Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL Network restrictions wrecking my head...

Options
  • 16-10-2006 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

I can't update my Anti-Virus, Firewall, Anti-Spyware or any Windows components on this network. It's wrecking my head as it means I have to bring it home just to do the necessary updates. Is there anything I can do to tell the network or something that they're harmless??

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Maybe email ITD or something?

Not being able to update Anti-Virus/Windows update is fairly draconian. I thought they only stopped Limewire/Torrents and the like. Obviously not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

In the library?

or student villages?

Don't think you can email ITD can you? iirc something was said back when we were having the trouble with mass spammage of the email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Funkstard wrote:
    I can't update my Anti-Virus, Firewall, Anti-Spyware or any Windows components on this network. It's wrecking my head as it means I have to bring it home just to do the necessary updates. Is there anything I can do to tell the network or something that they're harmless??

That's pretty odd alright, I'm assuming you're in one of the student villages. I remember being able to get AV & Windows updates from the library but the last time I did that was back in 1st year. What AV/Firewall software are you using?

If you need help configuring your laptop try the Library between between 14:30 and 15:00 at the Laptop Desk Connection Area in the Library. There's usually someone there that'll give you a hand.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

You do realise you have to setup your anti-virus and the like to use the student proxy when updating ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

spideog7 wrote:
    You do realise you have to setup your anti-virus and the like to use the student proxy when updating ...

Ah silly me this is probably the problem alright. If you're using Norton AV and its LiveUpdate facility then you'll have to tell it to use the same settings that IE uses. I can't remember where to find it but it's an option somewhere in the LiveUpdate preferences. This should sort out the problem if it is NortonAV you're using. Not sure about McAfee it probably has something similar to LiveUpdate. AVG should work fine without any messing about.

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'm using AVG, and staying in Thomond. I can't find anywhere that I can put in the student proxy...no help in the help menu either...hmmm

EDIT: Ah silly me, have it sorted now. Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

You have to set it up in AVG too :

Update Manager>Settings>Proxy ;)

Advertisement