Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harmonica.

Options
  • 15-10-2006 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I'm really interested in learning to play the Harmonica.

Does anyone play it?

Can any recommendations be made for a suitable Harmonica to purchase for an absolute novice player?

Thanks in advance.

quick edit/

Where would be the best place to get lessons, for someone living on the Northside of Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I play the Harmonica, I'm completely self taught. I'd say you've got a snowballs chance of finding a teacher. Buy one of those books if you have to. I never bothered myself. I just used the internet when I was learning blues technique.

Get a Hohner Marine band in C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I bought one a few years ago, one of those starter kit things.... wasnt really sure what i was looking for...

but yeah kinda learned a bit, ive a bit of music theory behind me so i can do some things, reading from books and the net is all ive ever goten info from

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SMJ

im interested in doing the same,

i have 2 harmonica's. not sure what key they are tho:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Probably C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

SMJ wrote:
    im interested in doing the same,

i have 2 harmonica's. not sure what key they are tho:(
    Its not printed on it?

You could just compare it to another instrument...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

playing harmonica key for key is easy enough.. its when ya start tryin to play the cross key method i get a bit hazy... for example if yer playin guitar in G and ya don't have a G Harp, you can play along on a C harp.. or is it D.. the most common harp is usually C or G.. my now ex-girlfriend bought me a set of harps in a box.. with 7 major key harps.. best birthday present ever... but you can get the flat/sharp key harps and ya can even get minor key harps... Lee Oskar are the best ones to go for cos ya can get the replacement reeds for them... but they're for if ya want to get into playin it in a big way, i.e. professionally as they cost about €30+ a pop...

Advertisement