Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis Crisis

Options
  • 27-10-2006 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I was enrolled to do a two-year MSc in UCC. Everything went well until the thesis part. I became completely paralysed and did NOTHING! It was supposed to take a year to do and it's supposedly due this month (or last, I'm not even sure!).

Anyway, my question is - what happens next??? Have I failed? Can I get an extra three months? A year?

I don't really want to go to my department just yet, as I'm a bit sheepish about the whole thing. I thought maybe there was some general rule I could refer to before doing that.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Rediguana.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭embraer170

I presume it's possible to get some form of extention.
    Do you have a supervisor? Have you maintained contact with him during the year? Maybe an honest chat with him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

rediguana wrote:
    I don't really want to go to my department just yet, as I'm a bit sheepish about the whole thing. I thought maybe there was some general rule I could refer to before doing that.

The sooner you contact your internal supervisor, the better. Do it Tuesday when the department reopens. Better still get your literature review and first chapter in a fit state in the meantime. If you want to consult the rulebook first then go to or contact the exams office before contacting your supervisor. There are two choices (but check UCC's rules) - you can request continuation (abeyance) with the clock stopped, or you can request an extension. Either would need an explanation, but the university is there to help and will help with any reasonable difficulties.

The thesis crisis is normal.

Exams Office contacts
    Masters thesis layout and submission
    Postgrad submission policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Thanks for the advice!

I phoned the Exams Office. They tell me I get another year to do it for a fee of E685.

Advertisement