Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horror that changed your life!

Options
  • 15-10-2006 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok maybe "changed your life" is a bit strong but com'on what films made a big impact on you when you were young?

For me it was CAPTAIN KRONOS VAMPIRE HUNTER a great Hammer Horror of 1974, though I would have seen it about 1984. It set me up by being one of the first horror films I ever watched and at the time it was definately the coolest. I'd love to see it again so i'll try get my hands on it but would be great to see it on the big screen.

If Blade wasn't at least slightly influenced by it I'd be very surprised! Oh and it did star one of the worlds top horror babes of all time, Caroline Munro.

Anyone else remember it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Oh and another for me would have been Cellar Dweller .... I used to want to be a comicbook artist so this had a major impact on me - pity its not available to buy anywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Two for me, the reason that these were life changing for me was the fact that they were the first horror movies that I watched and it wat these films that brought out my love of horror films.

Night Of The Living Dead
    THe film that caused my love of zombie movies. Not particularly frightening or anything but I fell in love with it the first time I saw it and still throw it on every so often for pure nostalgic value.

Nightmare On Elm Street
    I was only about 10/11 the first time I saw this and it scared the living **** out of me. Kreuger came across as the most evil bollix and that coupled with the dream invasions made me lose sleep for many nights. Showed me that its great to be scared by a film.

And before anyone says anything I know theyre both chiché :p

I hate to calls things like that chiché, just because its so common to have loved those films or be affected by them it shouldnt take away from it.

NotLD didnt do much for me as a kid (blasphamy I know) but yeah Freddy was made to f*ck kids up. I even think they made it knowing that kids that were too young to see it would get their hands on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Night of the Living Dead, not the original version mind, which although good, isn't overly memorable in this day and age - the 1990 remake is the definitive zombie movie for me, alongside Day of the Dead. That movie is definately what inspired my love for all things zombie.

It'd be hard not to mention the likes of Freddy and Jason either, hardly, again, life changing but influential in some way on everybody. :)

Another classic horror film I thought was "The Dentist" - quite creepy, not to mention, sick, stuff. Particularly the hideous "Truth or tooth!" game. Sequel was pretty poor though unfortunately, but the first one will stick in my mind forever. Hard enough to find it now, too.

HavoK wrote:
    Another classic horror film I thought was "The Dentist" ..... Hard enough to find it now, too.

I've never seen the film but I used to always see a copy of the video in my local Xtravision - its probably still there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I have one but it's not really a horror. It's Edward Scissorhands and it was the first film that I ever saw something die in. Well... the first film I ever saw someone killed in. It certainly opened some gates within me. I can still remember the shock of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

The Thing. Saw it when I was about 12 or so. Scared me half to death and couldn't sleep for months afterwards. Finally watched it in full a year or so later and I've been a horror film fan since.

6th wrote:
    Oh and another for me would have been Cellar Dweller .... I used to want to be a comicbook artist so this had a major impact on me - pity its not available to buy anywhere :(

It's being released on R1 in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Seeing the original Halloween for the first time. I must have been 7 or 8 years old. The atmosphere that was there throughout the entire film was so unsettling. The score made it so much more affecting, I'd cover my ears when scared instead of my eyes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Irish Gothic

George Romero's Jack's Wife, and Roman Polanski's The Tenant to name but two...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

Den_M wrote:
    Seeing the original Halloween for the first time. I must have been 7 or 8 years old. The atmosphere that was there throughout the entire film was so unsettling. The score made it so much more affecting, I'd cover my ears when scared instead of my eyes!

Respect.... 7/8 years old seeing a movie like Halloween......

when i was 7/8.... the movie i saw was ......childs play..... now thats F****ng scary at that age, Edward Scissorhands compared to watching people being slaughtered in horrible ways.... try getting your head around that at that age... I still cant....

..... must be strange, one of Johnny Depps first films being killed by a guy with knives as fingers... then playing a guy with scissors as fingers..... go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The horror that changed my life was infact video games and not movies.
    These video games were Resident Evil and Silent Hill.

The first horror films I can remember seeing are the Freddie Kruger films.

Advertisement