Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old news but interesting: Washington official quits after using racist comment!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Slow coach wrote:
    He used the word 'niggardly', and then quit when he was accused of making racist comment!
    So using a word that sounds a bit like the bad N-word is racist now?
    :rolleyes:

niggardly
    negro

It actually takes a bit of effort to connect the words.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I think I'd throw the towel in if someone accused me of making a racist comment for saying that!

Didn't Mary O'Rourke get in a bit of hot water last year for saying that her party "had worked like blacks"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The Barnhard Dictionary of Etymology traces the origins of "niggardly" to the 1300s and the words nig and nigon, meaning miser, in Middle English. It also notes possible earlier origins in languages including Old Icelandic, Old English and Middle High German. There is no mention of any racial connotation

That's where it came from, anyway!

Advertisement