Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elliott Smith Tributes

Options
  • 17-10-2006 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi ,

Anyone out there , know of any upcoming tribute gigs to mark the third anniversary of Elliott Smith's untimely death on the 21st of Ocotber ?
    Would really like to go to one , I know that there have been several organised beforea and sadly I never had the pleasure of ever seeing him play live as got into his music a year after his death.

XO

Amy

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hey, not sure if there's anything going on this year, haven't heard much, i have some live dvd's of him if you're intertested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Amy Elliott

Hi

Yeah That'd be great ,I've been looking around for ages for DVDs of him but it seems to be almost impossible to buy any online , and I've looked on loads of websites. I've looked on the sweet adeline website, people are posting on there with details of tributes to him in different countries, but no mention about anything on in Ireland yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there was/is a member of boards who did an elliott smith tribute sometime last year, i can't remember his name but maybe someone else will or that guy will see this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Please don't discuss the trading of live bootlegs on boards. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sorry if my post was hinting at that John, i didn't mean it to.

i meant more that maybe if that tribute guy saw this he may be able to say when or if he's doing another show or he may know of someone else that is doing a tribute show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

I put on a tribute for Elliott Smith a few years ago...I wish I'd thought of putting one on this year, maybe next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Not entirely on-topic, but check out the Ben Folds tribute song to Elliot Smith if you haven't already heard it. Ignore the video though :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrDfRngDhus

Thanks for that guys ,

I guess it was a bit late to be asking about it really, but thanks anyway for posting back . So it looks like I'll have to wait another year then, like you said Sweet Oblivion ,I don't think I'll manage to organise one myself at this stage as don't really know enough Fans/Musicians where I live..
    John I wasn't trying to buy Trade bootleg DVDs , I just thought that maybe there were legitimiate DVD available for purchase somewhere that I hadn't come across as of yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I like a good signer singwriter as much as the next man but I cant stand the fawning adulation they tend to recive in death. Its the same with Jeff Buckley.

I just dont get the idea of tribute shows hearing an artist ive loved for years songs murdered by whatever random sceensters want some exposure for theire next single. Artists should be paid trubute to by listining to thier music and apreciating it for what it is not an excuse for backslapping of how great a fan each person is and how they knew about thembefore everyone else.

Derek,

Yes I agree that sometimes Musicians get more attention after their death ,and yes I do hate it when songs I love are covered appalingly by anyone , but they are not always so , and as I'm guesing these kind of tributes are organised by fans ,I dont it'd be attracting any high-profile acts wanting exposure for their new single somehow.
    I think tributes , well at least ones organised by just fans are done so just a way of celebrating a musician they love and of making sure they are remembered and for no other reason but for the fact that this person's music was just very special to them . Sometimes just listening to a musician is not just enough especially when you've never had the opportunity to have seen them live , . It's also a way I guess of meeting other fans , I live in a small village , so don't really ever meet people who like the same music as me ,
    Call this Fawning Adulation if you will , but if that what this is ,then hooray for Fawning Adulation

:p

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote:
    sorry if my post was hinting at that John, i didn't mean it to.

Not you Cremo, sorry. It was in reference to lordgoat's offer about live DVDs.

I don't know, tribute compilations rarely work in my opinion. When Jhonn Balance from Coil died a couple of years ago there were about four tributes released. Number one, where were these fans when the artist was alive? Number two, it just seems like cashing in to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

I love Elliott Smith but I do think the best way to remember him is to go to the orginal songs-he himself wrote and sang!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

I went to a tribute gig in whelans just after he died & half the fukkers playing didn't even know who he was.
    fawning adulation indeed..

some fookin tribute

gawd help us when pete doherty croaks it (within the next 12 months probably)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Hey folks,
    I'm aware that there seem to be mixed opinions on the matter here, but for those that are interested, there's an Eliott Smith tribute gig in The Oak on Monday November 6th.
    I ran one last year and after getting a few mails from people asking if I was doing it again, I decided I would (It was very last minute, which is why it's not on the actual anniversary).
    The complete line-up is yet to be confirmed.
    xm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Ollie Cole covers Elliott Smith excellently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Where is the Oak?

It's under Thomas Reads on Dame St.
    The boy Cole is unavailable unfortunately!
    xm

John wrote:
    Not you Cremo, sorry. It was in reference to lordgoat's offer about live DVDs.

yawn! they were offered as 1) gifts or 2) as a loan. Not to be traded.

Is there anything not banned on boards anymore?

memaeve wrote:
    Hey folks,
    I'm aware that there seem to be mixed opinions on the matter here, but for those that are interested, there's an Eliott Smith tribute gig in The Oak on Monday November 6th.
    I ran one last year and after getting a few mails from people asking if I was doing it again, I decided I would (It was very last minute, which is why it's not on the actual anniversary).
    The complete line-up is yet to be confirmed.
    xm

Sounds great Maeve , Will try and make it up to Dublin for the 7th ,, pity there isn't anything on closer to home but fair play for going to the bother of organising one , who is Ollie Cole though ?? Mixed Opinions is putting it lightly , don't realise there was such an abject strong opiniona regarding live tribute shows, but then again I've never actuallly been to one ,.
    Would still be interested in just borrowing a DVD or two from you Lord Goat , that's if John says it's ok ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Singer from the soon-to-be defunct (and rather good) Irish band Turn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ollie_Cole

Sounds great Maeve , Will try and make it up to Dublin for the 7th ,, ?

Ha Ha! just realised what I wrote, God I'm still half asleep today I think , should really double check things before I post them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

I know someone who would be well into playing at it if you're looking for acts she used to have an elliot smith cover available but I don't think it's there anymore.

www.myspace.com/emmacunningham

pm me if you like what you hear

Sounds great Maeve , Will try and make it up to Dublin for the 7th ,, pity there isn't anything on closer to home but fair play for going to the bother of organising one , who is Ollie Cole though ?? Mixed Opinions is putting it lightly , don't realise there was such an abject strong opiniona regarding live tribute shows, but then again I've never actuallly been to one ,.
    Would still be interested in just borrowing a DVD or two from you Lord Goat , that's if John says it's ok ?

Ah I'll just copy them for you and you don't need to ask permission from people! I'll prob be at the tribute gig and if not i'll give them to someone who will be at it! Failing all that i''ll post em!

Hopefully see ya at the gig maeve, depends on work and what not!

lordgoat wrote:
    Ah I'll just copy them for you and you don't need to ask permission from people! I'll prob be at the tribute gig and if not i'll give them to someone who will be at it! Failing all that i''ll post em!

Hopefully see ya at the gig maeve, depends on work and what not!

Thanks Lord Goat, that's very kind of you , I hope I'll be able to go now , It might be a bit difficult cos live a good bit away and it's a wed night , but hopefully I'll be able to manage something

Hey folks, the line-up for the November 6th gig is sorted, there's a new thread up for it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52252974#post52252974
    xm

As people can't help soliciting/offering copies of copyrighted material (despite it being against boards' rules) I'm locking this thread. Start a new thread in Gigs/Events about the tribute gig if you want to go, it shouldn't really be in this forum anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement