Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad standard of reffing

Options
  • 17-10-2006 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

In the ladies leinster hockey league anyway, I have noticed that there is a very poor standard of reffing, especially in the lower divisions. This is because the refs for most of the divisions are provided by the clubs themselves and are usually players that are inexperienced at refereeing.

I don't know what the solution to this is but it is not good for the game. We have come to accept that a ball touching someones foot is usually not cause for a free, and don't even think about getting a free for a stick tackle or obstruction. I was once even grabbed by an angry member of the opposition, threatened with her hockey stick and the ref didn't even give me a free or give the offending player a warning, let alone a sending off!

What are your experiences and what do you think the solution is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Unfortunately it's very much down to the individual Lisa. And as we all know nobody likes umpiring! Personally when I'm dragged out to umpire I try to do it the same way as the good umpires I've known over the years. A ball hitting a player's foot is not always a foul (depending on its effect on the game at the time) and the line between what can be determined to be an accidental stick challenge and a deliberate one can often be hard to figure out in an instant. This can have huge consequences, particularly in the circle, where you're faced with awarding a short corner or a stroke (or a free out). The advantage rule is also one that gets abused depending on the circumstances of the match. This should definitely be tightened up.

I don't mind umpiring between the two 25's but when play enters the circle so much is at stake that I often feel huge pressure trying to determine the correct course of action when there can be game-changing consequences for both teams.

Generally umpiring is poor in the lower divisions because the good players/umpires won't turn out because they get heaps of abuse from both sides playing :D Tis a vicious circle sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I had a horrible game recently...the ref was really biased and aggressive. I believe it's the way this team wins it's games as we played them last season aswell and had the same experience. I think it's something we just have to deal with. Think of all the games where the reffing is okay. It's never really great...but I suppose we just have to accept it as part of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

MojoMaker wrote:
    A ball hitting a player's foot is not always a foul (depending on its effect on the game at the time) and the line between what can be determined to be an accidental stick challenge and a deliberate one can often be hard to figure out in an instant.

It is clear that you have never watched a ladies division 10 match! In one of our games, a player thought that play had been stopped by the umpire (which it hadn't), so she picked up the ball, got shouted at, put the ball back on the ground and play continued with no free, whistle or anything!

I know that a ball hitting a foot is not always a free but it is common occurrance in the lower divisions for people to kick the ball or stop it on the line with their foot, among other things, without so much as a second glance from the umpire!!

that's pretty bad alright...

our refs aren't that bad I must admit...but sometimes the abuse they get is disgraceful! I've seen a team nearly make a ref cry at the end of a game because they rushed over to her and started giving out stink and then their coach joined in. I think there was a complaint made to the leinster hockey branch about that tho.

Also if you are having trouble with the ref you should get your captain/your clubs ref to speak to the other ref politely and see what can be sorted out...

I agree sometimes it can be truly dreadful :mad: but that scenario sounds unbelievable even for division 10!! :D

I coached a team to the ladies div 10 title last year and I had the pleasure of watching all their games. Some good, some well dodgy! Overall umpiring was crap, yes indeedy :eek:

• Advertisement

Which team was it that won Division 10 last year?

PW 7.

Umpiring was atrocious at times, actually worse with the 'bigger' clubs - Three Rock, Loreto, and not so bad when playing clubs like RCSI, Naas, Botanic, Guinness etc. Oddly enough.

the reffing with loreto was probably terrible because we find it very difficult to get refs for the higher teams and younger inexperienced refs end up being forced to ref for our 6ths/7ths.

I could say something mean about PW but I won't :P

Wasn't saying anything mean about Loreto - that's where you play right? Just that the smaller clubs with less teams to organise on a saturday seem to be able to produce 'better' umpires - for the very reasons you mention. Pembroke's not too bad in my experience, there seems to be plenty of older ex-players around for umpiring duties. Tis hard for a club though - nobody ever wants to umpire!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

I actually quite like umpiring. It'd have to be a challenging standard though. Any Womens hockey is usually very polite and boring for an umpire. (Maybe not for a bad umpire)

Quite like umpiring a tough Mens game where you need to stamp your authority and hand out a few cards.

In general, umpiring in Ireland is quite poor outside of the top regional divisions. Umpires in Mens Div 3 (top 2nds league) are shockingly bad at times.

Having said all that we produced Ray O Connor, an excellent umpire.

• Advertisement

Mickah wrote:
    Any Womens hockey is usually very polite and boring for an umpire.

That's what you'd think!! The amount of umpires I've seen leaving the pitch at the end of the match in tears because of the abuse they've received from players. Women's hockey is far from polite these days!

That is so true!

Advertisement