Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls, how long do *you* wait?

Options
  • 22-10-2006 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was hoping that some of the readers out there could share how long they usually wait for a late period before taking a pregnancy test.

I'm a worrier so if mine is a day or two late I tend to freak myself out and into a situation where I'm too stressed for it to come even if my chances of being pregnant are super slim that month.

This month I've really tried to stay calm but I'm heading towards being a week late at this stage.

And btw there's no need for anyone to jump down my throat with chants about using contraception properly & disease being widespread or any of that as I'm in my late 20's with a long term partner and we always use protection. Alas I know all too well that accidents happen and nothing is 100% foolproof.

Thanks in advance for any responces.

How long do you wait for a late period before doing a test? 35 votes

A day or two
    0% 0 votes
    A week
    22% 8 votes
    Two weeks
    40% 14 votes
    A month
    25% 9 votes
    If I miss more than one period
    11% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

How long do I wait? Until it starts to worry me.

A pregnancy test kit is not a big deal. There are usually two test wands in a kit as well, so buy a kit, take the test. Then you've a second test ready and waiting for the next time you start worrying.

Life's too short when there is a product out there that can put you out of your misery in about three minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've been over a week late on a number of occassions. I wouldnt start worrying though unless I missed a period. Thats just me though. Take MinesBigsluts advice. A 3 minute test can tell you a yes or no answer in a few minutes, because, the more you stress your body out with worry, you've a chance of skipping a period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I would agree with the other girls. It doesn't matter when we choose to take a test - if you are worried you may be pregnant then that can stall your period arriving & so you worry more that you are pregnant - and so on...

Even if you are 99.9% sure you are not, just get a test and put your mind at rest. Even buy a couple so next time your period is late & you are panicking, you can test...I think the digital tests can show if you are pregnant after only a couple of days & by testing for a hormone only found in pregnant women the chances of a false negative are greatly reduced. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

The last time i had a scare i did 12 early pregnancy tests before i was even due my period (and before the test was even going to work!!). All negative but that still didnt ease my mind..

My period arrived right on time. My purse was a hell of a lot lighter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

The one and only time I've ever done a pregnancy test was June last year, and I tested 4 days before my period was due. The reason? I knew I was pregnant before any test confirmed it.. I just "felt" it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

I selected the last option because to be honest it wouldnt even cross my mind to take a test :/ i think i could skip loads of periods and not even notice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

That maybe the case but you have to consider your health and your options and even if you would be happy enough to be pregnant you would need prenatal care.

It's just not something i keep in my mind or think about ever. I mean how do you go about keeping track of it in the first place to know it as acuratly as being "1 day late"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I've had periods for the last 18 yrs of my life - not including when I was pregnant, obviously - & I have only 12 periods a year...it doesn't really take much thinking to work out if I haven't had one of a particular month. My cycle is fairly regular so it would always be around a certain week in the month. Even approximately it's quite easy to work out...:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well, i only have about 4 maybe periods at a push 5 a year - i am keeping the test companies in business - (and yes i know this isnt right but the doctor said unless i am trying for a baby it isnt a problem)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

It's just not something i keep in my mind or think about ever. I mean how do you go about keeping track of it in the first place to know it as acuratly as being "1 day late"?

Not everyone is the same but the average is every 28 days (hence the monthly's term).

I always keep track of mine so i know exactly what day to expect them, dont like them sneaking up on me particularly when i am wearing cream trousers.

How could you not notice missing a period? Do you not keep track so you know when to expect it? I start to worry if I'm one day late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I'm a worrier also and I panic if they are even a day late so I take a test, thankfully they have only be late twice but my God the sheer panic when they are is horrible. Self and partner are just not ready yet for all that yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

irishbird wrote:
    well, i only have about 4 maybe periods at a push 5 a year - i am keeping the test companies in business - (and yes i know this isnt right but the doctor said unless i am trying for a baby it isnt a problem)
    Thats interesting, I think I'm like that too.
    I've been on the Pill for a good while now so naturally have a "period" every month. Somtimes I've had to come off it e.g. to have my wisdom teeth out, knee surgery etc and each of those times have been totally freaked out about getting pregnant and spent a bloody fortune on tests. When I counted back over the days between them, there was a 75 to 90 day gap. Before I went on the Pill my cycle was like that too but my doctor said it would settle down. That was a laugh given that I went on the Pill when I was 20 and have been having periods for 8 years at that stage:rolleyes:
    One of my three sisters is like you and me too and in the last 5 years has only had around 7 periods. Still that hasn't stopped her having a family of 3 kids in the last 8 years. *shrugs* I dunno women's bodies eh:)

Ok I actually had no idea other people kept track of this kind of thing, ive never worried in my life about getting pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It's negative.

Phew!

Now all I have to do is wait for the bloody thing to show up at some stage!
    (Excuse the dreadful pun)

I just know it'll turn up when it's least wanted now.
    But Christ, I'm not gonna complain!

Thanks for the encouragment everyone.

Advertisement