Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin charges

Options
  • 12-10-2006 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

just wondering if this is right,

can a landlord charge you a yearly fee on top of rent for what they call refuse charges?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

yes, the refuse is the responsibility of the tenant, so really the tenant should sort it

however, if the landlord is paying it they can claim on it

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

The polluter pays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Shouldn't it depend on what charge it is? for DLRD your charged a annual charge and a per collection charge, shouldn't the annual charge be the responsibility of the landlord and the per collection charge be the tenants?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Why should it be the landlord? It's the tenant who's generating the waste and needs to have the waste collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Yes the tenant should pay the charges however I would ask the landlord for a copy of the bills to ensure he is not overcharging you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

if the tenant is paying then the tenants name should be on the bill...not the landlord. You are not responsible for a bill that is not in your name! You should also check that the lease agreement says that the tenant pays the bill.

If the rented property is an apartment, then the refuse charge should be included in the annual mgmt charge ...which is payable by the owner of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

It may depend on the council but our waste bills (for a rented house) are always addressed to "the occupier".

I assume that as the OP is not getting the bills that its an apartment and included as part of the management fee...If this is the case you should be able to ask for a breakdown of the management charges to see how much is attributed to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Hi I've a quick question to ask about this (sorry couldn't find any other thread discussing it). We moved out of our house 3 weeks ago and have been trying to get our security depositt refunded, but the agency we're dealing with keep tryign to delay us. Now they're saying that before they'll refund it we have to get the back garden sorted (which is fair enough but we've handed back the keys to them as requested so can't get anyone into the house!)

They also asked if the bin charges had been all paid in full which puzzled us as we've never so much as received a bill for waste charges, or heard anything about it, and the letting agency never mentioned anything about it before. I've tried to go onto the council website to check it electronically, but they want an account number and more information. I'd like to contact the landlord to get the details off him about it, but the agency won't even give me his number! I've tried ringing the council as well but can't get through. Anyone have any suggestions? We don't have a problem paying the bill like, but would like to have done it during the year as some people have since moved out and been replaced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 doll2824

i pay an extra 40 euro a month for rubbish collection and maintance.OUR COMPLEX HAS THE 1100LT BIN SO ALL THE APARTMENTS PAY 40.

Advertisement