Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far is Wilton a walk from UCC?

Options
  • 25-10-2006 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

I'm living near the railway station and it's impossibly far away. I need to live near enough so I can walk back after college(I finish up around for) and go back in for around 7 or 8, without having to bother about buses and crap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ogie16

It would take about 15 mins id say. would be a much better option than near the railway station, much closer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Isn't the railway station about a half an hour walk away?

Doesn't seem that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Orizio wrote:
    yeah, just about 30 mins walk.
    Doesn't seem that bad.
    it's not - unless it's raining like it is today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Orizio wrote:

Doesn't seem that bad.

Takes me about 40, and I'm not particularly a slow walker. Though maybe I'm counting the time it takes for me to go into the shop and buy stuff, not sure. What way do you walk it?

It's definitely too long to just "nip home" from college when you suffer from hyperhidrosis, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

The best route (imo obviously) leave train station, down old railway line alley, across bridge next to bus station, cross there and walk through bus station, down parnell place, down oliver plunkett st, cross the grand parade, down lane beside peace park, down towards hanover st, meet western road/washington st across from the kino, on out western road to college. it can be done in 25 mins if the traffic is with you, 30 is a reasonable time though.

from experience it really doesn't matter which way you go once you keep the speed up.

Don't stop in any shops - it ruins your time - and a decent pair of shoes is vital. I wear out the soles of my shoes roughly every 3 months, walking to college from the station each day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Rozie wrote:
    Takes me about 40, and I'm not particularly a slow walker. Though maybe I'm counting the time it takes for me to go into the shop and buy stuff, not sure. What way do you walk it?

It's definitely too long to just "nip home" from college when you suffer from hyperhidrosis, that's for sure.

I don't walk it, however this is my third year going to school in Cork so I know the area well enough.

There are buses outside UCC that will bring at least half the way.Other then that, your going to have to suffer walking in the rain like the rest of us.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Walk to Patrick's Street and get the number 8 in maybe? It is a half hour from the station to the campus, but traversing campus can add another 10 minutes sometimes.

deRanged's advice about getting good shoes is spot on imho. It would make your life much easier. The thing about Wilton is, depending on where you are there, it can be equally awkward to "nip out of college for a bit". I'd try and focus on a few ways to make staying in college for the day more manageable personally.

Oh and pick up a good jacket, it makes those rainy mornings easier to handle. (I'm thinking of a mountaineering jacket here, since walking for a half hour in Cork's rain is equivilant to spending a winters day on top of Brandon when it comes to getting soaked. :)

Yeah, coming out from around the Restaurant/Boole Basement area means I have to go around which takes a few minutes alright.

I still really have to move, I don't like the place I'm living in at all. Wilton might be a good bet if I get a house that's near enough the college there.

Any other places that are within (decent) walking distance and don't cost a bomb?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Number 5 or number 8 if you're feeling particularly lazy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

number 8 goes from outside the star and all along that road. Just get off at the bottom of summer hill.

How far is Blarney road? I find it pretty hard to navigate these maps.

Advertisement