Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes CLK info required

Options
  • 16-10-2006 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I am currently looking for a Mercedes CLK 200 or CLK230 probably around 1999/2000 model.
    Has anyone got any info on these, what to look for, avoid, etc.?
    Any info regarding mpg, things that go wrong and any other advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Zoot

I nearly bought a 230 a couple of years ago, but decided on an older W124 coupe instead (and I love it).

The CLK 230 is the model to go for rather than the 200, much better power and performance.

Make sure you have FMBSH and go for an automatic model with leather.

Watch out for rust.

Check out http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Are they based on the E-class or C-class of the same era ? You could read up on those too. Carsurvey.org is a great place to start, as well as Parkers.co.uk
    Zoot wrote:
    I nearly bought a 230 a couple of years ago, but decided on an older W124 coupe instead (and I love it).

Snap ! :D
    What have you got ? I bought a '92 230CE and despite a few niggles it's an absolute stormer. A lot of good car for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Zoot

They're based on the C class, and so inherit their weaknesses.
    Snap !
    What have you got ? I bought a '92 230CE and despite a few niggles it's an absolute stormer. A lot of good car for the money.

Got an E220. Had a couple of niggles too but yea - they're a stunner. Classic lines but with real road presence. Will run forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Jim79

Hi,

why is the automatic gearbox a preference for this vehicle?
    thx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The golden rule with Mercs is get the automatic. MB make a better effort with the auto gerbox than the manuals. The manuals are supposedly not that refined in the Mercs, or so every reviewer will say anyway.
    Also for resale most Merc hunters will be after an auto, so perpetuating the auto recommendations..

• Advertisement
Advertisement