Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card - advice

Options
  • 27-10-2006 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a credit card - I've snapped my laser card in half by accident in my pocket and crippled a few atm cards in the past too in the same way.

Now, instead of replacing it again, i might get a credit card when i'm at the bank. Last time I was there, a 'helpful' lady at the desk filled out an application form for a BOI advantage card and told me to pop it in the post.

Now I know she must have been getting commission or something as she was too eager.

I was looking at the pigsback.ie card, the points on purchases look good.

But the BOI card seems handy as its already filled out and they told me i'd get one no problem because of my account turnover.

So... i know its been asked before but any advice on which CC to get?

I know little about them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What about a 3V card? It works the same as a CC, just a preloaded one or do you want something more permanent?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Hey Ruu, (bloody hell your fast) :P

I've been using a 3v card since they started and find myself spending a good bit more than the €40 govt. tax on the €5 stamp duty tacked onto every 3v voucher.

Other than that they are pretty cool, but maybe I'm looking for something more permanent yeah..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Oh the banks will love to throw money at you, especially if you have an account in good standing. I think a few boardsies have the Pigsback one, I think its offered through MBNA, they have an application online. I'll try and root up the threads about it.

My mouse is teetering over the apply now link on pigsback and I've been rooting through boards for some info on it but haven't found a whole ton.. cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

funkyflea wrote:
    Hey Ruu, (bloody hell your fast) :P

I've been using a 3v card since they started and find myself spending a good bit more than the €40 govt. tax on the €5 stamp duty tacked onto every 3v voucher.

Same here.

What this about pigback can you get one even if your not working?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

funkyflea wrote:

Now I know she must have been getting commission or something as she was too eager.

No commission I'm afraid :p. But seriously If you have a BOI current a/c then it would be best to stay with BOI. MBNA etc would look to see bank statements (possibly up to six months :eek: ) whilst BOI would just check it on their own systems. An as well as that if you are set up on BOI 365 then you can register the credit card and check the balance

stepbar wrote:
    No commission I'm afraid :p. But seriously If you have a BOI current a/c then it would be best to stay with BOI. MBNA etc would look to see bank statements (possibly up to six months :eek: ) whilst BOI would just check it on their own systems. An as well as that if you are set up on BOI 365 then you can register the credit card and check the balance

Ahh thats music to my ears. Sounds more convenient to go with BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭elmoie

Just saw this and had to reply .. the two best cards out there at the moment are 2. Permanent TSB Ice Card (9.9% apr) and 1. Bank of Scotland (Halifax as of next week) this one is only 9.5% apr and 0% on transfers for the first 6 months .. this is by far the best rate of any card ever in Ireland and better than boi which i know is up around 16% :(

And never fall for cards that give you points, if they do the apr rate is usually 16%-18% which means you pay for the “free gifts” through paying higher interest so up to you, save 9% on interest and buy what you want or pay higher interest rates and get crappy “free” gifts …

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Credit cards are not like Laser , they are a form of loan. Start as you mean to go on , with good habits. If you are inclined to keep some degree of control and pay it all off each month then get the one that offers most goodies. Remember rates only apply when you don't pay inside the 56 days. You can always switch. Even 19% is less than €2 per €100 per month that you don't pay off. Danger of credit cards is when you allow it to build and that €100 becomes €10000.

Advertisement