Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing chance into notes

Options
  • 25-10-2006 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

do banks do this anymore? i have a load of 10s and 20s at the mo.. if i head into my local back so i have to put it into an account or will they just give it back in notes to me?

also shops would they take it? ( i mean in a bag to get a note not for goods)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Sort it into proper money bags for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

If you bank regularly at your local one, they might count it for you but best to sort it into the bags first as suggested. Some pubs often look for coins but normally just 1 euro or 2 euro coins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭afatbollix

its in bags... theres about 70 to 80 euro of the stuff.. havent emptyed them for about a year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What about those Coinstar counting machines, I'm not sure if thats the name for them they have them in some Eurospars (probably other places too). Dump all your coins in there, it'll count it for you, print out a receipt which you bring to the checkout and minus a small service fee, you can get your notes. I had over 80 eurons in coins at one stage last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Ruu wrote:
    What about those Coinstar counting machines, I'm not sure if thats the name for them they have them in some Eurospars (probably other places too). Dump all your coins in there, it'll count it for you, print out a receipt which you bring to the checkout and minus a small service fee, you can get your notes. I had over 80 eurons in coins at one stage last year.

The service fee is quite large as I remember, and is a % of what you put into them, not a flat fee. Bag them up yourself and bring them into a bank. They just weigh them to check them and then you can either take the cash or put it into your a/c.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I take mine to the bank every 6 months or so. Usually well over €100. The banks don't charge a fee. I bought myself a coin counter in Dunnes for €20 last year. It's paid for itself several times over!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

Do you need magic bank bags to do this? Do banks still give those out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

whitetrash wrote:

Yes & Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

whitetrash wrote:
    The bags are free. They make their money by charging a handling fee of 1-2% on coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Victor wrote:
    They make their money by charging a handling fee of 1-2% on coin.

They take coin free of charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

BendiBus wrote:
    They take coin free of charge.

Yep, that would be a sight. Bank charging you to change coins into notes.

It's free but in my bank there is two parts there is top part where everyone is, then you can go in back, you use this for coins.

And you should see the stacks of money :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

They charge a commision for vast bulks (hundred/thousands of euros) on businesses but for customers they'll change the coins for notes free of charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Sarsfield wrote:
    I take mine to the bank every 6 months or so. Usually well over €100. The banks don't charge a fee. I bought myself a coin counter in Dunnes for €20 last year. It's paid for itself several times over!

Sounds good, I save my loose change and have a huge amount at the end of each year. Does the machine sort the coins or just count them and you have to put in one type of coin at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

As far as I know a shop will have to accept up to 50 coins for a purchase if that helps. Just go to do your weekly shopping and if you have 1000 coins, divide your groceries into 20 separate trollies to pay for separately:D

Advertisement