Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Farmers/Courses

Options
  • 19-10-2006 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

For somebody in their early 20's who's going to inherit the farm from their father, Should they do a course in agriculture? Do they have to take one to avail of any grants etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭maidhc

Yes.

You get an exemption from stamp duty, as well as installation aid, and some preferential treatment with other schemes. All in all, it is well worth doing.

If you have a degree or a HETAC qualification of a certain standard you can do a 100 hour course, otherwise it is agri college.

Best bet is to contact teagasc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes- Teagasc will have all the details.
    They have developed a number of online courses, along with evening/weekend courses- and the work placement modules of the courses can now be undertaken on the home farm- so all in all its not as intursive an undertaking as it might have been years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

They do have an online option which i have just completed, i haven't gotten my qualification back yet, but i have completed it.

You need either a qualifying third level course (and you don't have to have completed it) or a certain amount of farming experience.

It's supposed to take 4 hours a week, plus 4 practical/exam days.

it costs about €1100 all in and takes around six months.

Check out ecollege.teagasc.ie or ring teagasc kinsealy 01 8459000 and ask for Thomas Harty

Advertisement