Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ShelltoSea - what does that mean?

Options
  • 12-10-2006 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but you know the group ShellToSea - is that a pun on something that I just can't figure out? Seems like a funny name for a pressure group - what does it mean, they want Shell to stay at sea or what? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I can't think of any pun or saying its a play on ....maybe its just because they want the pipeline/refinery off-shore and not inland and its not intentionally 'smart' or whatever?

Haven't a clue tbh, hopefully some poster will come along and enlighten us:confused:

[its probably not the right place but I'm willing to let it stay:) ]

EDIT/ Just had a look at Shell to Sea dot com and it hasnt helped, bah.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Would it not have something to do with the fact that the shell logo is a sea shell? Shell to sea? Sea shells belong in the sea? Shell belongs in the sea?

I'd attach a diagram, but for some reason we can't post images in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

thats what I thought initially, I guess I'm just used to slick, clever names that get less funny the more you hear them :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Oh? And not puns which are slick, clever and perpetually funny? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

A variation of the saying "Ship to shore" perhaps ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I dont think there is any more to it than that which has been said above.
    Sea shells belong in the sea. The residents believe the company should process the gas offshore in the sea.....

I dont think they could afford to hire some slick marketing company to come up with a name and the name was most likely put together by some locals on the fly without too much thought.
    Nothin wrong with the name though.
    If only there could be a happy ending to the ongoing debacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Shell is the name of the exploration Company.

The gas field is out to sea off the Mayo coast

The company(Shell) want to get the gas, and pipe it to the shore and do all the refining stuff there.

The locals want all this stuff done "out at sea" in other words no pipeline for untreated gas on shore.They want it done on a rig out at sea.

Therefore they want Shell out to sea.

Shortened for campaign purposes to "Shell To Sea"

Hope that clears it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah I get the meaning behind the name alright, just wondering if it ws as simple as that - "SeaShell" or something might have been....snappier. Cutting out the "out to" makes it shorter (by five letters) but makes it a bit more vague, IMO. "Shell Out" conveys the message and has a couple of meanings - maybe I should sell them that name??!?

Although fair play to them for not going down the route of picking a word and shoe-horning meaning to it, viz UPROAR:

United Portmarnock Residents Opposed [to] Another Runway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Indeed tbh.
    Personally ,like you,I feel that acronyms which are "shoe-horned" into meanings lose any impact they might have.

They end up gimmicky and tacky and any gravitas they would hope to achieve is greatly diluted.

The end result is that the actual acronym is bigger than the cause.

Advertisement