Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Podxt Powering problem

Options
  • 26-10-2006 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭

Well it crapped out yesterday, just turned it on and the light flickered for a second and i turned off, wont turn on since, no lil pops or clicks no noises no smoke, no nothing just wont turn on

So me thinks its the adapter, cause i bought it in the US and ive been using an US > EU convertor which has worked for a year or so, but sometimes it turned it self off briefly, but never stoped working like this before,

another thing is the line 6 apadter itself always made a lil teeny buzzing sound ever since i used it, i wondered if this was normal to have since it worked grand for so long

i think its the transformers im using, cause the pod requires 9v ac and 2000mA

and the ones i have are only using up to 1000>1300 mA so its getting powered but barely...

am i right in thinkin this or way off!?

Also ima go into town and look for an adapter with the right specs or even a line 6 replacement one, anyonw know what the stroy is?

thanks

3 threads in 2 weeks from me :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

-=al=- wrote:
    Well it crapped out yesterday, just turned it on and the light flickered for a second and i turned off, wont turn on since, no lil pops or clicks no noises no smoke, no nothing just wont turn on

So me thinks its the adapter, cause i bought it in the US and ive been using an US > EU convertor which has worked for a year or so, but sometimes it turned it self off briefly, but never stoped working like this before,

another thing is the line 6 apadter itself always made a lil teeny buzzing sound ever since i used it, i wondered if this was normal to have since it worked grand for so long

A quiet buzzing is normal for a transformer.
    i think its the transformers im using, cause the pod requires 9v ac and 2000mA

and the ones i have are only using up to 1000>1300 mA so its getting powered but barely...

am i right in thinkin this or way off!?

The circuit in the pod will draw the current it needs. Probably never really as high as 2000mA (that'd be the max) but likely above what the transformer is rated for. So basically the transformer is passing more current than it can realistically handle. This causes it to overheat. Time after time this wears it down. Something melts, coil shorts, fuse blows, transformer is no more.
    Also ima go into town and look for an adapter with the right specs or even a line 6 replacement one, anyonw know what the stroy is?

Bring the unit with you into Maplin. And ask them to help you match a transformer to it. If you get someone cool, they'll test one for you and all. :) A regulated 9v and 2000mA (or higher) should be easy enough to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

well i gots the line6 adapter for it which is the european version of the adapter, brought it home... tried it out no show at all, so it must be something with the pod itself :mad: which is not good since im in the middle of recording alota crap!

there is a little buzz form the newer adapter but not as bad. so its normal!

but the pod itself wont turn on at all, Do you think its an adapter problem? or the pod.

also...if u seen my pedalboard thread, i was looking to get a voodoo pedal power 2, went lookin for one, cudnt find one anywhere, went to get some of those george L cables and jacks in waltons, none either, and i got ignoreed mid conversation with the guy in there!

Im not a happy bunny today, not at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Id advise getting a new 9V power supply in maplins to run off mains (screw the transformer for converting to american 110V). All the pedal manufacturers insist you use their own (sometimes supplied) supply but thats bogus if you know what you need. Just get a supply that matches or (slightly)exceeds the max current draw. Preferable a quality regulated supply but not essential for most pedals, might be for the XT Live though.
    Also, are you sure its 9V ac and not dc? If so it means it does its own regulation internally so they probably supply a cheapo 110V->9V
    I actually dont have any pedals that are AC though. Seems unusual.

i screwed it already! but on the back of the Podxt itself is says...

"Power Requirments 9v AC 2000 mA"

and the adapter i got today was the actualy line 6 adapter for it and the output on it is 9v AC 2000 mA

=/ So ive no idea what the problem is at all now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

It could be an internal fuse in the POD. I have an American POD Pro to which I plugged in european power. Thankfully there was an internal fuse to save the day. Although it was very small milliampage and the ony place that I could find one after much looking was Peats.
    Tha difference in humming could be down to the 10hz difference between US and European power. Let us know and we'll keep working on it with you.

• Advertisement

How do i go about checking/fixing the fuse in the Pod do i just take a few screws out and open it up?? i dont wana feck it up more!

I also have a POD XT as well as the pro, I'll have a quick look at it later and maybe give you any pointers I can. Is your POD less more than one year old?

that would be cool thanks,

And yeah i got it the end of summer last year or so

I've popped open my POD XT and I'm afraid that there's no sign of a fuse like in the POD pro. Not surprising considering that it has an external psu. Check out the POD users forum. I've found people there to be very helpful. It's here. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

At this point if you have no electronic knowledge you need help methinks.
    A fuse is about the only simple thing you could check yourself...
    If you want to open it and look for a fuse (near the power input most likely).

If in the future worst comes to worst and anyone you looked to for help says its totally ****ed post back here and Id have a go at it...
    In Cork though. :)

• Advertisement

ill be in Cork next week funny enough! but dads an electrician, so he'd be grand for looking at it, but its fecking annoying :mad: i was jus t making sure if i opneded it up i wudnt **** it up altogether

is there any places i can go to get somsone to look at it/repair it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I'm having similar problems. I found the input for the power supply on the unit to be dodgy and gave the same symptoms. Still trying to find someone to repair it myself.

iemailed line 6 service center in uk today see what they say, i asked around too ther seems to be nothing here besides a few people that might open it take a look at it and say hmm i cant see what the problem is

hassle of it all :mad:

Advertisement