Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy a bjj gi in ireland

Options
  • 26-10-2006 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

to piggyback another thread aboout spending a little extra cash on gear, i need to get a gi fairly quickly.
    i may go to where i buy them online but i was wondering if anybody has a source around dublin for bjj gi's. i need an A4. and want something decent like a koral or keiko racca.
    if anyone has any ideas then let me know
    thanks ahead of time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

nirish wrote:
    to piggyback another thread aboout spending a little extra cash on gear, i need to get a gi fairly quickly.
    i may go to where i buy them online but i was wondering if anybody has a source around dublin for bjj gi's. i need an A4. and want something decent like a koral or keiko racca.
    if anyone has any ideas then let me know
    thanks ahead of time

Try www.fightlord.com they are doing ATAMA and DRAGAO at a good price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭j.griff

nirish
    you have p.m.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I presume you're not interested in a judogi. The fightingfilms brand of judogi are a close enough cut to the BJJ gi. PM if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭ninjawitatitude

Hey folk,
    Just a quickie. What's the difference (if any) between a judo gi and a bjj gi? i imagingine its all the same no? or have i missed something?

Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sir Tapsalot

Basically the same, though BJJ gis are generally cut tighter to the body and have narrower sleeves. Also the skirt section of most BJJ gis is made of the same fabric as the top, whereas with most judo gis that section is a lighter piece of fabric. Personally I think the Koral is the best gi around, though I highly recommend the Sirius gis (www.siriusathletic.com). A bit baggier in the body then the Koral, but fantastic construction and a great price too.

James

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I have an atama gold weave and out of all the gi's I've had, it's the best.. very light so you dont overheat or dont feel overweight, strong and doesnt ear, suitable for competition.

If you are getting a gi, atama is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Millionaire

155 euro for a bjj gi! is armani making them or something!

thats fierce price!

What are they made of material wise, that makes them so expensive?

What does a BJJ man look for in a good suit, that would make him pay 155 euro plus postage too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

thats fierce price!

What does a BJJ man look for in a good suit, that would make him pay 155 euro plus postage too?

I've had guys tell me they've paid €300-€400 (and more) for Judo suits!.

I couldn't afford to buy something that price TBH, or rather I couldn't justify it. I use 'Norris' suits. I've two I use all the time for both training and competition and the dearer one cost just €60.

IMHO most people here would be hard pressed to find the difference between either a BJJ/JJ Kimono and a Judo Gi.

thats fierce price!

I think that website is kinda expensive, it's quite a bit cheaper to get them off the atama website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I little off track but will rise a smile for the day...

when I had Rick Clark over earlier in the year for a seminar I never told him that the word 'Gi' is also a dublin slang word for a certain area of the female anatomy.
    O man when he went to talk about - 'someone grabbing your gi' - and 'don't sit on the floor for too long you'll dirty your gi' I had to just look away as the rest of the seminar choked holding back the tears of laughter.

When I told him later he nearly choked on his vindaloo - I think next time he comes he'll be on his guard :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nirish

Thanks for all the replies.
    i think i will go where i normally do
    http://www.brazilianfightwear.com
    got stuff from them before and it is very well priced
    cheers again:)

I ll work on getting you top quality BJJ and Judo Gi s for much better price than you are paying now. leave it with me a few weeks, I wll post when i have something for you.

You are getting ripped off big time... a suit is just a bit of durable, material, that is comfortable, fits, and maybe cooler to wear.

I ll get something sorted for you soon. watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

The entrepreneur in action! It's quite easy to get 40 euro suits that are fine for training in. But like a pair of runners, a pair of 40 euro ones may not be as good as the 100 euro ones when you factor in comfort, durability, material, workmanship, style, trendyness.

I don't think anyone is looking for the basic grappling gi, they're looking for cool ones. But if you can get good gis for cheaper prices I salute you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 John.D

Mick Hagan at SBG Northside has just gotten in a big shipment in of Koral, Atama and gameness gi's as well as shorts t-shirts and other accessories for sale.

So if anyone is interested in purchasing some quality equipment let me know and I can arrange him to bring everything up to the club a particular night so that people can have a look and try out for sizes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

John, if you have Mick's number can you pm it to me or get him to ring me? He has mine.
    Cheers,
    Barry

I don't think anyone is looking for the basic grappling gi, they're looking for cool ones. But if you can get good gis for cheaper prices I salute you!

The cool one can be "emulated" stitch for stitch, in low cost economies! ;)

anyway say nothing until you hear more1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Roper wrote:
    John, if you have Mick's number can you pm it to me or get him to ring me? He has mine.
    Cheers,
    Barry

You have a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

thats fierce price!

Both my Koral gi's (my first and second gi's ever) cost 150 euro after shipping (mmafightwear.net). It's a lot of cash, but I've had them 18 months and I washing them after every session and they''ve barely shrunk (maybe 2 inches on the pants length and one inch on the sleeves of the gi top. Definitely worth shelling out for a good quality gi, regardless of whether is 50 or 150, just find out what people recommend and get the one that suits you. For me, I tried the Koral gi on and it fit perfectly, didn't need to shrink it or any of that, bought the second one and it was the exact same, my third gi will be Koral also, consistency is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭illeagles_mcc

this crowd are out in swords

tatami stuff, few of the lads in the club wear them seem to be decent enough

http://www.ultimatemmasupplies.ie/index.php/brazilian-jiu-jitsu.html

There are 2 Irish BJJ Gi brands just after opening up....

Sub Only Gis

https://www.facebook.com/SubOnly
    www.subonlygis.com

Wolfhound Fightwear

http://www.wolfhoundfightwear.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I bought a Sub Only Gi and it's a great fit. Love wearing it. I would love to get a Wolfhound one too but I don't need another gi.... yet

I also have a Vulkan Gi but it feels very baggy on compared to the Sub Only one. Definately recommend Sub Only anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 freddyboiii

I have a sub only. Fits great, minimal patches, IBJJF legal and cheaper than most Gi's of a similar quality.

They've just updated the pants to have a proper drawstring too which was my only complaint with the first edition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭RoboRat

PM me if you are interested in a Wolfhound Gi, I know its my own brand but they are excellent quality and a snip of what you would pay for more established brands. We spent 14 months working with different suppliers to get the right quality and price.

We have a lot of domestic clubs ordering from us now and we have been getting orders from the US, UK, Russia, France and Spain!

Edited to say we can also personalise your Gi for a couple of quid more :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭AsianIrish

I sell loads of MMA, bjj and other stuff. Based in cork and have 20 clubs who buy tkd and bjj gis from me. I have a friend who makes them for many renowned brands out there so I get the price and quality. Minimum order 10 pcs in your own crests etc msg me on FB if interested. I do in koral, gold and pearl weave in all colours and sizes. Thanks

Advertisement