Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buddhism For Beginners

Options
  • 17-10-2006 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi all,
    For the last 2/3 years I have been reading a lot of the mainstream published books on buddhism - in particular Thich Nat Hanh. I have attended Kilmainham on Tuesday evenings intermitantly for the meditation practice and meeting like minded people.

However, all seems so much more advanced then me! Perhaps we could continue this new thread as an introduction, of sorts?

For example - how do other people practice? Meditations? And what type? Prayers and what type do you do?

I am personally interested in the Chenresig prayers - I hear them recited at the end of our session on Tuesday evenings but understand little. Perhaps someone could explain these for me or point me in the right direction?

Is there an easy(er) tradition to follow or how different are the ideas between for example Mahayanna & vedanna (VERY bad spelling I know!).

I'm not looking for a total answer to the above in one go but for those like me (if any) perhaps some of you guys could share some of your experienced knowledge?

Take care!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Welcome Surionl,
    You have many questions here so please wait. Will get back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dermot002

Hi Surion,
    It's great that you've come upon Buddhism.

I expect you have already found that Buddhism is working for you, otherwise why would you still be interested after 2-3 years?

I've been interested for pretty much the same time period, or slightly longer. It is very easy to feel as though you're not getting anywhere, but as H.H. Dalai Lama has said, one should not measure ones progress in terms of months but in terms of years (maybe many years).

There are loads of resources on line for Buddhism. A site I enjoy is www.moonpointer.com

I have been to the centre in Kilmainham and enjoyed it. Other centres are Jampa Ling in Co. Cavan, and Dzogchen Bearra in West Cork. The latter is run by Sogyal Rinpoche author of "The Tibettan Book of Living and Dying". If you've not yet read this, you have a wonderful experience ahead!

There are three main strands to Buddhism. Hinayana, Mahayana, and Vajrayana. Vajrayana (Tibettan Buddhism) is a subset of Mahayana Buddhism. Tich Nhat Hanh would also be a Mahayanist, but I think he is of the Vietnamese Zen tradition.

In Buddhism there is great emphasis placed on finding a teacher. However to paraphrase H.H. the Dalai Lama once again, one shouldn't rush in to choosing a teacher, but should take a long time finding out about that teacher before you decide to follow him/her.

Currently I (try) to take refuge every morning and evening. I try to fit in a meditation on the breath in the morning session, and then in the evening I've been following the lamrim guided meditations as set out in "Path to Bliss" by H.H. the Dalai Lama.

Let me know if this is of help to you. I realise that you may already be familiar with some of the points I've made above, but just wanted to get the ball rolling.
    Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

than you very much Dermot. will start perhaps with getting a copy of the path to bliss.

Out of curiosity - is there a particular path you favour over others?

Thanks for the helpful info.

David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

dermot002 wrote:

I have been to the centre in Kilmainham and enjoyed it. Other centres are Jampa Ling in Co. Cavan, and Dzogchen Bearra in West Cork.

I'm visiting Dzogchen Bearra the weekend after this one. I hear it's supposed to be brilliant. Sorry for taking this thread off topic. Welcome to Buddhism. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

hi guys, a couple of great posts.

I'm not much of a joiner of groups. But i'm very interested in hearing talks from people more experienced than I. To be honest, I find group meditation next to impossible.
    I was wondering if anyone here knows of regular or irregular talks about buddhism and buddhist themes? In particular I'm very interested in inter-denominational views. If there's any talks in Dublin or the surrounding counties I would be very interested in being a member of the audience. however I must repeat that group meditation is not really my thing.
    thanks for your time.
    des.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dermot002

Hi David,
    You're very welcome.
    If I were to recommend one book to start with it would be "The Tibetan Book Of Living and Dying" by Sogyal Rinpoche.
    "Path To Bliss", get's you straight in there, it's not an overview as such, but more like a meditation manual. It therefore might not give you the overview that you might desire.
    Another great book is "Path with Heart" by Jack Kornfield. This is a wonderful book about the promises and dangers of the spiritual path.

I firmly believe, (as do all Buddhist writers I admire), that there is no place for sectarianism within Buddhism. Therefore I think that an open mind towards all forms of Buddhism should be taken.

Review all with discernment, and don't be too quick to decide on one path. Actually I've heard that you find the path naturally.

In this context, another book I love is "Zen Mind, Beginners Mind" by Suzuki Shrinryu, who passed away in the 80s (I think). He says that in the Beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there a few. Therefore he is espousing an openness to all knowlege, and wisdom, which seems to be a key point to Zen Buddhism.

Whereever Buddhism has taken hold it has integrated itself within the culture of that country. Think of Tibetan Buddhism, and Zen Buddhism in Japan. Both very different cultures that have somehow made Buddhism a central part of their culture.

There is talk of a Western school of Buddhism, and even a Celtic form of Buddhism at the moment.

However, above and beyond all this, is a far more important matter I feel. This relates to you yourself David.

We all come to our own path because of a disappointment, or a lack of fulfillment, with some major aspect of our lives. Now, that sounds kind of pessimistic I know (and kind of funny too), but I'm really thinking of it in terms of the first noble truth "There is Suffereing".
    Put more positively you could see it as the anticipation of something greater, out there (I really mean "in here"). Something that can give greater meaning to your life. Something that can help you belong more (to oneself, as well as others).

Ultimately, the path that brings you closer to your self, more at home in your self, more compassionate towards yourself, more understanding and forgiving of yourself is the path for you. Bear in mind that you might walk more than one path. Jack Kornfield in the book mentioned above, has been on a few, he writes.

Until you have love and compassion for yourself, you will find it very difficult to have them for anyone else. As the Dalai Lama has said, Buddhism is a religion of Compassion.

Stick with the things that make you feel better about yourself. Anything that's making you feel guilty in any way, should be a cause for concern. Also if your practise becomes laboured, then this is an opportunity for you to really look at the way you're doing it, and perhaps make a change.

As for me, I've taken refuge with a Gelug lama, so that's my path at the moment. The Gelugpa tradition is the one to which the Dalai Lama belongs. As you may know, even with Tibetan Buddhism there are (I think four) different schools. Sogyal Rinpoche also mentioned above is a member of a different Tibetan tradition, but one closely linked to the Dalai Lama.

Dzogchen Beara is a very special place, and well worth the visit sjones. I hope you enjoy it. The shrine room overlooks the Atlantic. Actually it's so spectacular that it can sometimes be a bit of a distraction. Let me add though that I've only been there once ( for a few days). Wouldn't want to sound as if I'm a regular there.

Best of luck,
    Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

dermot002 wrote:
    I firmly believe, (as do all Buddhist writers I admire), that there is no place for sectarianism within Buddhism. Therefore I think that an open mind towards all forms of Buddhism should be taken.
    Excellent post, I really enjoyed it. It was refreshing. Thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

dermot002 wrote:
    Ultimately, the path that brings you closer to your self, more at home in your self, more compassionate towards yourself, more understanding and forgiving of yourself is the path for you. Bear in mind that you might walk more than one path. Jack Kornfield in the book mentioned above, has been on a few, he writes.

This is so beautifully said! Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

I totally agree - that was truely enlightening and should really be a sticky! Thank you for that!!!

Anyone give me any advice re Chenresig prayers? Is there anywhere that has them or can you tell me what they are/how to recite? Am I correct in understanding that they form a cornerstone in daily practice? Also could 'ye' explain the Tara's? There is white tara & green tara...am I right?

I had a friend explain to me white tara, as you recite the prayers you envisage an image from a flower and build it up in your mind - into many colours and details - and you allow that image of compassion to enter inside yourself and emanate in all directions? Would be really interested to learn more??

Advertisement