Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] Plans for massive Ikea store move step closer

• 12-10-2006 4:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1011/ikea.html
    Plans for massive Ikea store move step closer
    11 October 2006 20:01

Plans to build a 30,000-square metre Ikea store in Ballymun, which would be the biggest retail outlet of its kind in the State, have moved a step further.

RTÉ News has learnt that Fingal County Council has granted the Swedish furniture giant planning permission.

However, the local authority has set down some 32 conditions for the development, 14 of which relate to transport issues and fears that the store could cause congestion in the area and on the nearby M50.

The conditions that must be met include the upgrade of the Ballymun junction of the M50 or alternative measures such as provision of sliproads to ensure the freeflow of traffic.

Improvements to local roads, provision of cycling and pedestrian lanes, restricted parking as well as the operation of a shuttle bus service between the store and Ballymun town every 20 minutes are also required.

A senior manger must be appointed to look at increasing use of public transport and a revised traffic plan must be submitted to the council in advance of the store opening.

An independent consultant will monitor traffic trends afterwards.

Strict opening hours are also laid down: the store must not open before 9.40am on weekdays and must stay open until 10pm.

Ikea received the news of the decision this morning and a spokeswoman said they view it as an important step in opening their first store in Ireland.

The date of the opening, due next year, will depend on appeals to An Bord Pleanála and whether there will be an oral hearing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Isnt this the one where they decided to have a store were you can, say buy a huge cupboard, then have to haul the cupboard on a park & ride to an offsite carpark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

When visiting the mainland I've been in the one in Glasgow a few times.

I like the 'Crab Mirrors'. At first you are impressed by the one way system and loads of nick-nacks etc.

A few visits later and it starts to remind you of a scruffy Argos store.

Despite the hype the novelty will wear off.. Some of the stuff is good but I think people will keep going to Ballyer and Classic Furniture in Blanch.

Landlords will love it for cheap furniture, shopaholics will love it for the merri-go-round feel to the place, bargain hunters will love the subsidised restaurant and coffee bar, and everyone else will get over it after a few visits.

It's a cross between Woodies and Argos.. Most of the stuff is flatpacked and you wheel it out from a large B&Q style warehouse.

An Ikea is just something the country needs to have to make sure we aren't missing out on anything. Once we realise that we haven't been missing out then the novelty will wear off..

It'll do good business but the only place it will shut down might be Bargain Town..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

An Ikea is just something the country needs to have to make sure we aren't missing out on anything.
    Yea but nothing wrong with that, Irish people reckon they should have everything that everyone else has.
    It'll do good business but the only place it will shut down might be Bargain Town..
    No loss tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Having priced the fitting out of a new house a few years ago, it was much cheaper to drive over and back to IKEA Warrington compared with paying Irish prices.

Yes, eventually everyone's livingrooms will look the same, but if it can reduce costs/increase competition in Ireland that can't be a bad thing.

(Huge'r traffic jams on the M50, and couples arguing in the carpark after one of them bought too much to fit in the car will be some of the bad things! :) )

spacetweek wrote:
    No loss tbh.
    Note the might..:)

Oh, and I like the hangey things for the kids bedrooms.

Strongly recommend to go without any cash or cards for the first 3 visits..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

what mainland are you talking about navan junction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

admiralgar wrote:

are you murphaph?
    are you murphaph?
    are you murphaph in disguise?

admiralgar wrote:
    The largest island in the archipeligo that is geographically located in the German Ocean..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

spacetweek wrote:
    No loss tbh.

A great loss! What about that catchy tune you hear from time to time
    "Come on down to Bargaintown... Where the prices are only famous..."
    Wil be singing that in my head for the rest of the day now! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

However, the local authority has set down some 32 conditions for the development, 14 of which relate to transport issues and fears that the store could cause congestion in the area and on the nearby M50.

Congestion on the M50? That would be an outrage!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Mexicola wrote:
    A great loss! What about that catchy tune you hear from time to time
    "Come on down to Bargaintown... Where the prices are only famous..."
    Wil be singing that in my head for the rest of the day now! :D:D
    And they got Terry Wogan to do the voice over! yay Terry!
    The largest island in the archipeligo that is geographically located in the German Ocean..
    Oh god, oh my sweet christ, let's not get onto that. I got a headache from reading that thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Watch this space , I guarantee that An Bord Pleanála will appeal this. Their report this week , and all the radio interviews around it mentioned that they don't want building of retail developments on National Routes or bypasses ( and whats the M50 if it's not a bypass ).

Having lived not too far from the one in Wembley I can tell you traffic around it on a Sunday will be a NIGHTMARE, the multistory c/park there used to be full 30 mins after opening and it must have had 2000+ spaces.

However they are great places to shop , the furniture isn't great quality but the household stuff ( knives/forks/stuff like that ) its cheap and good.

It's odd , wherever you travel in the world you find and IKEA , the first thing you see when you land in Moscow ... IKEA. We will all have the same furnishings soon :)

Davidth88 wrote:
    Watch this space , I guarantee that An Bord Pleanála will appeal this. Their report this week , and all the radio interviews around it mentioned that they don't want building of retail developments on National Routes or bypasses ( and whats the M50 if it's not a bypass ).
    Where else though... Balbriggan maybe? Away from junctions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PhilipFromBosco

I don't think there will be a net increase in traffic due to Ikea. I think what will happen is that there will be a decrease in traffic going to other furniture and DIY and an increase to Ikea. So the picture isn't at bad as some would like you to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

nordydan wrote:
    are you murphaph?
    are you murphaph?

Behave.

Advertisement