Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psychoanalysis

• 15-10-2006 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how one would go about getting a psychoanalysis?

Which type of practitioner will give one? Psychiatrist? Psychologist?

I have a specific line of thinking/feeling and would like to know why I am thinking/feeling this way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

well if all you are looking for is psychoanalysis then you should go to a psychologist. psychoanalysis is a technique of psychotherapy which is really what psychology is based on in practice. so here would be no need to go to psychiatrist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

well if all you are looking for is psychoanalysis then you should go to a psychologist. psychoanalysis is a technique of psychotherapy which is really what psychology is based on in practice. so here would be no need to go to psychiatrist.

A psychoanalyst is not always a psychologist, sometime yes sometimes no, some are psychiatrists some not. Psychoanalysis is very different from psychology. My BA and MA are in Psychoanalysis, very little modlues on psychology in it. To the OP if you pm your area I can give you a list of names if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Odysseus wrote:
    A psychoanalyst is not always a psychologist, sometime yes sometimes no, some are psychiatrists some not. Psychoanalysis is very different from psychology. My BA and MA are in Psychoanalysis, very little modlues on psychology in it. To the OP if you pm your area I can give you a list of names if that helps.

PM'd.

Am I getting this right, can I ask for a detailed, written analysis from a practitioner on why they believe I am thinking/behaving a certain way and methods of changing this for the better?

Elessar wrote:
    PM'd.

Am I getting this right, can I ask for a detailed, written analysis from a practitioner on why they believe I am thinking/behaving a certain way and methods of changing this for the better?

It does'nt work that way, analysis is basically a place for your to explore why you are the way you are. In essence its a talking therapy, you speak whatever comes to mind during the session. Analysis is about the unconscious factors that are in your life, it can be a lenghty process, when I was training I was in analysis for five years. It can also be a difficult process, but well worth it.

PS I forgot to say in the PM you will get the phone number for that practice in the phone book, also as far as I remember in the yellow pages a group of individual analysts have a list of numbers under one heading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

To be honest, psychoanalysis isn't much use if you are looking to change your life or your thinking.

CBT therapy is extremely effective. If you have a real problem, I wouldn't waste your time with psychoanalysis. It doesn't do anything to solve your problems, IME.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Odysseus wrote:
    It does'nt work that way, analysis is basically a place for your to explore why you are the way you are. In essence its a talking therapy, you speak whatever comes to mind during the session. Analysis is about the unconscious factors that are in your life, it can be a lenghty process, when I was training I was in analysis for five years. It can also be a difficult process, but well worth it.

PS I forgot to say in the PM you will get the phone number for that practice in the phone book, also as far as I remember in the yellow pages a group of individual analysts have a list of numbers under one heading.

Thanks I found their website.

I must have been confused about the analysis itself, I have done something similar to what you described but it's not particularly what I'm after. In the sessions I was in, the practitioner gave feedback, but nothing as detailed as their own professional/trained opinion on why my thinking and behaviour is the way it is.

Is it possible to get this? I would prefer it in written form, after a few sessions with a professional to assess me as an individual, and without any therapy sessions.

The reason I ask is (and this may sound silly) because I saw a TV program once where a guest on a chat show was asked questions to answer and their answers were sent to a psychiatrist, who wrote down what type of people they think they are, their personalities etc. based on their answers to these questions.

I am looking for something similar but more focused on subconscious reasons behind behaviour and ways of thinking.

Hope I didn't confuse you there, is this type of thing possible?

I don't think a lot of my clients would agree, also the op was asking for info on analysis not CBT, however you are entitled to your opinion. To be honest, I'm not sure about CBT, it seems a tad overated to me. I have had some training in it, the HSE is big on it and are offering a course in it, but I'm not sure on it. The other therapist I work with is CBT trained and to be honest, outcomes are roughly the same. However, we must acknowledge that at the end of the day its what works for the client, I've had people come to me when CBT amongst others was not doing the job, but I'm also sure people who stopped coming to me, found what they were looking for.

Hi Elessar, sorry I can't help you there mate, I don't know anyone who would supply that type of service. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 JohnWishbone11

as you both know this intra paradign tou cheing is all very touching for your armies thought, however, psychological health for a person is finding the right fit for the individual - be it one perspective or a combo of them.

psychoanalysis gets most time spent on it to disprove its crash white housewife paper results. It should be binned and you have waster your time - dont pawn it off on someone else. CBT overrated for a reason ...its knocked by people like you because it has a greater success rate for improved mental health.

Baahh ...boo

If you put a coherent argument together, I'll get back to you then mate. Ive been working with people for a while now, still not sure what so called psychological health is. I would suggest you have a look at why your posting here, if you want to argue the pros of cbt go for it, but that was not what the op was originally seeking. I think at this stage, I'm secure enough in my own profession, let me guess still a student are we? If so have a look at the basic concept of grammer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Tbh I'm quite shocked at how rude a couple of posters have been on this thread. If you want to argue the pro's and cons of CBT or psychoanalysis then there is no need to be disrespectful. Odysseus has come on here and tried to be helpful in regards to a question a poster asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Hi Playboy - there's certainly some differences of opinions in the thread but as Odysseus says, there's not really anything coherent or reasonably argued there. Anyone reading the thread should easily be able to pick out who's talking crap (e.g. "crash white housewife paper results. It should be binned and you have waster your time - dont pawn it off on someone else") and who isn't.

As it happens yeah im studying it. So let me lay it out clearly for you. Psychoanalysis is like the travelling sideshow procrast..about the miracle cure. It is a redundant, albeit interesting, sham.

If your charging for this mate you should have a good long hard look at what you are actually offering and its 'real' or 'suggested' results. It only grew 'in my humble studentia opinion' because of a major PR stunt by Freud and his sidekicks Jung etc who cashed in a growing novelty in the upper middle classes at the start of the 20th century. Throw in some greek tragedy and your onto a winner. It was trendy in a warholian way but i mean in the science of psychology it fades to a dull, mute roar.

Why is it shunned by Trinity (without name dropping) on its core cir and what of the other colleges UCD, DCU -- would anyone have info on their courses? Maybe this isnt the thread for it but defense mechanism, just maybe, is something you should research.

Playboy - stay out of it with your bs moralising on this thread and of course i will take a bit more time to formulate correct grammatical flow.

Johnny of the Wishbone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

As it happens yeah im studying it. So let me lay it out clearly for you. Psychoanalysis is like the travelling sideshow procrast..about the miracle cure. It is a redundant, albeit interesting, sham.

If your charging for this mate you should have a good long hard look at what you are actually offering and its 'real' or 'suggested' results. It only grew 'in my humble studentia opinion' because of a major PR stunt by Freud and his sidekicks Jung etc who cashed in a growing novelty in the upper middle classes at the start of the 20th century. Throw in some greek tragedy and your onto a winner. It was trendy in a warholian way but i mean in the science of psychology it fades to a dull, mute roar.

Why is it shunned by Trinity (without name dropping) on its core cir and what of the other colleges UCD, DCU -- would anyone have info on their courses? Maybe this isnt the thread for it but defense mechanism, just maybe, is something you should research.

Playboy - stay out of it with your bs moralising on this thread and of course i will take a bit more time to formulate correct grammatical flow.

Johnny of the Wishbone.

I will moralize when I see jumped up students like you been rude. Just because you have a couple of years study under your belt you think you know it all. You probably would be better served if you spent your time trying to figure out your own psychology and why you act in a rude and arrogant manner.

There is a difference between giving your opinion and completely belittling and having complete disregard to those of others. Keep your snotty 'superior' beliefs to yourself if you can't give them appropriately. However, i must say that to an extent i am in agreement with you. CBT is a far more secure, reliable technique, from my experience and i believe people only keep away from it, becaue they don't know enough about it, 'a fear of the unknown' if you will.

Johnny of the Wishbone.

WOW!:eek: ...Someone obviously needs to get laid;)

Johnny of the Wishbone.

First off, Playboy is the mod of this forum so he can ban you, so i'd suggest you stop being so aggro.

Secondly, psychoanalysis isn't covered in detail in *any* psychology degree that I know of, because it's such a huge area. That is why it is reserved for postgraduate...just like CBT. Did you cover CBT in your course? Didn't think so.

As it happens, TCD has a long and healthy relationship with the teaching psychoanalysis and it has a very well renowned psychoanalysis postgraduate program.

I'd suggest you check your facts before you post on here again. Don't fool yourself that you know about psychology just because you're a psych student! You are only dipping your toe in the water.

P.S DCU doesn't have a school of psychology, also proof that CBT is more effective than analysis is purely anecdotal.

eth0_ wrote:
    First off, Playboy is the mod of this forum so he can ban you, so i'd suggest you stop being so aggro.
    He is?

JohnWishbone11, seriously you'll have to learn to play nicely. Argue your points, listen to others if your so inclined - but anymore posts like your last one and we'll start you off on a one week ban.

p.pete wrote:
    He is?

Sorry, got you and playboy mixed up :)

eth0_ wrote:
    Sorry, got you and playboy mixed up :)

lol...the like completely ruins your argument:D

Heh, the main point to note is that I'm getting confused with a playboy :p

• Advertisement

Does it? Really? Do tell how?
    I believe my point - when I mistakenly referred to playboy as a mod of this forum - was that the guy should stop being so aggro.

"Tbh I'm quite shocked at how rude ...."

"jumped up student...only sticking toe in the water...a couple of years under your belt"

You do this science no favours. Turn a debate into a petty bitching match. Instead what dont you agree or disagree with some substance in place of one liner claptrap and bunkum.

There is a scent of stale cobwebs from this part of boards..about time you got a shakeup. Scuttling around in your perspectives corner gouging anyones,who 'dares' to slander it ,eyes out. Its muppetry and 'quite shocked' is so poor and so irritatiing a response you should run to the windown jump and impail yourself on the nearest railing.

Any links to psychoanalysis case studies which you find compelling and a foundation for deciding to commit to further deep dive into the perspective?

JohnWishbone11 banned for one week.

<edit>

and to anyone who may feel they have irritated JohnWishbone11, please don't jump out any windows,

Cheers,
    Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Dr. Octagon

Odysseus wrote:
    If you put a coherent argument together, I'll get back to you then mate. Ive been working with people for a while now, still not sure what so called psychological health is. I would suggest you have a look at why your posting here, if you want to argue the pros of cbt go for it, but that was not what the op was originally seeking. I think at this stage, I'm secure enough in my own profession, let me guess still a student are we? If so have a look at the basic concept of grammer.

Don't you mean grammar not "grammer"? It's hilarious when someone tries to be pedantic and it shoots them in the foot. Also many students outshine their teachers so don't let your ageism get in the way of objectivity.

Just because you practice psychoanalysis doesn't mean that you can close your mind to or dismiss others approaches. I know nothing about either so I won't comment but I think that what the original poster might be looking for is something along the lines of the Briggs-Meyers (sp?) personality tests. ENTP and all that...

Well that can happen to the best of us:) I don't think I was being dismissive in relation to other approaches either, however, personally I don't think it would be right to attack CBT on a thread where someone was seeking it. I think if you have a look at my post you might see I was open to the fact that CBT has helped people who had come to me and for whatever reasons stopped coming.

Once again on a personal level I have no problem debating different approaches, however, I don't think this was a debate, in fact the understanding of psychoanalysis was very poor. Actually I do have one problem with debates, I'm usually offline for about half the week, so I cannot respond quickly. I think if you look at it suggesting that one approach works for all, misses the point that as therapists from my viewpoint we work with human subjectivity, and that is subjective, hence no approach could be a cure all. A man asked for info on psychoanalysis, it was given, turns out that this was not what he wanted. A post like yours offering another idea on what the chap was looking for would have been a lot more helpful, imo

Don't you mean grammar not "grammer"? It's hilarious when someone tries to be pedantic and it shoots them in the foot. Also many students outshine their teachers so don't let your ageism get in the way of objectivity.

Just because you practice psychoanalysis doesn't mean that you can close your mind to or dismiss others approaches. I know nothing about either so I won't comment but I think that what the original poster might be looking for is something along the lines of the Briggs-Meyers (sp?) personality tests. ENTP and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

Its in the psychology tradition to act superior to get the attention of their peers, however I dont think that "muppetry", etc., are correct terms. Before anyone posts their opinions, just ask yourself

"Where is the science?"

This is about psychoanalysis. If you are for or against back up your opinions with work, otherwise there will be no constructive debates which is a shame.

Rollie

eth0_ wrote:
    Does it? Really? Do tell how?
    I believe my point - when I mistakenly referred to playboy as a mod of this forum - was that the guy should stop being so aggro.

i was joking!:( i apologise. all i was trying to do was to bring some lightness to a seemingly bitchy, pointless argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

Wow. I'm in awe of the irony of a thread devoted to the promotion of our psycho-social well being should result in people getting banned, insulted, and upset! Kind of like "monty python" for nerds!
    But seriously I really am interested to hear people in favour of psycholoanalysis. My focus is on children so it tends to be more behavioral or CBT approaches that are recommended, especially with disabled individuals, and more counselling approaches for adolescents. I personally think that psycholanalysis is so subjective that it can never be really quantified and the outcomes measured whereas CBT can be to a much greater degree. Doesnt make it wrong, it just means that with the current focus on evidence based therapy it doesnt sit well for many psychologists.
    That recent issue of the Psychologist from the BPS for Freud's centenary was excellent in the way it traced all the legacy of psycholanalytic approaches in fields that you completely wouldnt think are touched by it. Also I think its easy to overlook that a critical element of any therapy is the relationship between the client and the therapist. Perhaps thats why therapy will never be a one size fits all kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

taztastic wrote:
    That recent issue of the Psychologist from the BPS for Freud's centenary was excellent in the way it traced all the legacy of psycholanalytic approaches in fields that you completely wouldnt think are touched by it.

Is that the BPS magazine?? Is it available online or only to BPS members??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

Even the online version is only available to members until its 6months old, then it becomes free access. I would have thought that most libraries or psychology departments get copies of the Psychologist. As far as non-specific journals go I think its one of the best.
    In case you are looking for it its the September issue, Vol 19(9) "Freud's Influence; personal and professional perspectives".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭bget

what of the other colleges UCD, DCU -- would anyone have info on their courses?

there is a course in St PAtricks College, Drumcondra called human development as part of their arts programme. Through out the three years there have been references to psycholanalysis. However inthird year there is a specific course dedicated to psychotherapy. It covers pyschanalysis, cbt and rogers humanistic approach is as much detail as time constraints allow while briefly touching on others like gestalt and psychodynamic. This course was very extensive and looking at the different methods side by side enabled easier comparison and evaluation of each method. As well as the course content the extra reading required for exam purposes was very extensive and varied.
    I feel you are being very hard on pychoanalysis. It has a valuable role to play and while would not be my prefered approach it can be, in the right circumstances, very effective.

Advertisement