Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treble glazing

Options
  • 25-10-2006 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭

Carey Glass now produce treble glazing in Nenagg. Called vista therm elite, 2 soft reflective coats, 2 argon filled 16mm gaps (window 48-50mm) U value of 0.6. Cost is 20% more than double glazing but 50% more effective. Spotted this info on About the house prog on tv and followed up with a look at their web site for contact details.

Also saw last week a reflective foil insulation for an inner wall under wood panels that also looks very interesting. Sean Gibbons U Value insulation D3 (01 836 5299)

Then saw on the Igneus website linked to Kloben solar panels (vacume tubes) linked to a small photovoltake panel for the pump so no main cables needed "Eco energy"

Got quite excited by all this being available in Ireland now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

got this reply

Information on Vista Therm
    Thank you for for E-mail & your interest in our products.
    Triple Glazing can be supplied in any shape or size given that a rigid template is supplied.
    Vista Therm Roof Windows can also be supplied in triple glazing but will carry an extra cost as the standard unit in roof windows is Double Glazing.
    If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.
    regards
    Sinead Kinehan
    sineadk@careyglass.com
    Tel:00353 67 50700
    Fax: 00353 67 33233
    www.careyglass.com

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Excelent to hear that an Irish company is finally producing triple glazing ,
    As I hope to start my new build next year and I was a bit worried by the prospect of looking to eastern europe for a supplier !! i wonder is the u value you supplied just for the glass or glass/frame together ?

I would say its for the glass only as there was no frame on the glass when they were discussing it on the tv.

Triple Glazing can be supplied in any shape or size given that a rigid template is supplied. this would suggest that carey glass is flexible in that you can supply your own frame for the window. I had not thought of this aspect: of choosing my own frame, and would welcome some advice.

Currently I have PVC window frames that are not very good. My sliding doors are metal frames and useless for heat retention. I would use neither of these in the new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Interesting to say the least .. well at least to me .. from my reading up on near passive / passive and zero energy builds . it seems that most builds are using triple glazing with wooden frames with the inside frame seperated from the outside frame by a cork gasket / sandwich . if anyone wants check up many of the recent articles in Irish building publications on the Mosart Passive house in wicklow you can see a cut-away of the window construction to see what I mean or any of the documented ones on the few passive housing websites out there .

Question would be though if you could find an Irish carpenter capable of making these frames who would be able test and stand over his u-value / airtighness caululations and what would be the cost of these frames !!

Me thinks i'll be back looking to the continent for money saving and advice for my build !!

As 2/3's of joinery companys in ireland are owned by Upvc companys they aren't allow to shout out.

We could start with these boys as they seem to have some experience with hardwood windows www.macbridebrosjoinery.com, and see if they would be happy to use carey glass. the cost would probable be more. but worth it as upvc may only have a shelf life of just over the 10 year gurantee whereas hardwood can make it to 35 years.

Specs www.woodspec.ie/woodspec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Are there any modern systems for increasing the effeciency of double glazing? maybe similar to the external rollerblinds on the continent. We have perfectly good double glazing and I doubt would be worth changing.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

From what i can gather, its back to the same situation as with single glazing:
    Add a new sliding glazeing panel to the inside of the window, Heat reflective blinds and thick curtains. Heat reflective foil behind the radiators, if under the window, could also help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NUNSLANE

The BRE carried out research into the claims by multi-foil insulation manufacturers. Their findings suggest that multi-foil insulation systems are less effective than their manufacturers suggest. manufacturers suggest 25mm multi-foil insulation is the equivelant to circa 250mm of standard quilt insulation. The BRE found the this form of insulation to be 25% of the effectiveness suggested by the manufacturers. If it sounds too good to be true then extensive confirmation is required....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Oldtree wrote: »
    Carey Glass now produce treble glazing in Nenagg. Called vista therm elite, 2 soft reflective coats, 2 argon filled 16mm gaps (window 48-50mm) U value of 0.6. Cost is 20% more than double glazing but 50% more effective. Spotted this info on About the house prog on tv and followed up with a look at their web site for contact details.

Also saw last week a reflective foil insulation for an inner wall under wood panels that also looks very interesting. Sean Gibbons U Value insulation D3 (01 836 5299)

Then saw on the Igneus website linked to Kloben solar panels (vacume tubes) linked to a small photovoltake panel for the pump so no main cables needed "Eco energy"

Got quite excited by all this being available in Ireland now.
    Wow you have got trebble glazing in Ireland now, wait is that 15,20 or 25 years behind everyone else :D?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement