Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last bass I'm ever buying

Options
  • 13-10-2006 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I've been playing bass about 17 years now, I've played a lot of basses, I've owned a fairly small amount in truth but I've pretty much settled on what I want from a bass and what a bass should do. Firstly, Leo Fender produced the definative design when he knocked out the Jazz bass, the one bass I can think of that'll do any kind of music well, it's comfy and just sounds right for every occasion. I do, however, believe technology has moved on in 50 years, especially in electronics, and it would be foolish not to take this into account. So I knew what I was looking for in a bass and I asked Hotwire in Germany to make it for me. I told them I wanted a bass for life, so I wouldn't have to buy another damn bass as long as I live.

So enough of my rambling, here cometh the pics :D

Q-Tuner pickups and a Noll TCM3JB preamp (Vol & Blend & Passive Bypass, Bass & Treble cut and boost, Mid cut & boost and passive tone on three concentric knobs, vol is push/pull to engage passive mode).

bass1.jpg

The fretboard is fairly mentally figured, which I didn't ask for, I was more into it sounding right than selecting figured woods, but I ain't complaining ;)

bass2.jpg

Q-Tuners and Badass 5 bridge. The electronics are very discreet, there aren't a plethora of knobs and switches.

bass3.jpg

The 4+1 headstock was custom, they usually do 5 in a row or 3+2, it is also angled back so no need for string trees, also a custom option.

bass4.jpg

6 bolt neck instead of 4 with a plate, again a custom request Hotwire were happy to do

bass5.jpg

Comfy neck, slim but still feels right in my hand

bass6.jpg

Hipshot Ultralight tuners to prevent neck dive.

bass7.jpg

There's actually a lot of flame on the neck which the flash is hiding, it's a bit more obvious here and the first photo.

bass8.jpg

Gotta dig the low serial numbers :p

bass9.jpg

More of the fretboard :)

bass10.jpg

So there it is. First impressions? It sounds superb. Even with the preamp bypassed the tone is full and clear, meat but without any mud. It is everything I could have wished for tonally. The bass is heavy, which I like, but not too much of a strain on my back. The neck is comfy, it plays delightfully and it was definitely worth the money (don't ask) and the wait (even though the wait was ****ing horrible :D ).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

my gawd, that fretboard is something else, in fact the whole bass is...

i love that shade of green too, it's very hard to get the right shade of green on a instrument but you sir, have pulled it off + 1.

any chance of some audio from it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

In good time. I actually got it on Wednesday but have been doing late shifts in the studio as well as working 9 to 5 so tonight is the first time I've really gotten to play it... dammit

Edit -> Actually, just going to strip it and have me a look so here's the full fretboard

bass11.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Tell me you're around this weekend! I'm still not sure about the inlays. The first picture looks fantastic but I'll have to see it IRL :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Oh dear doctor...

I am. No car though :p

• Advertisement

I have legs.

Yeah go on then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Absolutely fantastic.
    And that fretboard is awesome, I think the figuring (or lack thereof) actually adds to the oevure of the bass. I'd say you're right, you'd be hard pushed to want to buy anything else after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

That looks wonderful, Doc. :)

34" scale length?

Yep. 34. 18.5mm string spacing at the bridge (I know you're wondering ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Doctor J wrote:
    definitely worth the money (don't ask)

Gwan... have to ask!!

Some beautiful instrument there!! Well wear and enjoy. Id say the sound is savage!

Don't worry Doc, she'll have her guitar counterpart soon enough :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Mans thats F8cking bbeeeaaauuutiful1!! (am im not just saying that cause ive just had a bottle o wine!) and despite what some people may think about teh inlays I think they really balance out the minimalistic body and makes the bass look 10x better! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Very nice!

****.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Absolutely stunning detail on that ebony (? doesnt look like rosewood to me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Yes, Doc, that will be the last bass you ever buy, for.....

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, Serif]ACK! Turns out we only have 2 weeks left to live.....a Russian scientist says he has found a giant comet heading towards Earth, to hit us in late October.[/FONT]

And Nostradamus said it wouldn't happen until 2012. What an imprecise loser. :)

How come only the Russians know about this???? I like the way the article forgets to mention how far away the comet is, how big it is, or where it is.....who needs those pesky facts, anyway? :)

http://english.pravda.ru/science/earth/06-10-2006/84913-comet-0

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, Serif]Fortuitously, the Japanese have film from the LAST time Earth was destroyed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, Serif]We can count ourselves as lucky, for it appears at the end of the film that the zebras, monkeys, and Japanese will survive to carry on.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, Serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, Serif]Perfect payback for that nuclear warhead/Godzilla thing we foisted upon them. :)[/FONT]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QlYmO4S_Dkk&mode=related&search=

So hurry up and get some sound samples made for us with that awesome new bass! :D

Rustar, can I have some of your acid please? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Heheh, hey, I figured my pals on the Instruments board should be the first to know. :)

Seriously, that is a honey of a bass, Doc....and if the comet's real, I'll fly over in the last couple of days and try it out! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

feylya wrote:
    Rustar, can I have some of your acid please? :D

Seconded. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Rustar wrote:
    [[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, Serif]Fortuitously, the Japanese have film from the LAST time Earth was destroyed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, Serif]We can count ourselves as lucky, for it appears at the end of the film that the zebras, monkeys, and Japanese will survive to carry on.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, Serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, Serif]Perfect payback for that nuclear warhead/Godzilla thing we foisted upon them. :)[/FONT]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QlYmO4S_Dkk&mode=related&search=

:D

"Oh no .... there goes Tokyo" :D

Cool video, Rustar ;)

*** Dr J, Fantastic looking bass. Congratulations and enjoy it !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Looks great J. But did they miss a spot on the spray job? Looks like you can see the wood on the left side of the fretboard where it meets the body??? Or am I seeing things? Anyway as long as she plays well. Enjoy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Doctor, you lucky lucky bastard. That's brilliant. Super dee dooper!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

i want your endless supply of instruement funds, i want your instruments and i want that shade of green on my bass....:( o well i cant have any of them so ill go off and eat my sorrows away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Nice one Centurion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Doc, you'll buy again. you have a problem.

sweet ass bass tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

my god that's a beaut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Doc, that's one fantastic ****ing instrument you've got.

Still, I don't believe that it'll be the last. I just can't believe it! I won't!

Well that was the idea when I ordered it, get all the things I like in a bass in the one bass. Job done methinks ;)

There's still some work to do, I'll file the nut down a bit today perhaps but it's almost perfection with 5 strings :)

Gentlemen, I have seen this bass. There is no need to get another bass. It's bassiness defined and painted green :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

So Doc, when you getting that last custom guitar? :D

Advertisement