Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog wanted for good home

Options
  • 15-10-2006 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

I'm in the Maynooth area and was looking for local shelters but from what I see Paws has moved from Sallins to Tipperary so just wondering does anyone know of shelters/dog homes in the local area that I can visit? My sister's dog died a few weeks ago and she wants to give a dog in need of a good home the same life that she gave her last dog. Or even if anyone knows of anyone that is looking for a home for their dog. We don't mind what kind of dog as long as it's a big one (she has a massive garden don't worry) as she has always had big dogs. Believe me this dog will be treated like royalty! And we would rather rehome a dog that needs a good home than get one from a breeder etc.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have you contacted any of the rescues, sometimes transport can be arranged if you spot a dog you like the look and sound of (usually subject to homechecking with many rescues) also log on to Irishanimals.ie and petsireland you can put your post on the Homes Offered section. You're bound to find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Beaufield vets in celbridge always have dogs looking for new homes on the noticebaord - you could try giving them a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

I know its an hour away but the Collon Pet Sanctuary always has loads of dogs. It's in Collon, Co. Louth on the Drogheda road.

I'm in Maynooth also btw and got our lab from there last year.

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 collieennis

Hi, my names colm and i have a lab/collie cross looking for a loving home. he has been our family dog for just under a year now and is a great pet, unfortunatly my new job is shift work and my wife is expcting our second baby,so we wont be able to give him the time he needs. i would love to get him a home that would give him the care he needs. please contact me at cennis@tcd.ie if you are intrested. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Summerjones

Have you contacted any of the rescues, sometimes transport can be arranged if you spot a dog you like the look and sound of (usually subject to homechecking with many rescues) also log on to Irishanimals.ie and petsireland you can put your post on the Homes Offered section. You're bound to find one.

Is it just me or are they a little too strict? I mean I'm not a dog murderer and the questions that woman asked me were unreal, she practically wanted my leaving cert results! I know they have to be careful but it's actually put me off getting a dog from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 DanteMancino

DSPCA - Mount Venus Road, Rathfarnham

Thes guys have a fantstic shelter and great services. They do a lot of good work and are my charity of choice. Ive got 3 dogs and some rodents from these guys over the years. Its a bit of a trip from Maynooth but they have a lot of needy animals and give you as much information about the animals condition and history as they can find out.

Lots of lurchers, greyhounds and german shepards last time I was up but also little beagle/jack russell X pups.

DSPCA - Mount Venus Road, Rathfarnham

Thes guys have a fantstic shelter and great services. They do a lot of good work and are my charity of choice. Ive got 3 dogs and some rodents from these guys over the years. Its a bit of a trip from Maynooth but they have a lot of needy animals and give you as much information about the animals condition and history as they can find out.

Lots of lurchers, greyhounds and german shepards last time I was up but also little beagle/jack russell X pups.

Thanks but I think it's a bit far in for me to drive...but thanks for the heads up. Just want to say that thanks to someone on here my sister now has a beautiful black Labrador and we're all in love with him, he's a great new addition to the family :)

A friend of mine is looking for a large dog (German shephard/Lab preferrably) for her parents in the countryside so if anyone knows of anything PM me seeing as I had such good luck last time I asked. Thanks everyone.

Anyone?

Or does anyone know what dog shelters/pounds there are in the Kildare area now that Paws has moved? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

http://www.irishanimals.ie/kildare_homes.html hey hope this link helps ya a bit

Thanks Racso :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Magoosh

I'm Looking for a home for my dogs, Have a look at them here. I am in Meath so am not far too from you.

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=42991

You can contact me on:

mcauleyr@ie.ibm.com

Ronan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 amymcdon

Hi, i am only new to this site so bare with me!
    Ok, well i am moving house soon to a cottage where there is no garden jusy open fields for mile and i need to find a home for one of my dogs!! He is 2 1/2 years old staffordshier bull dont let the name scare u , he is most affectionate dog ive ever had, he is a house dog but doesnt mind being out during the night either!! I am really gutted to have to get rid of him but i wouldnt want to come home from work and find him hurt or worse from being found ina farmers field!!! buddy is free to someone who i know will look after him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

www.dogsaid.ie

Based beside Dublin Airport.

Is Collon still a rescue ? I have met quite a few people who have bought pure breeds up there recently so I'm not sure about that one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

amymcdon wrote: »
    Ok, well i am moving house soon to a cottage where there is no garden jusy open fields for mile and i need to find a home for one of my dogs!! He is 2 1/2 years old staffordshier bull dont let the name scare u , he is most affectionate dog ive ever had, he is a house dog but doesnt mind being out during the night either!! I am really gutted to have to get rid of him but i wouldnt want to come home from work and find him hurt or worse from being found ina farmers field!!! buddy is free to someone who i know will look after him!!

I'd suggest posting a new thread for this.

I'd also post over on PETSIRELAND

As for the dog being a Staffordfordshire Bull Terrier, well you've come to a forum whose regular user's know, and love this breed.

Best of luck, it would kill me to get rid of mine guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Do you think your sister could give Ash animal rescue a call and see what they have, I am trying to rasis funds for them at present, they are very much in need of homes for there dogs, I will arrange to pick them up and get them to her if she see's a dog she likes, I'll even pick her up and bring her down myself.

If she finds nothing there I have a rough collie a bit of a silly head and a Grey hound that will break my heart to part with he so gentle and yet protective, he has to be rehomed because he dosen't get on with cats but he is a real ladies dog and gets on with everyone he's house trained and very clean both came into me in bad condition the collie I feel was put in a back yard and left and the grey hound was beaten and stabbed but he shows no resentment to towards humans for this as this was how he grow up. They are both in good health and the collie is on the books to be fixed soon. I have a problom with getting photo's up at the minute but if she's intrested in seeing them I've no problom driving them up for her to meet them, this will of course be a home check as well weather she wants one of mine or one from ash but things sound good already or I can texted photo's just pm me if you want them.

But do have a look at the site. http://www.ashanimalrescue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Don't go near Collon. They are now breeding and selling dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

Do you think your sister could give Ash animal rescue a call and see what they have, I am trying to rasis funds for them at present, they are very much in need of homes for there dogs, I will arrange to pick them up and get them to her if she see's a dog she likes, I'll even pick her up and bring her down myself.

If she finds nothing there I have a rough collie a bit of a silly head and a Grey hound that will break my heart to part with he so gentle and yet protective, he has to be rehomed because he dosen't get on with cats but he is a real ladies dog and gets on with everyone he's house trained and very clean both came into me in bad condition the collie I feel was put in a back yard and left and the grey hound was beaten and stabbed but he shows no resentment to towards humans for this as this was how he grow up. They are both in good health and the collie is on the books to be fixed soon. I have a problom with getting photo's up at the minute but if she's intrested in seeing them I've no problom driving them up for her to meet them, this will of course be a home check as well weather she wants one of mine or one from ash but things sound good already or I can texted photo's just pm me if you want them.

But do have a look at the site. http://www.ashanimalrescue.com

+1 for ASH they do really good work and are in bad times at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Lyre61

Paws still have some dogs in Salins. Ring them, they are always helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Does it have to be a dog from a rescue? Maybe you could give a death row do a chance and go to your local pound?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Vel wrote: »
    Don't go near Collon. They are now breeding and selling dogs.

That's crap. They ask for donations, especially when they rehome pure breds but they are not breeding dogs. All their dogs are rescues, amongst other animals. They have a shop onsite to sell reptiles, spiders etc to try and generate income, but thats it.

Lynn Archer has dedicated the past 20 years to rescuing animals, do you really think she would change that now?

Unfortunately in this climate there are just a lot of pure breds being given up to rescue centres.

Have you ever actually been to Collon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

have a look at the dogs on the website www.dogsindistress.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

35notout wrote: »
    That's crap. They ask for donations, especially when they rehome pure breds but they are not breeding dogs. All their dogs are rescues, amongst other animals. They have a shop onsite to sell reptiles, spiders etc to try and generate income, but thats it.

Lynn Archer has dedicated the past 20 years to rescuing animals, do you really think she would change that now?

Unfortunately in this climate there are just a lot of pure breds being given up to rescue centres.

Have you ever actually been to Collon?

Isn't this the same place that helps out the pounds? i.e. holds dogs for them (with no attempt made at rehoming) until their 5 days are up and can be put down? very helpful! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

amymcdon wrote: »

There's no need to rehome him as long as he can still get plenty of exersize each day and taken outside to do his business every few hours (even if that means at the side of the road) of course dogs love a garden but I think if they dog could pick he'd rather have less space than go to a totally different home which is obviously traumatic, plus that, it's so hard to find a home for staffies since the pounds and rescues are overflowing with them. you could also hire a dogwalker to come during the day and take him out if you are at work.

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Isn't this the same place that helps out the pounds? i.e. holds dogs for them (with no attempt made at rehoming) until their 5 days are up and can be put down? very helpful! :rolleyes:

that's simple not true - sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Ok I have to post here - I feel very strongly about Collon - reason being I have a dog which is a by-product of that place - she is a pure breed, we didn't purchase her someone bought her as they couldn't walk away and leave her there knowing full well they couldn't keep her and handed her into Ashton Pound - she was taken in by a brilliant person and we adopted her from that rescue - she arrived with no social skills was indifferent to humans but then again if all you have known is the inside of a shed what else are you going to be - we put ALOT of time and effort and getting trainers out to the house so that we could give her the best and after nearly 6 months we have a great dog - she is skill scared of sudden movements and loud bangs but she is getting better day by day.

I have a friend who runs a great kennel and he heard about our dog so he made a trip to the so called rescue and was amazed to see a rescue with so many "pure breed puppies" answer given to him - yeah we have a lot of friends who are breeders up the North so we sell the puppies for them - if that isn't close to a puppy farm I have no idea what is - our so called pure breed has a lot of health issue and all down to poor breeding with no standards - malnurishment as a puppy. As for your reference to a "donation" funny how the donation is the exact same price as you would pay for if you bought from a proper breeder.

There are alot of genuine rescues our there and I guarantee you if you ask any of them they could count on their hands the number of pure breeds they get in a month and very rarely puppies.

Actually Collon did hold dogs for the pound and only stopped doing it I think lat year and now all the dogs go straight to Dundalk Pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

35notout wrote: »
    that's simple not true - sorry

Yes dogs that could not be looked after in Meath as they have no county pound were collected off the streets etc and sent to Collon to be held for 5 days until they were reclaimed or PTS.
    The sanctuary would be re-imbursed for kennelling the dogs.

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/83170

You can also check this with Meath County Council.

And also my local pet store has plenty of people coming to them for supplies after they have bought dogs from Collon - always pure breed pups.
    Google any rescue in Ireland and see how many pure breed pups you come back with. I doubt you'll find any - yes pure breeds come into rescue but normally near the year old mark when they have lost their appeal etc.......

I stand corrected if that is true, and am very very sad to hear it.

I have taken dogs from Collon in the past, as have many of my friends. At least they now have good homes!

On a side note, another mate of mine dropped his pure Staff there recently papers and everything - I hope to God it got a good home (I simply did not have the room for another dog)

Every day is a day for school as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Collon are of huge concern to legitimate people in the animal rescue business. And what makes this all the worse if they are still receiving grants from the Department of the Environment. A nice tidy €20,000 this year I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

God, there are some genuine rescues out there who'd sell their granny's for funding like that .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Martinamc

I have a beagle 10 month old, male, great with kids, free to any good home..email me for more information.

Advertisement