Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Pickups

Options
  • 25-10-2006 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭

I have two Ibanez Ex series guitars, exactly the same only colour is different and one has some terrible pickups in it. The one with the terrible pickups i've had for nine years which i bought second was rarely used because it was beheaded! So I took the stock pickups (actually came equipped with a really nice set of DiMarzios) and stuck them into an old Jackson, a guy charged me £50 (€63.50iirc). Now I've just bought another Ex Series on Ebay, a very rare find tbh, it is also from 1992 and has the same stock piskups as my own one. The one i bought on ebay is pink so i want to switch the good parts onto my sunburst one. I've already changed the neck and a few bits of the floyd rose. Mow i want to switch the pickups over, I am fairly handy with wiring and stuff and I am comfortable with a soldering iron but is there anything in particular I need to know about changing pickups??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Use a low wattage iron when soldering/desoldering. Too much heat can cause the pickups to de-magnetise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Well, not too low. You'll spend too long heating the joints and in the end more heat will diffuse into the components. Getting in and out fast is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Well, not too low. You'll spend too long heating the joints and in the end more heat will diffuse into the components. Getting in and out fast is more important.

:eek: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

yeah you're right as usual:)...come to think of it now i went with the old solder gun as opposed to the solder iron any time i've changed pickups on my pacificas. The one problem i ran into was when i was soldering the ground wires to the pot chassis they all came loose and i spent a good bit of time (and a good lot of solder trying to get them good. :(
    Also dunno if it makes all that much difference but the pole pieces on the new pickups weren't directly under their respective strings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Went into music maker in city centre today and a guy called Conor in there switched all the electronics from the donar guitar into my own and replaced my input socket with a new one and all for only €40 and had it done in two hours... good man Conor!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement