Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an check for STD's?.

Options
  • 24-10-2006 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Whats involved in getting tested?.

I've no real cause for concern, TBH its more out of curiosity than anything else as I've only ever had one partner who I've had unprotected sex with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

If you're male.....

they'll take some swabs which basically involves sticking the tip of what looks like a large cotton bud into the opening of your penis. It sounds worse than it is.
    They can test for most STDs that way as far as I know.

They'll also do a blood test for HIV. Involved taking about 4/5 vials of blood in my case.

If you're female.....I have absolutely no idea. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

They'll ask you what sexual activites you've engaged in, your tests will be based on your answers, so for me they tested:

* swab from the back of my throat,
    * stuck that cotton bud thingy up my penis (stings a little but its grand)
    * poked another bud up my bum hole
    * urine sample
    * blood test (3 / 4 viles, can't remember!)

And you get an option to talk to a psychologist about safe sex and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks for the replies guys.

But dammit I'm not at high enough risk to have a cotton bud stuck down the eye of my flute :eek:

(***I hope not anyhow***)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

You should also note, it takes 3 months for HIV to show up in a test, you are however highly contagious soon after infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mairt wrote:

But dammit I'm not at high enough risk to have a cotton bud stuck down the eye of my flute :eek:

(***I hope not anyhow***)

It is like pregnancy, it can only take the once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

From my favorite website -
    sex.ie wrote:
    You have four choices if you want to get tested for sex diseases in Dublin -

Do nothing
    Go to your GP who will take a blood sample and a swab from inside your urethra or vagina
    Go to one of the Gay Health Clinics
    Go to St. James’s Hospital’s GUIDE Clinic

Most people do either 1 or 4. Bear in mind, particularly if you’re female, it’s not uncommon to show no symptoms when you’re infected with a sex disease.

I’ve been to St. James’s GUIDE Clinic five times. On two occasions they were closed, the other three were a bit of a nightmare.

This is how it works…

The clinic frequently changes its closing and opening times, and is often closed for no apparent reason. At the moment they’re open Monday and Friday morning, and Tuesday and Thursday afternoon.

You need to arrive before 7.30 AM to have any chance of getting a ticket to be seen. Hundreds of people want to be seen every day, but there are only a few dozen tickets available.

Expect to spend an entire day in the clinic.

You start off in the conservatory waiting room. You will not have spoken to anyone at this stage, although you will have filled out a little questionaire. The digital counter above the door relates to the ticket numbers. After a few hours of waiting, they will call your ticket number. Go through the door and speak to the receptionist. You will then be asked to sit down in the official waiting room.

If you’re lucky, a nurse or counselor will speak to you before you see a Doctor.

After a few more hours in the waiting room, a Doctor will call your name. She (all the Doctors are female) will bring you to a room and will ask you some questions about your sex life. Although she’ll be nonjudgmental, some of the questions are quite personal, such as “how many people have you slept with?” and “do you use condoms?”

Depending on what you want to be tested for, the Doctor will take a swab from the inside your urethra or vagina, and you’ll then be asked to give a blood and urine sample.

They test for pretty much every sex disease except Genital Warts. “If you’re sexually active, you already have Genital Warts”, the Doctor told me.

If you’re male, you will be asked to wait as they can tell fairly quickly (within an hour) whether or not you have Chlamydia. If you do, you will get treatment immediately. For some reason they can’t do this test for females.

You will then be sent home.

Two weeks later, you need to return to the hospital. You can go straight to the receptionist and then through to the official waiting room. Expect to be in the Clinic for a number of hours as you await your results.

The entire process is free of charge, very boring, and mildly depressing. Bring a book, and be aware you’ll be surrounded by dozens of other people in the same situation as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Just wondering, Is there any symtoms of std. Who is the best person to talk to other than a GP. Im curious same as the Original poster. Hope im clear:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Mairt wrote:

Let's put it this way, if you've stuck the "eye of your flute" anywhere potentially dangerous, then be prepared for the consequences. It really only does take one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

drdre wrote:
    Just wondering, Is there any symtoms of std. Who is the best person to talk to other than a GP. Im curious same as the Original poster. Hope im clear:rolleyes:

The symptoms depend on the STI. Generally, if there's anything wrong down below, then you're best advised to take a visit to your GP, or local STI clinic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 BackwardRussia

Basically from my experience what's involved is:

Not urinating for 8 hours before the test, can be hard if your test is in the morning but has to be done.

The first thing they did was take a blood sample from my arm. No problem there.

Second they asked me to lie on the bed thing (you know those things in doctors surgery's) and pull my trousers/boxers down to my knees. They had a curtain around the bed, and they gave me a large paper towel to cover myself. Then the doctor came in and told me to take a deep breath in. (This was the swab/"cotton bud down the eye of your flute" test). Before I had even finished taking the breath in, he was finished. Literally took less than a second. Didn't feel a thing, so don't be scared about that part.

Thirdly I was given a container and asked to go into the toilet and half fill it with urine. Again no problem.

And that was the test over. Made an appointment for 2 weeks to get the results (they won't give them out over the phone). Was such a relief when they gave me the all clear. :) Like has been said: if you have had unprotected sex and suspect you have contracted HIV, it can take up to 3 months for the antibodies to develop in your blood. And the test searches for the presence of these antibodies.

And the message folks is: Now matter how drunk/stoned/wasted you are, use protection! All it takes is one encounter to develop HIV/AIDS and then bang, you only have 10 years max left to live. Stay safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Originally Posted by sex.ie
    You have four choices if you want to get tested for sex diseases in Dublin -

Do nothing
    Go to your GP who will take a blood sample and a swab from inside your urethra or vagina
    Go to one of the Gay Health Clinics
    Go to St. James’s Hospital’s GUIDE Clinic

Most people do either 1 or 4. Bear in mind, particularly if you’re female, it’s not uncommon to show no symptoms when you’re infected with a sex disease.

I’ve been to St. James’s GUIDE Clinic five times. On two occasions they were closed, the other three were a bit of a nightmare.

This is how it works…

The clinic frequently changes its closing and opening times, and is often closed for no apparent reason. At the moment they’re open Monday and Friday morning, and Tuesday and Thursday afternoon.

You need to arrive before 7.30 AM to have any chance of getting a ticket to be seen. Hundreds of people want to be seen every day, but there are only a few dozen tickets available.

Expect to spend an entire day in the clinic.

You start off in the conservatory waiting room. You will not have spoken to anyone at this stage, although you will have filled out a little questionaire. The digital counter above the door relates to the ticket numbers. After a few hours of waiting, they will call your ticket number. Go through the door and speak to the receptionist. You will then be asked to sit down in the official waiting room.

If you’re lucky, a nurse or counselor will speak to you before you see a Doctor.

After a few more hours in the waiting room, a Doctor will call your name. She (all the Doctors are female) will bring you to a room and will ask you some questions about your sex life. Although she’ll be nonjudgmental, some of the questions are quite personal, such as “how many people have you slept with?” and “do you use condoms?”

Depending on what you want to be tested for, the Doctor will take a swab from the inside your urethra or vagina, and you’ll then be asked to give a blood and urine sample.

They test for pretty much every sex disease except Genital Warts. “If you’re sexually active, you already have Genital Warts”, the Doctor told me.

If you’re male, you will be asked to wait as they can tell fairly quickly (within an hour) whether or not you have Chlamydia. If you do, you will get treatment immediately. For some reason they can’t do this test for females.

You will then be sent home.

Two weeks later, you need to return to the hospital. You can go straight to the receptionist and then through to the official waiting room. Expect to be in the Clinic for a number of hours as you await your results.

The entire process is free of charge, very boring, and mildly depressing. Bring a book, and be aware you’ll be surrounded by dozens of other people in the same situation as you.

Jesus, if this is what you have to go through to be a responsible sex haver then it's no wonder most people don't bother their arses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 BackwardRussia

That article seems to be focusing on just 1 clinic, the St. James one. There are plenty of private places you can go to where you can make appointments and there's no waiting aorund, or if you are in uni they generally give free checks to students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

That article seems to be focusing on just 1 clinic, the St. James one. There are plenty of private places you can go to where you can make appointments and there's no waiting aorund, or if you are in uni they generally give free checks to students.
    Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

i had a test done,and i thought to myself after why didnt i do it sooner,it was fine i was clear,thankfully,but it gets you thinking...it aint that bad as they have councilers,explain everything,heck you dont even have to give them your real name,as your given a number,which they call out.And you ring for an appointment.its free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Thanks guys for the quick response.Now the thing is where are the clinics in dublin.As mentioned before are there any privat clinics that would be quicker. Is there anywhere where i can get a list.
    thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Check the sticky at the top of this particular column for a list of clinics etc.And its good to get tested if you ever had unprotected sex, who knows how many partners your previous partner had.

Advertisement