Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dated mentally handicapped girl

Options
  • 24-10-2006 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I got a phone number off a girl 2 weeks ago. We texted, talked on the phone etc. Anyway we met up yesterday and I have a concern.

Over the course of the date I started to think that she might have some sort of mild mental handicap. She is pretty and cheerful and I think more than usually childish. I have some experience of people with mild mental handicap.

Should I try and get in touch with her parents or is it none of my business?

CG

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

why would you want to get in touch with her parents? is she not entitled to go on dates because she may or may not have some issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Is she jessica simpson mild mental, because that might be ok :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

run away. she's nowhere near good enough for someone as perfect as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Maccattack wrote:
    run away. she's nowhere near good enough for someone as perfect as you.

ching!

If you don't wanna see the girl again, then don't see the girl again. What if she had been abnormally boring and shy? Would you want to ring the parents too?

If you think there is a real problem there then do the 'lets be friends' thing, see what is actually going on and see which way you'd like to proceed. You should like a nice guy, but this is overthinking a potentially nonexistant problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I got a phone number off a girl 2 weeks ago. We texted, talked on the phone etc. Anyway we met up yesterday and I have a concern.

Over the course of the date I started to think that she might have some sort of mild mental handicap. She is pretty and cheerful and I think more than usually childish. I have some experience of people with mild mental handicap.

Should I try and get in touch with her parents or is it none of my business?

CG

I seriously doubt that there is anything you know (or think you know) about this girl that her parents are not aware of. What would you say anyway, "I met your daughter for a coffee yesterday and this may shock you to learn but I think she is mentally disabled".

If you don't want to see her again that fine, but, while I imagine you intentions are good, you don't want to be talking to her parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Which one is supposedly mentally handicapped again?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If she has a slight mental handicap how the f ck am I up myself for being concerned that she is dating guys? I don't mind the lets be friends thing but:
    I am concerned that she could be vulnerable, she told me that she meets alot of weirdoes (HA HA) Macattack I am going to report your post.

CG

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"I'm thinking of boning your daughter, but could you tell me if she's legally fit to give consent?"

If she was at risk (through mental handicap), then it's likely that her parents or otherwise the person who has taken the responsibility of looking after her wouldn't let her go out on dates with guys she's only just met.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

I think people are jumping to shocked reactions a little bit. Whether the OP's reasons for asking are selfish or not, if he suspects that she has a condition, it may be important for her wellfare for him to know about it.
    I have a friend with a condition... I won't say what it is... and because I knew about it, I was able give her her medication when she needed it one time. Saved her life

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Lynfo

Firstly, the phrase 'mentally handicapped' went out with the dark ages.
    Secondly, you have no reason whatsoever to go to her parents - why oh why would you do this????
    Thirdly, don't break this girls heart, if she is as vulnerable as you say then treat her nicely and if you just want to be friends then tell her that in no uncertain terms, try not to give her the impression that something might blossom because most likely she will end up devastated.
    I know what I'm talking about here, my sister is, as you so crudely put it 'mentally handicapped'. (I prefer the phrase 'slow learner' but each to their own) She had the same kind of experience and was totally devastated.
    If you're not able for this kind of relationship then I suggest you go and do some serious thinking and possibly some serious growing up too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

If she has a slight mental handicap how the f ck am I up myself for being concerned that she is dating guys? I don't mind the lets be friends thing but:
    I am concerned that she could be vulnerable, she told me that she meets alot of weirdoes (HA HA) Macattack I am going to report your post.

CG

If that is the reason for your post why have you posted anon?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

IShould I try and get in touch with her parents or is it none of my business?

I don't see how it is any of your business, nor why you have posted in this forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement