Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sluggish Computer - what can I do?

Options
  • 15-10-2006 7:56pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Dell Dimension 4600. 3.4Ghz, 1GB Ram. XP Home.
    Lately it has just been a little slow. Right now when simply surfing the web, firefox can take 1-2 seconds to respond when I click a link or type. When playing mpg or avi files it alweays takes a good few seconds until it starts.

I know I should probably to a clean reinstall but its so much hassle geting my pc back to its original state, resinstalling so many programs and changing settings etc.

Can anyone recommend some actions to try to get my computer running a little faster without having to wipe it and start again?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Check which programs are the memory hogs, some viruscans can do that. Apart from the reinstall, try the usual anti virus scans, anti spyware/malware, defrag cant hurt either and give CCleaner a go.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Dragging this up again. I have basic needs for my PC, I just do general windows stuff, lots of music and movies files, lots of web browser windows open etc and it's being sluggish despite a recent reinstall.

I want to do a few upgrades so I'm going to get extra 2gb ram (to 3GB) and was thinking of getting a graphics card as currently it's just on board graphics.

I am unable to find out what type of card I need for a Dell Dimension 5000 - can anyone help please?

What type of card should I be looking at? I never play games, but I do have a lot of 1gb avi and mpg files I play a lot and right now they are slow to start and respond etc. Will a half decent card help this?

Any recommendations?
    Thanks

Advertisement