Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interested in a golf society SW Dublin?

Options
  • 18-10-2006 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Am a 30 something male looking to join or talk to other patrons who would be interested in starting up a golf society to play once or twice a month.

Travel - Im living SW Dublin and anywhere from the Toll Bridge to Greystones would be appicable.

Playing off 21 at present, so not looking anything too serious! Lighthearted humour and drinking culture a must.......

Have played a few courses on the South Side and would hope to gather a few bodies and just see where it goes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

What way do societies usually work re fees........like would ya pay a fee to join and then pay (greenfee) when you play???

Also do you need a handicap as I aint a member of any club?

Offtopic Question:

Can you get a handicap if your not a member of a club???

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ms1972

You would usually pay a 20-30 euro subscription fee for the society and this would incorporate you receiving a club t.shrt or sweater. The green fees on the day are most likely reduced for society members (depends on numbers).

As for the handicap, most societies are registered with the GUI - Golfing Union Ireland and this gives you an official handicap after you submit 3 cards.

Most clubs associate themselves with a pub or club and this would generate a bit of sponsership which pays for trophys, captains day and monthly prizes. Every club needs a good watering hole for meetings and social gatherings!

Keep your eyes peeled for more peeps coming through and I will drop you a line if we can get the ball rolling.....

Cheers for the Info. I may have a few more lads who may be interested also.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

I'd be interested, I live in Terenure but work/play golf in Citywest

Have seen a blog also for a crowd in Greystones looking to put together a society to play South County. If your interested we could all submit details and try to get this going as a combined group.

I just google ''golf society greystones'' and this gets you straight in to the relevant place in Boards.ie.

Only a suggestion as I hope this wouldnt eliminate anyone due to transportation. Although I'd be happy to swing through DunLaoghaire or Terenure on-route.........

m.

• Advertisement

nobody else interested then....???

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ant_moore123

I'd be interested in joining I live in Killiney and would be up for traveling to any course in Dublin/Wicklow.

Anthony

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm very intersted and I have 1 or 2 friends who would be too. We are currently in a Golf Society in work wehre we play once a month and get slightly discounted green fees. Always a good laugh. Please let me know more.

OK lads I have been other wise engaged for the past couple of weeks and The Charlesland Society doesnt seem to be going anywhere....

I am keen to get this up and running as soon as, admittedly it will need to be the other side of the Crimbo Turkey.

Drop a private mail with your e.mail address and I will organise numbers for say the 2nd Sunday in Jan. There is a cracking little course up at Dublin City website is http://www.dublincitygolf.com/ its off the M50 at Firhouse and is a little hidden gem.

Hope to have a min of 12 patrons for the pilot day.......

nothing doing on this then??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 bassetsam

Hi, I have recently moved over here from the UK and would love to join a golf society. I am not great but love the game and would like to meet people. I have played mainly in Portugal, a bit in Wales and at the moment just getting some practice in at the driving range. I live in Dalkey so anything South Dublin would be ideal and to play at weekends. Let me know if I can join your group, Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bassetsam

forgot to mention, I am a girl! All other replies look like men, I don't mind that but I dont hit the ball as far!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭golfsocietyirel

you are more than welcome to come along on any of our outings. have a look at the fixtures page on

www.golfsocietyireland.com

we try to run an outing at least once a month.

you are more than welcome to come along on any of our outings. have a look at the fixtures page on

www.golfsocietyireland.com

we try to run an outing at least once a month.

Just PM'ed you there golfsocietyirel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 D4Dynamo

edit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Council Kid

Did anyone manage to get a golf society up and running? I've just moved to Dublin and would like to join a society to get a good few games in and for a bit of a laugh as well. Alternatively a decent and not stuffy golf club to join. Any suggestions welcomed. I'm based in the Milltown area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭cls

Hi I know this thread is a bit old but I'm trying to find out how to go about joining a golf society. I know most are groups of friends or work colleagues, but is there such thing as public golf societies and how would I go about joining one?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭arg

A good few pubs have golf societies associated with them. Normally they'd have a flyer up somewhere or just ask behind the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭conman

i too would be interested in joining... i live in Shankill, south east Dublin...

is it true that some societys can give an official handicap?
    i didnt think so before..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭cls

I should have mentioned I'm also in the South East Dublin area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭conman

cls wrote: »
    I should have mentioned I'm also in the South East Dublin area.

sure if you want to meet up for a game of golf or 2, just drop me a pm..
    theres a lot of courses around here..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BJLee

conman wrote: »
    sure if you want to meet up for a game of golf or 2, just drop me a pm..
    theres a lot of courses around here..

Hi, I'm living in Sandyford, looking for golf rounding mates. Please let me know if you need someone to play with.

I haven't got the handicap 'cause not a member of any clubs, but usually score around 95~105. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

BJLee wrote: »
    Hi, I'm living in Sandyford, looking for golf rounding mates. Please let me know if you need someone to play with.

I haven't got the handicap 'cause not a member of any clubs, but usually score around 95~105. Cheers.
    Hi guys,

I'm also looking for some golf partners or a society in the South Dublin area. I don't get out much so I usually score quite high 115-120. Hopefully thats not too below your standard, let me know if you want to arrange a game.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Guys, if you have a look at gui.ie, they have a list of all registered golf societies. I have played a few times with Knocklyon golf society in the past and they are usually open to new members. They play about 5 or 6 times a year but it's very well organised and most are members clubs also although it's not a prerequisite. There are golfers of all levels aswell and it's been going for almost 30 years. You can find their contact details on gui.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Just for info, Societies cannot give you a GUI handicap - even those affiliated to the GUI. You will get a society handicap which is usually based on the skill level of the members. Well extablished societies usually have a lot of members who are also members of golf clubs and so the handicaps can be pretty close to what a GUI would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

Thanks for the tips lads. It's a pity they don't state which are open for new members. I might give knocklyon a try. Does anyone know of any other open societies worth trying in the South Dublin area?

Myself and BJLee are heading out to Stepaside public course on Sunday morning if anyone wants to join us. Maybe we could get our own thing going on here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

Sorry for dragging up an old thread guys & gals but just thought in case anyone was interested, the golf society of which I am a member in looking for new members now.

Our first outing is in April and we play once a month for 7 months in clubs around Dublin and Wicklow.

If anyone would like more details then can just PM me.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MagsF

Apologies also for dragging up this old thread. Just wondering if a boards golf society started or if there are Dublin based societies looking for members?

I'm a high handicapper but I'm improving and am looking to play more this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CharlieOFloinn

Dr. Dodger wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging up an old thread guys & gals but just thought in case anyone was interested, the golf society of which I am a member in looking for new members now.

Our first outing is in April and we play once a month for 7 months in clubs around Dublin and Wicklow.

If anyone would like more details then can just PM me.

Cheers.

hi
    im interested in joining a golf society in south Dublin. are ye still running?
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 BJLee

The last post was over 4 years... but wondering if anyone is still looking for golf friends in South Dublin?
    I just broke 100...

Advertisement