Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedalboard Stuff

Options
  • 14-10-2006 3:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭

Well its one of those DIY pedalboard threads, So heres the pedals i have and heres my present board

pedalboardnew.jpg

So there is....

Dd-3 and ps-5 are int eh fx loop, adding more wires, but... it goes

Amp > Tuner > Chorus > Compressor > Eq > Wah > Tube overdrive > Talkbox > Guitar

the other 2 pedals not hooked up are flang and phaser, They'd Go beside the chorus if there in the chain...

as ya can see tis kinda squashy and messy and i wana make it neater and use them all at once, i need a new power source too i use one boss psa, 2 daisy chains and the tu tuner to power em, its gona blow up someday.

But need a neater, better, practical and more reliable way to use and keep my pedals + a few inches to spare for newer pedals etc..

...anyone got any ideas or sites or anything feel free to inform me - stuff like good patch leads, daisy cahins or powering options, wood types, handles carpet, velcro all that stuff...

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

What you could do is get a cheap square guitar case, modify the hinges so you can take off the top and you've got plenty of room for expansion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

its jsut not as fun, actually a good not a bad idea i came up with this desgin there today well sometihn similer

pbdesign.jpg

ive no idea about powering everything, =/ or anything else really!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Why dont you put your modulation pedals in the loop? I think you could put the whole thing in the loop, ditch the behringer OD. Well maybe not the wah, unless youre morello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

How are those planet waves patch 'cables' Al. Those little short rigid ones? The one thing i hate about patch cables is most are such sh1tty quality

That's what i hate about patch cables too the ****ty quality, kinda why im doin it up, get a good solid power supply decent leads and get it sorted, velcroed down so its just the way it is, cause the way i have it now, i have to unhook to wah casue its run on batterys, so its hassle, so i want a reliable no crap pedalboard, + the old ones getin to small.... i was doin a show last week and somewhere along the chain something crapped out so u dont want that!

and i dont put the other modulation fx in the loop cause i didnt think it did that much of a difference, - why there at the end of the chain... but the same with the eq, I just kept it in the chain ive 2 fx loops on the tsl so i can always throw somethin in the B fx loop if needed and put it elsewhere

but the way the pedals are lined up there are important n practical the ones i stomp on the most especially the wah, footswitch, and ps-5 and sometimes talkbox, its practical, and Less wires too

as for the planet waves lil conection thiningy's they work great, decent quality, and handy if u use similar pedals but with the inputs and outputs at different heights

but anyone know where to go and what to use? what power supply to use, what woods, carpet, velcro anything!

• Advertisement

Emm... I make all my patch cables, the neutrik jacks/cordial heavy duty cable off thomann are decent. As for velcro I just buy the squares in easons or wherever and stick them on, they hold well and are tidier than the long strips I think you'd get away with a jim dunlop dcbrick for the whole board if you use a daisy chain off of the TU-2, I use one and its completely hum free. Birch ply is the stuff you want to use, lovely consistent smooth finish and it takes matt black spray nicely, ill get pics of my most recent board up if you need some ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

well the voodoo labs pedal power II is the world renown king of power supplies,i'd say bite the bullet and get that one

george l's cable's are great you can make them yourself and all you need is a pair of snips no soldering! waltons do all the bits for them so you can make your own custom lengths,so theres no excessively long cables hanging around looking messy
    plus because you can choose if you want a right angled or straight jack on each end it's a way better at connecting say a big muff with the jacks on the top to a boss with the jacks on the side...just like the shampoo-no more tangles!
    oh yeah i think you can buy a pedal board kit of their stuff on-line cheaper too

ill look intot he pedalboard kit thing and the voodoo labs, how do those george L things work

thanks

I read some crappy reviews on the george l ones, but they look v neat since there quite small

Planet waves make a cable kit too, they look a bit better, but u onyl get 10 jacks and there a lot bigger than the george l ones but the quality looks better

+ didnt see the pedalboard kit thing but got cool idea from this site, its the appifimay of pedalboards!!!

theres 2 types of voodoo labs power boxes too the older ac one or the newer "plus 2" model.. =/

http://www.trailertrashpedalboards.com - there the ferrari of pedalboards

but look at them there nicer than boobies!!

Martz_2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

The tweed one of those is amazing.. that would match my amp perfectly!
    Who's gonna splash out that much for a board though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think I'm really happy I've gone for the Pod XT Live, because all this malarky about power supplies and patch cables and pedalboards seems really messy. :o

I think I'm really happy I've gone for the Pod XT Live, because all this malarky about power supplies and patch cables and pedalboards seems really messy. :o
    Eww digital... :p

i wouldnt mind but ive a podxt too i just use ti for recording, i was thinkin i might put it in the 2nd fx loop and get a midi floorboard, but i dont think id like it for playing live

untill i get loadsa $$ for some rack stuff the pedals are the way to go,

But does anyone know about the planet waves cable station patch thing the voodoo labs powering system or even anytihng else on george l

I remember reading very good things about both the Voodoo Labs brick and the George L's cables from some roadie feller in Guitar and Bass magazine. Seem to be the way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Eww digital... :p

Carefull now, the Microcube is digital, and it's anything but Eww!

Pod's arent to bad, once u tweak them enough they can have some cool results

but...

i gota find somewhere that does the voodoo labs theres 2 models though duno which one is the one, either that ro the dc brick, me thinks.. i bet they'll cost an arm n a leg none the less =/

and i might ust try the george l cables meself to see what there like, i am favouring the planet waves but whatever works best, the dood who does those cool pedalboards above uses george l ones, so got me thinkin... and im completly ripping off his idea... it wont be as cool but its gona be close enough...

latestidea.jpg

put all the wiring under it, and have appropriate holes for the wires coming out/in

Twould be a stunning work of carpentry!

twould, i'll prob just use a drill for the holes! ive no idea what im doin really jus work out some simple dimensions, it cant be that bad to work out... or so i think ill use my own unorthadox methods probably, im sure ill be a perfectionist about it, and work out some sorta casing for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

i've spent months,years even looking at pro's pedal boards and these days i'd say over 50% of big name players are using george L's,any complaints i've read are from people not following the instructions on how to assemble them properly (it's not rocket science)

the pedal power 2 is the current model,there's also the pedal power ac,which is designed to power pedals that can't be run on 9v batteries like say a whammy pedal or line 6 dl-4

Not related but useful for people looking for power supplies. A DL-4 (and MM-4, FM-4 etc) can be powered off of either AC or DC power provided it is tip positive strangely enough. Whammy definitely needs dedicated AC supply though.

• Advertisement

Ok here it is if you want ideas, all wired up, i was gonna bring the patch cables down through the board but thats effort and i'd have to resolder my patch cables, i think ill bring the DC cables up from under the board as the DC brick is mounted under it at the moment. Apologies for the pic quality, i only have my camera phone at the moment.

http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?PhotoAlbumId=2298644103&PhotoId=2299043857

I made the board to fit into that thomann case which cost me 60 quid i think. Total cost about €70. Note the obligatory ENGL and microcube stickers :p [/Subliminal Message]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Carefull now, the Microcube is digital, and it's anything but Eww!

What....you didn't see the thread where Johnny Storm took the back off of his and found 6 12AX7 tubes and miniature Eric Clapton, EVH, and Dave Mustaines inside?? :p

punchdrunk wrote:
    i've spent months,years even looking at pro's pedal boards and these days i'd say over 50% of big name players are using george L's,any complaints i've read are from people not following the instructions on how to assemble them properly (it's not rocket science)

the pedal power 2 is the current model,there's also the pedal power ac,which is designed to power pedals that can't be run on 9v batteries like say a whammy pedal or line 6 dl-4

thx for the info :)

from what i can see on the pedal power 2 thers 4 outlets for daisy chains and 2 for the "sag" option and 2 outlets for what?

+ tha bebo link to the pedalboard didnt work :confused:

-=al=- wrote:
    tha bebo link to the pedalboard didnt work :confused:

It works if you just refresh the page, Al.

Freak, everytime I see that Tele my bank account runs off into the distance..

Bank acounts suck, ive 10 euro in one and 40 in another :( im still pretty much broke from inter-railin in June

and i got the link to work, cool board fits nicely and nice case for it too, those trailer trash boards got me so obsessed with having it really neat!

Advertisement