Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gotta Start Somewhere..

Options
  • 23-10-2006 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I've been hankerin' after doing a bit of woodwork/joinery for as long as I can remember.

Wife wants a small square coffee table, (all very expensive in the shops), so I thought I'd try and see what I can do. So, I'd be grateful of some help on sourcing timber, tools, lacquers/finishes... and in general anything really...

I'm, not equipped AT ALL, No cash (new house, no budget), got an old jigsaw, a cheap drill and a good orbital sander so what do I Really need by way of tools etc?

Anywhere I can get cheap timber (big bit for the top, chunky legs), basic box construction, can be pine....

Sorry if I'm too amateurish for here, these are probably obvious questions etc.. I am planning on getting a shed up and running but thought I could start small with next to nothing and see if I have any talent for it at all..

Thanks for your time..

Fatboy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Hi Fatboy,in terms of tools, a hand saw, set of chisels and some glue. A good book on joints wouldn't hurt.Wood, or cheap wood is usually sold as deal, any hardware/builder supplier would have it but getting a wide piece for the top your table may be difficult, you could get a 7 or 9 inch board and cut and join it so you have a wide piece. For the legs, if you want chunky a square nool post cut into four may do you, their fairly cheap and usually red deal or pine.On the other hand if you live in Dublin I have stuff that may suit, free of course, just come and collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Hi DubTom,

Thanks for your help. Much appreicated. Sadly I'm about 2 hours from Dublin and rarely get an opportunity to visit if not on business, but thanks for the offer.

I'll invest in the chisels and check out the wood... will need cramps if joining 2 bits together tho eh means dowels / suggs? (can probably guess the experience level from that :rolleyes: )....

FBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

:D Here's lies the problem, when you get started you realise that for every job a new technique is needed,which needs a new tool.I use a biscuit jointer for making wide boards, luckily electric tools are down in price, you might pick one in B+Q or the likes fairly cheap..ish.You might pick up a plane as well, them boards need to be prefectly flat to join properly:eek: see what I mean,it just goes on and on. It might be an idea to do a night course in your local tech, basically the same sort of stuff that you learn in school,but a good foundation on which to start.Best of luck with it fatboy.

Advertisement