Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace HDD - XBOX

Options
  • 12-10-2006 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭

I have an XBOX with an xecuter 2.6 CE solderless chip in it, which I just finished flashing it with the xecuter 4977 bios.

The reason i got this was coz i messed up the HD doing a soft mod and wanted to replace it.

I have another hard drive from another modded xbox (which I dont have anymore).

I also have a blank 200gb hdd that i wanna put in also.

problem is, I have not got a backup of the eeprom, and when i try either of the xbox hard drives, i get either an error 7, or error 6 message.

does anyone know how I can get the XBOX working? burn Evox to a CD maybe? then how can I access the HDD to format it?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I used evox on a dvd to format the hard drive. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye but the other HDD is locked to another XBOX, and the original XBOX HDD is borked. when i was doin the softmod i felt a little shock when i touched the hard drive on its chippy bit.

so could i stick the 200gb one in and format that thru the evox DVD? looks liek me only option.

EDIT:/ oh but then would i need the eeprom serial number thing to lock that hard drive? headwreckin stuff!

You'll only need to lock the hard drive to play on Xbox live. Personally, I just stuck a bigger hard drive into my Xbox and didn't worry about Live. If I really want to play, I'll just get another Xbox.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Since the HDD you want to use is so big, I think you may need to flash the BIOS too?

i've flashed it to x2 4977 bios.
    the chip is the xecuter 2.6 CE with the xapter solderless adaptor.

will the X3 bios work wit that, no? otherwise i think 4977 is the latest.

so is there any way i can get the old HDD working? i have no eeprom backup, not gonna de-solder any bits off the mobo. the reason i got the chip was coz i assumed it cud unlock the HDD from within itself, as it would have access to the onboard eeprom.

i kinda wanna get the original hdd goin before i stick the big yoke in, jsut so i know that i have that far working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

why did u soft mod when u already have a chip????

also u need the epromm to lock the hd to your xbox, do u still get the green x animation when u boot the xbox?

if the white microsoft writing comes up u can still recover your hard drive!!

i got the chip after i botched the soft mod.
    hard drive was defo gone.
    ended up using xboxhdm from a boot cd to prepare the hard drive and then it worked grand.

so can i now lock the current 200gb hard drive, or is there absolutely no point?

Some drives can be locked but unless you're playing on Live, there's no point iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

exact same thing happened me, you can save the old harddrive using software called HDDUNLOCK (google it) costs about $20 for a 250gb drive, i've used it and it worked no problem.

you should be able to use the box without locking the HDD as long as you have the chip....try booting with slayers auto installer disk.

I gave up though and bought a 2nd hand box for 60 blips and used the HDD i recovered in it....taught me to go messing with my xbox...if it anit broke dont go fixin it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

The_B_Man wrote:
    so is there any way i can get the old HDD working? i have no eeprom backup, not gonna de-solder any bits off the mobo. the reason i got the chip was coz i assumed it cud unlock the HDD from within itself, as it would have access to the onboard eeprom.

Is this an original, unmodded HD or one that you put in yourself?

The eeprom contains half of the information required to unlock the drive (the other half is the HD serial) but if you locked the drive during a softmod then it's possible that a master password might have been set on the drive by the softmod application as a failsafe. Use an application called atapwd.exe (boot from DOS floppy/CDrom) to enter the master password and therefore unlock the drive. The 2 possible master password's set by xbox softmod installs are: XBOXSCENE or TEAMASSEMBLY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Dump Xbox drives. They're crap.

Buy a cheap IDE up to 320-400GB, partition with F or F and G partitions (recommended for drives over 250G).

Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

well there is a few things you can do.

use xboxhdm to make your new hard drive and put evox on the c drive and install the evox bios to the mod chip.

you can then use evox to dump the eeprom info onto the new hard drive and unlock the old one with xboxhdm and put it into your xbox you can then copy the old partions using the mod chip os.

Advertisement