Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS Duty & Tax Invoice

Options
  • 12-10-2006 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

hi all,

Bought a watch online in July, and over two months later I receive an invoice from UPS for "Duty & VAT".

I've bought stuff online before and the normal proccess is the delivery guy requests the Duty before handing over the item. Without paying the duty, the parcel is normally not handed over.

Has this ever happened anyone before? I can't understand how they can deliver the item, and two months later request money for it? Surely this should be collected before handing the item over?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

UPS DHL & Fedex use a bulk lodging system with customs for items they deliver. They also have a on-time delivery system.

The collection of VAT and duty does not take priority over delivery of the item, especially when the value is not too high (normally under $500) so they simply allow this go through a process which normally takes about 2 - 3 weeks and issue an invoice.

Advantage of UPS is they do not charge a customs clearance fee which is normally €50 - €60!

Advertisement