Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vocals

Options
  • 21-10-2006 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

recently ive been listing to lots of post rock and eletronica not nearly enough vocal lead albums. Most albums with vocals ive liked recently have been either old albums if discovered or new albums by bands still going for a long time.
    I need recomendations of decent new vocalists/lyrisists im not nessesary looking for people with great signing voices in fact I often like ones that cant sing.
    Vocalsts I do like include
    Scott Walker
    Mark E. Smith
    Tom Waits
    Nick Drake
    Ben Folds
    Paddy McAloon
    Billy Bragg
    Cathal Coughlan
    Liz Frazer
    Tom Verlaine
    Nick Cave
    Mark Hollis
    Gil Scott Herron
    The Last Post
    James Dean Bradfeild

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

Ryan Adams
    Josh Rouse
    Bright Eyes
    Elliott Smith
    Built To Spill
    Sufjan Stevens
    Sigur Ros
    Wilco
    Modest Mouse
    Mew
    My Morning Jacket
    Joseph Arthur
    M Ward
    Hawksley Workman
    Neutral Milk Airplane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Ryan Adams
    Josh Rouse
    Bright Eyes
    Elliott Smith
    Built To Spill
    Sufjan Stevens
    Sigur Ros
    Wilco
    Modest Mouse
    Mew
    My Morning Jacket
    Joseph Arthur
    M Ward
    Hawksley Workman
    Neutral Milk Airplane

Thaks for the sujestions but most of them arnt that new altough I will check out M Ward. The reason im particularly looking for new stuff is I need something to prove me wrong that modern music is lyricly inept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

Try Interpol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

- Michael Gira (singer from Swans, his solo acoustic stuff is excellent, as is his new band The Angels of Light who are kind of psychedelic country and of course if you've never listened to Swans, remedy that)
    - Current 93 (David Tibet's voice is something you need to get used to before you can appreciate it)
    - The Drones (Melbourne band, a bit Nick Cavey but good enough to stand on their own)
    - Jandek (reclusive American improv player/folk singer, makes Mark E. Smith sound safe)
    - Einstuerzende Neubauten (my staple recommendation for everything because they do everything well, Blixa Bargeld's vocals are incredible and if you're willing to sit down and go through the English translations of the lyrics you'll find he's a pretty great writer too)
    - A Silver Mt. Zion (Godspeed spin-off, unusual but great vocals)
    - Fovea Hex (Irish experimental/minimal electronic folk group, beautiful vocals from Clodagh Simonds)

• Advertisement
Advertisement