Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustic Guitar Srings - Any Recomendations?

Options
  • 12-10-2006 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

I seem to always have bad luck when it comes to buying strings for my acoustic guitar. They always end up being to tight/hard to play, and this puts me off playing it cause it sounds crap.
    Does anyone have any recomendations? Most of the stuff i play has solo parts in it (i.e over the hills & far away by Zep)
    By the way, it's an epiphone semi-acoustic.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Have you tried Elixir strings? They can be kinda expensive here (I get mine on ebay from america for about half the price). I've tried quite a lot of acoustic strings and they are by far the best. You get what you pay for and they keep their sound longer than cheaper strings due their special coating which slows down corrosion from sweat/dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Yep they're good strings alright, I'd recommend them too..

Fusion

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Doolittle51

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll give them a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

im not sure elixer strings are worth the money... i find that if you play them hard at all, the nanoweb? coating comes off pretty quick in places (i often find little threads off it coming off the string) and you're left with a string that's even duller than the more average priced ones. So while they do sound nice at first i dont think they last as long as they say they do...

then again my father reckons they are the best thing since sliced bread, so you may as well give 'em a try anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

I'd recommend Elixirs as well.

But if you're finding some strings are too hard or tight, you need to be looking at what string gauges you're using.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

A set of light elixer stings. About 25 quid a pack off the top of my head but hands down the best acoustic strings I've ever used. Sound better and last longer. Cant recommend them enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

I use DR coated strings on my bass and 6-string and would also recommend the coated strings highly. The coating is starting to wear off after about 4 months on my bass, but I rehearse hard 2 nights a week and they still sound good.

Advertisement