Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharp Practice Rip-Offs

Options
  • 13-10-2006 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

Called into a newsagent (Bus Stop Newsagents) today to buy a newspaper and a bottle of Club Orange. Spotted one offering 25% Extra Free, so as I was paying I noticed the guy entered € 2.00 (Normal Bottle costs €1.34).

So I pointed out his mistake but he says its in the computer at €2.00, so I enquired whatabout the 25% Extyra Free? He said there was nothing he could do. So I bought a regular bottle instead.

Anyway I rang Customer Services at C&C to complain this guy charging a premium of almost 50% for something which should be FREE! They were not happy at all, the Retailer is obliged not to charge more than the normal bottle price. They took the details and said they would get the Rep to call to store, was also meant to call me, hasn't so far.

Pisses me off this blatant rip off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

My guess is that they have a set price for a 750ml bottle and when the product came in to stock the bar code was entered with the 750ml detail and the price menu wasn't looked at properly.

As far as I know it is a 600ml + 25% extra free. From memory I was charged 1.65 in applegreen for it against 1.45 for the 500ml.

My guess is that is was an error and the store manager should have been informed by the sales assistant. - Bus Stop, whilst expensive aren't quite into this type of practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I am a manager with Centra and what you say is way wrong but easily done. C+C also do a larger bottle of orange and it is a mix up. The problem you have here is a cashier not telling his manager. I have seen this happen before but it was an accident and was fixed as soon as i saw it. The cashier obviously didnt give a monkeys....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Called back to the store Friday evening, spoke to store Manager(ess).

Seems C&C rep had been in earlier and all pricing had been corrected including similar offers for Pepsi, 7 UP etc. So seems unlikely to have been an honest/isolated mistake.

Mean Greed across a range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I work in a newsagent and this happens from time to time, when
    a- the manufacturer doesn't use a different barcode on their promotional cans
    b-when they do use a different barcode, but the laxy manager in my shop just linked it to the normal barcode
    c-the manufacturer never puts a barcode on their products and so I must use a dummy can behind the counter which has the full price

so for offers I try to memorise the offers and manually enter them for example 1.50 "drink"

this is very annoying behind the offlicence counter, there is an influx of extememly cheap noname eastern ueopean beers that have confusing special offers, like 4 for the price of 3, 6 for the price of 4, and 3 for EUR 5 and so on

Advertisement