Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restless legs help

Options
  • 22-10-2006 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me with restless legs that bad i cant sleep some nights. I need something, doctor couldnt offer any advice only dont drink alot of tea.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Walking and stretching can help, hot baths or a massage perhaps. I think there are medications available to treat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,138 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can anyone help me with restless legs that bad i cant sleep some nights. I need something, doctor couldnt offer any advice only dont drink alot of tea.

Presume the doctor meant any drinks with caffeine? Do you consume a lot of caffeine?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Ask for a proper consultation with a different doctor. There is a disease called Restless Legs Syndrome that a huge number of people suffer from, but which is badly diagnosed normally.

I can tell you, from support websites, that the following four criteria need to be met for you to have RLS:
    • You have a strong urge to move your legs which you may not be able to resist. The need to move is often accompanied by uncomfortable sensations. Some words used to describe these sensations include:creeping, itching, pulling, creepy-crawly, tugging orgnawing.
    • Your RLS symptoms start or become worse when you are resting. The longer you are resting, the greater the chance the symptoms will occur and the more severe they are likely to be.
    • Your RLS symptoms get better when you move your legs. The relief can be complete or only partial but generally starts very soon after starting an activity. Relief persists as long as the motor activity continues.
    • Your RLS symptoms are worse in the evening especially when you are lying down. Activities that bother you at night do not bother you during the day.

If this sounds like you, you need to get it diagnosed properly by a GP or consultant so you can get treatment to improve your condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

My Dad had this a few months ago. A trip to his GP sorted it out very quickly. She gave him quinine (yes I know its used to treat malaira too) and it worked within 36 hours. Poor blood circulation can lead to it so increasing your exercise level should help long term, smoking can also cause it, so for that reason along with all of the other horrible ones associated with it, if you smoke stop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Get a second opinion with another GP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I used to have it. But I was overweight and unfit. I lost it all and got fit and it is no longer an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Am posting this from my bed having been working last night and the restless legs are setting now already. I find I get an overwhelming urge to twitch my legs or even just to tense the muscles in my legs. It drives me mad. I find it generally happens when I'm overtired.

I have also been known to slap my legs and even shout at them out of frustration when this happen watching tv in the evening... but that's probably more about my mental health than my legs. lol. Provides some amusement for my flatmates.

I've tried two gps and never got a straight answer or a cure. Just general advise about good sleep habits. Trying another gp can't hurt though.

Let us know if you do get a good answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Layla1981

Try putting a pillow under your knees.

Restless legs mean you are overdoing the walking, running or something.

A weekly massage will improve circulation.

Try wearing flight tights or support tights during the day.

Advertisement