Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epiphone Valve Junior Combo

Options
  • 19-10-2006 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭

In accordance with my oath to the Guitar Fetishist's Society I now present pix of my new Epiphone Valve Junior Combo.

273838185_bac33845e9.jpg273817485_952148d485.jpg
    273817482_690700089e.jpg273817487_ac17da2d86.jpg

This is a 5 watt valve combo for €145 with one 8 inch speaker. I bought it hoping to get some classic rock type sounds at home. I was very impressed with the amount of websites devoted to this amp and how people were doing simple mods to improve the sound.
    E.g.
    http://duhvoodooman.com/VJr/VJr_mods.htm (very good for beginners)
    http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9053 (90 page thread on modding the EVR - need to register with the site)
    http://www.valvejunior.com/
    There's loads more.

I have to say that it looks a lot nicer in person than in pix. Its made of nice looking materials and has a very solidly built vibe. The cream nametag, faceplace and surround of the speaker grill all match in a good way and as I say are better in person.

The key question: what does it sound like? Well, here's the problem, TBH I'm fncked if I know! This thing is WAAAYYYY too loud for any possible application in my house. (As was very helpfully pointed out on this board before I bought it but you can't tell me anything :p ). I can tell you that with the knob at about 8 o'clock you get a very clean "sick saxophone" type sound. This doesn't sound too bad at all with strats although personally I'm not a fan of any kind of clean sound (otherwise I'd play a shaggin' acoustic :rolleyes: ). Past 9 o'c its getting very loud and beyond that is so far unexplored. Tubular distortion is too far through the kids-crying, wife-accusing, neighbours-phoning barrier for me. :eek: It does sound good with my Boss Blues Driver and as you can see the speaker is about the size of a whole Microcube.

I'm not sure as yet if I'm going to send this back to Thomann or what.

Note on Thomann. I have to say that this purchase has put me off Thomann quite a bit. I ordered this thing back in mid Sept while their site said it was in stock and it was only delivered this Tuesday. All systems can go wrong of course but there was no attempt to communicate with me at all. The capper was that they sent me the amp with a 2 prong round pin plug and when I asked for a 3-pin square plug they replied "we do not supply any leads with 3 pin plugs as we only ship with the 2 pin versions". So **** 'em from now on. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

let us know if you are selling it. someone might pick it up off you. OR i could swop you a 10 Watt Orange practice amp and a few quids?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

"we do not supply any leads with 3 pin plugs as we only ship with the 2 pin versions".
    Musicstore have the same catch when buying anything with a psu. Found that one out after ordering my digitech fx board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Anything similar to this in a small bass combo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

If the psu is built into the plug you have to get a shaving adapter thing in maplins/poundshop, otherwise just wire a new plug, no big deal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

ooooh, noice. If you are thikin of getting rid of it I'd be very interested indeed! I could do with more valves without the excess volume. (I know you said it's loud but I live in the country and have total disregard for my hearing at times)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

That's disappointing Johnny. Ah well, you've still got El Cube.
    Seemed like such a cool idear though, eh? Maybe the next one will be better. They must still be having teehting problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Is there not a switch on those amps to change the output wattage? Like 0.5w 2.5w and 5w?

Or am I thinking of another small amp?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

GStormcrow wrote:
    Is there not a switch on those amps to change the output wattage? Like 0.5w 2.5w and 5w?

Or am I thinking of another small amp?
    I think you're thinking of the Vox competitor to the Microcube, the DA somthin'

fish-head wrote:
    ...Maybe the next one will be better. They must still be having teehting problems.
    There's nothing actually wrong with this one - its just too loud for me. I really knew it would be when I bought it but I was still hopeful :p

If the psu is built into the plug you have to get a shaving adapter thing in maplins/poundshop, otherwise just wire a new plug, no big deal really
    Thanks, its just the same kind of cable that you plug monitors, computers etc in with. I have several leftover ones. I just had a PIA that they dont supply the right one. If fact I'm pretty sure its illegal to sell electrical equipment in Ireland with the wrong kind of plug. Not sure about internet sales though.

I honestly havent decided what to do with it yet. I might try to make an attenuator as is mentioned on some of the websites I linked to earlier so as to get tube distortion at living room volumes. Also Thomann have a 30 day return policy. You guys will be the first to know if I do decide to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Pity about that Johnny. It certainly looks cool but seems to serve no practical use for you. I understand your issues with volume too. :(

We need houses in the country with seperate garage/studio room plus child and wife proof locks and a beer fridge....... eh that's about it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Don1 wrote:
    ooooh, noice. If you are thikin of getting rid of it I'd be very interested indeed! I could do with more valves without the excess volume. (I know you said it's loud but I live in the country and have total disregard for my hearing at times)

Pfft! Woman!:p I play a 50W JCM800 and my tone unfortunately requires power stage saturation, so I have to have the volume at ten to be satisfied. Also don't have an attenuator yet...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Pfft! Woman!:p I play a 50W JCM800 and my tone unfortunately requires power stage saturation, so I have to have the volume at ten to be satisfied. Also don't have an attenuator yet...

Or a nagging wife :p

Keep the valves, lose the woman... Sorted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Pah, use the valves to get the woman ;)

Just off topic for a second: This would sound quite good through yon amp...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Keep the valves, lose the woman... Sorted.

Pfft! My wench likes volume! :p

feylya wrote:

Just off topic for a second: This would sound quite good through yon amp...
    Possibly if it didnt look so gank :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

If fact I'm pretty sure its illegal to sell electrical equipment in Ireland with the wrong kind of plug. Not sure about internet sales though.

Only applicable when the point of sale is in the Republic, so Thomann, Musicstore etc., are not under any obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

feylya wrote:

Just remember to change the women as often as you change the valves.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

here, how loud can it possibly be? are the kids,missus and neighbours very 'strict' or does this yoke actually blast you out of it with the knob past 9o'clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Well, it's hard to convey in writing how loud it is but it is really an amp suitable for small gigs rather than home use. Obviously you can turn it right down but then you miss out on the valve distortion which is really the whole point of it IMO.
    Of course if I had that house in the county that Quattroste was talking about .... or maybe a little pad on that island where Keef Richards fell out of the coconut tree..... :rolleyes:

Advertisement