Perhaps the only instance on the album where Jeff's emotions are somewhat masked by the music.

Communist Daughter: "Semen stains the mountain tops". To me, this is one of the most tender and emotional songs ever written. I don't really know why I like it, but it's just perfect.

Oh Comely: "I will be with you when you lose your breath
    Chasing the only meaningful memory you thought you had left"
    . If you listen carefully, you're supposed to be able to hear the album's producer saying "Holy ****" after Jeffs finishes this 8-minute, solo acoustic epic in the studio. I don't hear it, but you can understand the legend. 'Oh Comely' is probably the last song you will like on this album, but you know you like NMH when you start to like this song. It's hard work, but it's an amazing piece of music.

Ghost: "she knows that she'll never be afraid to watch the morning paper blow into a hole where no one can escape" If you hadn't noticed yet, this song cement the influence of Anne Frank on the album - it's essentially a concept album about the influence her experience had on Mangum. The album's weakest effort, but listenable and somewhat haunting.

Untitled: Another instrumental, probably technically better than The Fool, but not as necessary at this point in the album, IMO.

Two-Headed Boy Pt. 2: "In my dreams you're alive and you're crying as your mouth moves in mine, soft and sweet, Rings of flowers round your eyes" After an album of so much emotion and power, it's incredible that this is probably its most powerful song. Fantastic end to the album.

Not everyone will like this album, many will probably hate it, but a select few will absolutely adore it. Excellent choice for album of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Good choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

The rather nasal, dominant vocals might be the make or break as to whether you can get into this album... I like it, but I wouldn't be as evangelical about it as some people seem to get. I think it may have built up this somewhat mythical status due to the fact that the band more or less vanished afterwards. Certainly worth a listen though, it's a unique sound, a kind of weird blaring folk pop with some almost Eastern European instrumental touches.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Sorry, from the look of that site I can't tell if it's authorised by the band or not. If it is feel free to post the link again but if it's not or you don't know I'm afraid you can't post it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

Well, I'm guessing that it's unauthorised, but it's just amateur live recordings and demos, no commercially available stuff - is that still breaking the rules? I guess anyone who wants it can google for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'm afraid it is against the rules. Even if it isn't commercially available, it's the property of the band nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Great to see this album make Album of the Week. If you've never heard this, give it a try.

It's a cracking album, outstanding tracks are "Oh Comely" and "Two Headed Boy".

Did Magnum go on to do other stuff ? Can we expect to hear more from NMH ?

Did Magnum go on to do other stuff ? Can we expect to hear more from NMH ?

Yeah he tours and plays small parts in some bands, such as the " circulatory system " and apples in stereo ".

Pitchfork seam to think he is coming back to NMH, although i'd say its highly unlikely :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

A definite "try before you buy" album. There's no way I'd tell someone to go and buy it blindly anyway.

I still sometimes cringe at his voice :)

Good choice.
    If you listen carefully, you're supposed to be able to hear the album's producer saying "Holy ****" after Jeffs finishes this 8-minute, solo acoustic epic in the studio. I don't hear it, but you can understand the legend.
    Heh, I just listened for it and it's definitely there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

PiE wrote:
    Heh, I just listened for it and it's definitely there.

So it is actually, strange I didn't hear that before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

One of my favourite albums of all time. Definitley an acquired taste and requires some effort to get into but the effort is worth it. Jeff Mangum is probably my favourite lyricist and this album contains his best. I also recommend On Avery Island, their first album. It's not as good as Aeroplane but it is a great album nonetheless.

Yes, yush, yuz, everybody should get this.

And if you have it, you should get the book about it in the 33 1/3 series.. it's a great history of Elephant 6 too. Mister Barnes was happy to sign my copy 3 times on Thursday night! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Really love that album too, good choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JamieDeath

I'm so delighted to see NMH get recognition in Ireland. They've been my favourite band for the last four years now and it's great to see people getting into them.

If you think In an Aeroplane over the sea is a bit emo and you feel a tad like killing yourself after a listen try On Avery Island. It's much more experimental but still with all of Jeff Mangum's charm.

There are of course live performances on youtube http://youtube.com/results?search_query=Neutral+Milk+Hotel&search=Search
    but I wouldn't recommend them if you haven't heard any album versions.

I haven't liked a band this much since b*witched! These guys are amazing, please do check them out.

If you'd like any more information about them just give me a shout and if I don't know it myself I'd be happy to track it down for you. THAT'S how much I love this band.

JamieDeath wrote:
    I haven't liked a band this much since b*witched! These guys are amazing, please do check them out.

Eh....?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

Absolutely fantastic album. People should be forced to buy and listen to this. IMVHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

So overrated. Horrible vocals, tried to like it but no dice. Musically ok I guess, but those vocals... The title track is admittedly great though, and the only one still on my itunes. Seriously a try before you buy. And whoever said people should be forced to listen to this should be shot, I guarantee 90% ofthe population will hate this passionately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

I'd venture that you'd be better serving society by shooting one of the 90% who would hate this album passionately.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

Anton17 wrote:
    I guarantee 90% ofthe population will hate this passionately.

It's also pretty fair to say that 90% of the population are complete muppets :D

I love this album more every time i listen to it. Essential listening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Any NMH fans listen to Rock Plaza Central? Very similar vocal style, with maybe a dash of Modest Mouse.

http://www.rockplazacentral.com/
    http://www.myspace.com/rockplazacentral

Never heard of them. Sounds good. Thanks :)

Advertisement