Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raft Debate

Options
  • 26-10-2006 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

The following "people" are in a raft, you have to get rid of them one by one, until one is left. So the question is who should stay and more importantly why and who should go and again why.

The list of who's in the raft is
    Britney Spears
    Frodo Baggins
    Homer Simpson
    Andy Murray
    Harry Potter
    Tony Blair

Oh and this is to help my 12yo with her homework so please try to keep it clean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I'm pretty sure the homework is for your child and your child alone with reason... *sigh*

Britney Spears
    Frodo Baggins
    Homer Simpson
    Andy Murray
    Harry Potter
    Tony Blair

Okay.. looking at this logically..

The first person to go would be Homer Simpson. He weighs the most and the less weight on this raft the best. I don't fancy the idea of drowning thank ya very much. So he's gone.

Next I would get rid of Andy Murray. Not entirely sure who he is but I just don't trust him. So he's gone.

With Britney Spear's breast implants and it being scientifically proven that silicon does float, I think she'd have no problem with it.

If Harry Potter were magical, he would've figured out some sort of way to get us off this raft. But nope. We're still stuck on this poxxy raft, so he's going for a swim.

Tony Blairs swollen ego would weigh down on the raft heavily so he would surely have to go. Goodbye Mr. Blair.

So, the winner and survivor is Frodo Baggins.

Edit:
    How do you do the strike outs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

The education system is really in decadence.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

OK guys thanks for the replies, I particularly like the Britney flotation devices and I suspect my daughter will too. I had better explain this a bit, my daughter has just started secondary school and is getting an introduction to the wonderful world of debating, next week she and another 5 kids have to adopt the personality of the listed characters and then debate who should go and why and likewise who should stay

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ah this is called "Ballon Debating" because it's usually a hot air balloon, but the same principle stll applies. School debating ftw! Balloon debating is lots of fun, she should enjoy it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

ziggy67 wrote:
    I would keep Frodo and Britney. They both have rings that i would love to do things with.

Well that's gonna get the kid an A. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Homer Simpson FTW... I think thats fairly obvious... Tony is first to go, not only would I help him off the raft but i'd hold his head under until he stopped struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

What if you were on the raft? Would you not be the eventual winner if everyone had been evicted by you?

I think TV3 should inplement this idea as a new reality tv show, it'd be far bettet than The Box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

cujimmy wrote:
    The following "people" are in a raft, you have to get rid of them one by one, until one is left. So the question is who should stay and more importantly why and who should go and again why.

The list of who's in the raft is
    Britney Spears
    Frodo Baggins
    Homer Simpson
    Andy Murray
    Harry Potter
    Tony Blair

Ok, I know a couple on the list are somewhat lesser beings, but why is people in inverted commas??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Ok, I know a couple on the list are somewhat lesser beings, but why is people in inverted commas??

Because she will be taking part in a class debate and the 6 kids will have to pretend to be one of the 6 people/characters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Simpson already has form for blowing up a raft with a magnifying glass so he'd have to be first off. After that I really wish you had made your kid pick a different class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Id get rid of Tony Blair first for sure - couldn't listen to him, and wouldnt like to be too near in case Bin Ladens boys came after him. Next would be Britney and Harry Potter. Homer would have to go cos of weight factor. Big decision between Frodo and Andy Murray - Frodo is a great guy to have around for getting out of scrapes- but would have to be Andy Murray to stay ( then I could ask him who the hell he is - would be too embarassed infront of the others::) :):) )

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

cujimmy wrote:

Good question: what did your daughter answer?

Seeing as this is not the help-my-daughter-become-a-professional-debater forum, I'll reply:

Britney Spears as I would like to have sex with her and I don't want those other people standing around watching.

wow sierra wrote:
    would have to be Andy Murray to stay ( then I could ask him who the hell he is - would be too embarassed infront of the others::) :):) )

Andy Murray Well, it seems is an up & coming British (Scottish)Tennis player - I suspect that a good British Tennis Player may be a bit of an oxymoron, but I suppose that I had better give him the benefit of the doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Frodo. Not only because he's the lightest but I'm sure he has experience in catching fish without a rod. He could get some din dins for you then

Thanks for all the replies. she has decided to be Frodo as she has lots of reasons why everybody else should go but still has very few reasons why Frodo should stay, Thanks again

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

More reasons to keep Frodo
    1. Samwise Gamgee - Bound to turn up with sandwiches, elven bread etc to save his "friend"
    2. Gollum - another guy who is bound to turn up. He can fish too. More food.
    3. Those big feet. Great for paddling, steering.
    4. Possibility of being saved by the giant eagles (rocs?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Keep Britney Spears just to keep me entertained, don't give a **** what order the others go in, I'd dump them all as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Piste wrote:
    Ah this is called "Ballon Debating" because it's usually a hot air balloon
    In which case you throw out the fattest one.

Advertisement