Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6k to invest

Options
  • 13-10-2006 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi. I have around 6k to invest for a year. Wish I had have bought a few Aerlingus shares a few weeks ago but hey what can u do. Rabo Bank looks good? any other options? cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭staringelf

i'm gonna hijack this thread instead of starting my own because my question is pretty much the same. i have 20k to invest. where is the best place to put it? at the min its sitting in my AIB current account and has been for the last 3 weeks (disgraceful i know, i could be earning interest on it somewhere).

where do you knowledgable folk suggest we start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Do ye not think it's stupid asking that here though really?

No one here can tell you what is gonna go up or down there is always a risk.

Though if I had 20,000 spare myself I would put it in Elan. I would do the same with the 6,000 if your willing to leave it two or three year's. Though saying that if someone dies from there drug's bye bye money but if no one does you should have a nice return in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭staringelf

Do ye not think it's stupid asking that here though really?

i know, what were we thinking? that this was some kind of investment, money and banking type forum? how silly of us...:rolleyes:

No one here can tell you what is gonna go up or down there is always a risk.

Though if I had 20,000 spare myself I would put it in Elan. I would do the same with the 6,000 if your willing to leave it two or three year's. Though saying that if someone dies from there drug's bye bye money but if no one does you should have a nice return in a few years.

i didn't mean what shares specifically. there's more than 1 type of investment. ie. cash, govt bonds, etc etc

having said that what would repected members of this forum do with 6k 20k oreven 100k. how would you split it up? and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Go to an independant financial advisor - if they don't charge at least €150 per hour they're not worth the trouble - and say 'wheres the best account to put my money for a year'.

Don't ask that question in your bank - the answer there will be the one that most benefits them not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

€150 is about the same you'd make in your first year of investing 5k.
    Where would one find these advisors. I'm in a similar position to the op.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

staringelf wrote:
    i'm gonna hijack this thread instead of starting my own because my question is pretty much the same. i have 20k to invest. where is the best place to put it? at the min its sitting in my AIB current account and has been for the last 3 weeks (disgraceful i know, i could be earning interest on it somewhere).

where do you knowledgable folk suggest we start?

I'd get it out of the AIB current account anyway.

Depends on the risk you eant to take and the control you want over yr money.

Northern Rock, Rabobank or Bank of Scotland offer around...I said around 3.6% 3.8% on deposit ... so its certainly better there than in a current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

I threw my SSIA in an equity plan with Eagle Star and its made good money the last few years (25%+ on top of the govt 25% off the top of my head). It lost money in 2002 buit more than made up for it since. Only thing with these plans is you're in someone else's hands. They have a few different types. What I would say is its a good hassle free place to deposit your cash while equity markets are good, but you's want to make sure you have the option of pulling out at short notice if there is a downturn. Of course there are bigger margins to be gained elsewhere if you invest in shares yourself rather than using a fund, but while some people enjoy that, i myself can't be arsed with the extra hassle. If you want more details of the plan etc pm me and I'll look it up. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

For safe return, I'd split two ways between the 3 main banks (AIB, BoI and Anglo). Anglo offer <2.0% annual dividend, but very good cap appreciation in recent times. Both AIB and BoI offer divis c 3.8%-4.0% and annual appreciation usuually 5.0-10.0% range.

No annual charges apply and you also have ready access to your 'money'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SQDD

If you want to put it into away long term, i'd suggest cecking out CRH, terrible dividend but their share value really only goes one way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

i'd suggest cecking out CRH
    Although. if you read the posts on the business/econmoy section of the forum they are talking about the end of the construction boom :)

Personally I think CRH would be good for long term growth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

I dont own CRH BTW. Used to but not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

SQDD wrote:
    If you want to put it into away long term, i'd suggest cecking out CRH, terrible dividend but their share value really only goes one way
    Past performance is no indication of future performance. If anthing, the slowdown in house sales will negatively affect CRH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

CRH are spread across US and Europe. Well spread and have business in road/cement construction and not mere house building - so are not depending on a housing boom outcome. Personally a great share for me since I got them dec 2002 for €12 and now €27. Hold and buy... as part of a balanced portfolio as you never know when good goes bad. Really though, the long term serves up the goods! 1998-2002 was a great lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Ignore any investment advice you recieve from anyone who hasn't asked you how long you can lock away the money for, and what your attitude to risk is.

1 year is a very short timescale for an equity (shares) investment.

RainyDay wrote:
    Ignore any investment advice you recieve from anyone who hasn't asked you how long you can lock away the money for, and what your attitude to risk is.

1 year is a very short timescale for an equity (shares) investment.

True but very limiting.

Bet you don't have any shares in Kingspan, McInerney, C&C, IAWS to name a few. These and many others have had substantial capital appreciation over the last 12 months.

Even the low risk like the financials have gone 10 - 15% north in same period.

Attitude is important, money essential, but timing is everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

The question that needs to be answered is how much risk do you want to expose yourself too?

Shares have the highest risk but have potentially huge rewards. Everything else becomes less risky and rewarding in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Sonderval wrote:
    Shares have the highest risk but have potentially huge rewards. Everything else becomes less risky and rewarding in comparison.

Also, the OP mentioned investing for a year - does this mean you have to take the cash back out in a year?
    If so, shares are probably the worst option - any shares you purchase could be at a short-term low at just the time you need the cash in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

So over two or say three years, shares would be the way to go? I'm gonna be in the same position in 6months time.

True but very limiting.

Bet you don't have any shares in Kingspan, McInerney, C&C, IAWS to name a few. These and many others have had substantial capital appreciation over the last 12 months.

Even the low risk like the financials have gone 10 - 15% north in same period.

Attitude is important, money essential, but timing is everything!
    Isn't hindsight great? Would you care to name the 5 shares that are going to give substantial capital appreciation over the NEXT 12 months, instead of the last 12.

Rainy Day- The only certainty in life is death, so if that doesn't keep you awake at night, surely you can manage to speculate?

I'd back most of the same cos listed. But if if you want new names well I don't give free advice, so cough up Rainy day. Hindsight not essential, a bit of sense and balls but you can swap them around.

Here come the Sun....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

TBH we have an investment and savings manager in my branch in o' connell st (bank of ireland). So if you would like to call in some day we sort you out with some advice

stepbar wrote:
    TBH we have an investment and savings manager in my branch in o' connell st (bank of ireland). So if you would like to call in some day we sort you out with some advice
    You won't get independent advice from any bank manager. You'll get a sales pitch for whatever products his/her bonus depends on this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭PRman

Hi everyone, forgot I started this thread but I'm back now! Gonna stick it in Rabobank for a year I reckon. I have to pay the money over to Bertie next year. I wouldn't mind but I already gave the state 11,500 in stamp this year on top of probably 10k in tax. Great country we live in

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi everyone, forgot I started this thread but I'm back now! Gonna stick it in Rabobank for a year I reckon. I have to pay the money over to Bertie next year. I wouldn't mind but I already gave the state 11,500 in stamp this year on top of probably 10k in tax. Great country we live in
    It is when you got 6K to spare.
    If it was me I would stick 2K into three different shares.
    Couldnt really tell you what shares as I wouldnt like to advise anyone to stick money into risky shares.
    Kippy

Advertisement