Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danone Activia

Options
  • 12-10-2006 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    My girlfriend and I are veggie (semi vegan in fact) and recently she has been on some medicine that has some bad side effects. She was told by quite a few people that eating Danone Activia could counteract the side effects. We normally don't touch dairy but this was necessary.
    Just there this morning she was eating one and read the label and it stated "Not Suitable for Vegetarians" and we were wondering why that is?
    We know that Bifidus Digestivum is a living culture but it does remain alive inside your gut so this is hardly what the're on about......is it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Could be to do with the coulouring? The old squashed beetle red.

To be honest I think you would be better off taking probiotics capsuels. From googling Bifidus Digestivum it would seem its a name Danone made up themselves. I always thought it sounded dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Yep. I always thought it sounded a bit made up. Will try probiotic capsules if I can find them. Any ideas about where to locate them?
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Soz*

Interestingly its the strawberry ones that aren't suitable for vegetarians so could well have something to do with the beetle red colouring. Pretty disgusting if you think about it.
    You can pick up the probiotic capsules from any food health food shop, they are normally kept in the refridgerated section.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That beetle colouring is ruining more and more foods for me, I would say that it is quite possible that it is that. If it can claim M&Ms away from me, it could be anywhere! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Geordie_Girl

flikflak wrote:
    From googling Bifidus Digestivum it would seem its a name Danone made up themselves. I always thought it sounded dodgy.

I always thought it sounded like something from Harry Potter.

Cast the Bifidus Digestivum spell and rid yourself of all your stomach related problems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Also I'm sure some of the other brands apart from Danone could have beneficial effects and still be veggie. Even the cultures in standard yoghurt could be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 findabhair

Bifidus digestivum is a name danone made up but it comes from the actual live culture present in danone activia called bifidobacterium which is a probiotic that can aid digestion of course none of the probiotics used in theese commercial products have been scientifically proven to work the way they claim they do.

Advertisement