Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiberno-English Lexicon

Options
  • 23-10-2006 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

I'd be shocked if none of you had seen this before, but for pure entertainment value it's a nice way of introducing people to "pop" etymology/linguistics :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-English
    # Nohjis - Twisted version of odious. Often used with the word 'fierce. 'The craic last night was nohjis fierce'. Common in Cavan.
    # Keeping sketch describes keeping a lookout for teachers, gardaí, parents etc. "Sketch!" is shouted if someone is coming. The term may derive from the Irish sceith meaning "to inform on".
    # Gob****e refers to a fool, someone who talks nonsense, or sometimes someone who is gullible.
    # Gombeen originally referred to a usurer (from the Irish gaimbín, diminutive of "lump"), but now refers to any underhand or corrupt activity.# Handy has more meanings in Hiberno-Irish than just "useful": it usually also means "great", "terrific". It is also used to describe a person's skill at a particular task; "Paul is pretty handy with a golf club" meaning "Paul is a good golfer".
    # Head-the-ball Dublin. A nutcase. From 'Hae'ball king of the beggars', a famous character in Dublin c.1760.
    # Hiace (as in Toyota Hiace) is used by many to refer to any light commercial van, much like "Transit" or "Transit van" (as in Ford Transit) in the UK.
    # Hoor - meaning whore. 'She's an awful wee hoor so she is!' Also means "rogue" or "scoundrel" (as in "cute hoor") - often affectionately rather than pejoratively. Possibly from hougher, a hamstringer.[citation needed]
    # Jackeen - A derogatory countryman's name for a Dubliner. From the small British union flags ('union jacks')waved by thousands for royal visits up to 1910.
    # Jacks : toilet, usually in a pub or similar. As in "mind my handbag while I go to the jacks". From 16th century English "Jakes". (mind means "look after") the words Bog and Loo are also used.
    # Janey Mac! is an exclamation of amazement or frustration in Dublin. It comes from an old children's rhyme: "Janey Mac, me shirt is black, what'll I do for Sunday?/Go to bed, cover your head and don't get up til Monday!"
    # Jaykers - A euphemism for Jesus; used as expression of amazement.
    # Jaysis - See Jaykers. Often used in the sentence 'Sweet Be-Jaysis'. Common in rural areas.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm not sure how much faith I'd put in the accuracy of some of those definitions, but an interesting read alright.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I told my (British) friend to keep sketch the other day, and she looked at me like I had two heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jenb

Interesting!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Faith wrote:
    I told my (British) friend to keep sketch the other day, and she looked at me like I had two heads.

that's nothing; when I was living in England I realised they didn't use the word 'press' to describe a place you keep things in (as in 'the plates are in the press')... English people I spoke to would look at me wierd if I used that term, they prefer the word 'cupboard', which is stupid and long.

There were also a multitude of ice-creams they'd never heard of (like Freaky Foots, Loop the Loops etc.), which was kind of sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Professor Terry Dolan (of the NewsTalk etymology podcast) is building a very detailed dictionary of Hiberno-Irish at http://www.hiberno-english.com/, sort of like an online version of his dictionary of HE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

flogen wrote:
    that's nothing; when I was living in England I realised they didn't use the word 'press' to describe a place you keep things in (as in 'the plates are in the press')... English people I spoke to would look at me wierd if I used that term, they prefer the word 'cupboard', which is stupid and long.
    Jaysis, I hated that.

I use most of the words in the OP on a regular basis, apart from Nohjis. It looks like the name of a Native American tribe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

flogen wrote:

I tested this out yesterday and asked my English friends if they knew what I meant when I said "Take the cup out of the press". One of them valiently replied "Yeah, you mean take it out of the hotpress!" Silly people.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

Kwekubo wrote: »
    Professor Terry Dolan (of the NewsTalk etymology podcast) is building a very detailed dictionary of Hiberno-Irish at http://www.hiberno-english.com/, sort of like an online version of his dictionary of HE.

The link to the archive doesn't work anymore.

Does anyone know of a way of accessing it?

I'm looking for a derivation of "keep sketch".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

A Cavan friend of mine said that Ohjis was common - he had never heard Nohjis used.

Advertisement