Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route a Bead?

Options
  • 27-10-2006 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Lads,
    Bit stuck here, I need to route a bead on the edge of flat stock to make up some window casings. Does such a bit exist? cos if I have to do it with a scratch stock it will be a royal pain. I have attached a diagram of what I'm looking for, any help much appreciated. Thanks
    F.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TagC

Fingalian wrote:
    Lads,
    Bit stuck here, I need to route a bead on the edge of flat stock to make up some window casings. Does such a bit exist? cos if I have to do it with a scratch stock it will be a royal pain. I have attached a diagram of what I'm looking for, any help much appreciated. Thanks
    F.
    Fingalian, Did you have any luck? I've got the same here, alas every edge bead I can find has the flat rabbet at the bottom of the groove.

Wondering if you ever found a direct match with the "V" groove?
    Will let you know if I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Hi TagC,
    The nearest I came across was this one:-
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=21034&name=CMT+ROUTER+CUTTER&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=24

Trend do one in their Pro range but I cannot remember if the profile was a 'V' because the bit cost over 100 euro and I lost interest when I heard that!!

I'm going to order the CMT one and see how the casing looks. It might do me. If I come across anything else I'll post back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My grandad was an antiques restorer, and often had to make all kinds of custom mouldings for stuff he was repairing. He used a spindle moulder, and ground his own blades to suit whatever he was trying to match. That would be an option if you could find a friendly woodworking workshop that had such a thing available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 derekcohen

Why don't you make up a scratch stock? This shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes and you will be easily able to reproduce the moulding in your drawing.

Here is a link: http://www.geocities.com/plybench/scratch.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Yeah could do ,but I have a couple of hundred feet to do. Good link though ,thanks. Saw a nice bow saw on it. I'll have to go back for a mooch when I've more time. Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement