Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Different type of tuning for guitar.

Options
  • 27-10-2006 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Could anyone explain the different types of tuning for a guitar, for example, drop D tuning, open E, etc. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

What about them do you want to know? What they're used for? How to get them? What exactly are you asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Well if you want drop D just tune your low E down 2 frets, DADGBE Simplest alternate tuning you can get

You're not being specific enough of what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I'm looking for a list of the different type of tunings for a guitar. Something along the lines of:

standard: EADGBE
    drop D: DADGBE
    open E: whatever open E is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

don't forget about double dropped D tuning aka Neil Young tuning. Bothe E's are dropped to D...one of my favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

don't forget about double dropped D tuning aka Neil Young tuning. Bothe E's are dropped to D...one of my favourites.
    such a great tuning is DADGAD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Cremo wrote:
    such a great tuning is DADGAD

aka celtic tuning a la Rory Gallagher and John MArtyn...Love that tuning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Slack Key: DGDGBD one of my favourites, get the slide out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I remember about 2-3 years ago a guitar magazine had a great article on Nick Drake and his different tunings. Really impressive stuff. I always wondered why I could never figure out how to play his songs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I read a similair article about the Red House Painters. They used to experiment with different tunings, and then occasionally pick up a guitar that they thought was in standard tuning, but wasn't, and in trying to play a chord would get a really interesting sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

SumGuy wrote:
    Slack Key: DGDGBD one of my favourites, get the slide out

Keef Richards takes off the 6th string and just uses GDGBD for the classic stones sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

the guitar tuning on the super furry animals song "Father Father" is DADDAD

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Conceptual tuning, nice!

I heard (don't know how true it is) that Lemmy used to tune his bass to DEAF :D

Advertisement