Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you claim rent relief with out landlords PPSN?

Options
  • 11-10-2006 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I was renting in Dublin a couple of years ago and during that time I never bothered to claim rent relief. I've just realised that I could claim this relief now and it would be worth about 330 EUR for every year that I was renting. In fact it seems that my girlfriend who was living with me during that time would also be intitled to 330 EUR per year as well.

The problem is that I don't have the landlords PPSN number to complete this form:
    http://www.revenue.ie/forms/rent1.pdf

Is there a database where I can find the PPSN of all registered landlords? This is assuming that my old landlord is registered.

If I send in the form without his PPSN would it get processed? I do have a rent book covering the full period of time and a copy of the lease but little else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You don't need the PPSN. Just fill in the other details of the landlord, and revenue will chase him up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

seamus wrote:
    You don't need the PPSN. Just fill in the other details of the landlord, and revenue will chase him up.

I never knew this! Cool. I was renting student accommodation 2003/04 and filled in the claim form but never heard back from revenue, and I don't know why. Should I send a fresh claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't send a fresh claim, I'd just contact them and see what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

seamus wrote:

Thanks seamus! Could be a nice little windfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

Is it still possible to claim rent relief for previous years if the address that was registered with the revenue was different to the address that I wish to claim for? ie. my 'home' address was on all revenue paperwork/records - but when I started my current job, I used rented accomodation during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is it still possible to claim rent relief for previous years if the address that was registered with the revenue was different to the address that I wish to claim for? ie. my 'home' address was on all revenue paperwork/records - but when I started my current job, I used rented accomodation during the week.

Of course. I use my home address in Tipperary on all offical forms as I rent in Dublin and may move every six months or so.

I'd say most culchies working in Dublin are in this situation. Sure aren't we taking over the city:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Afuera wrote:
    I was renting in Dublin a couple of years ago and during that time I never bothered to claim rent relief. I've just realised that I could claim this relief now and it would be worth about 330 EUR for every year that I was renting.

As far as I know you can retrospectively claim relief going back 4 years (i.e. as far back as 2002) but confirm this with the Revenue Commissioners.

Of course. I use my home address in Tipperary on all offical forms as I rent in Dublin and may move every six months or so.

I'd say most culchies working in Dublin are in this situation. Sure aren't we taking over the city
    Good stuff.

Is it €330/year regardless of what rent was paid? If not, how much rent would someone be paying to qualify for €330 relief?

I would be claiming for '03& '04. Half way through '05, I called off some of my mortgage (stage payments) and I *think* I applied for mortgage interest relief soon afterwards (will check with revenue). Am I still entitled to rent relief in '05 given that I was still renting for the whole year as the house was being built? Or is it a case of just being eligible for a proportion of the rent relief up to the point where the mort. interest relief commenced?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its 330 a year maximum, which is calculated by a flatline calculation on the total rent paid at the marginal rate of income tax (i.e. total rent by 20% and then whichever is lower the 330 or the 20% amount).

To claim the maximum amount of rent relief (Euro 330) you would thus have to pay 330*5 in rent (Euro 1650) in a calendar year.

Its not an awful lot of money, but its better than nothing, and it does add up.....

This article explains all

• Registered Users Posts: 19 scsa

Is it still possible to claim rent relief for previous years if the address that was registered with the revenue was different to the address that I wish to claim for?
    You should have no problems getting the relief. About 3 years ago I claimed retroactive tax relief on a place I started renting 18 months before, with nothing except the address and the landlords first name. It was deadly. :D He liked the rent in cash, so I'd say he got a call from the Revenue afterwards. That'll learn him for not fixing the washing machine and switching off the central heating at 8pm in the depths of winter.

I was registered at my 'home' address during that period too, so I'd expect you'd be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭minnie_mouse

I was in digs for college 2001-4, it was just 5days a week for 9 months of each year. would i be able to claim?

I was in digs for college 2001-4, it was just 5days a week for 9 months of each year. would i be able to claim?

I don't think that would be an option. You would have to be working during that time - as effectively this tax relief forms part of your tax credits each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Does the tax relief come in the form of tax credits or do you get a cheque?
    I'm hoppin a cheque.

bobbyjoe wrote:
    I'm hoppin a cheque.

The Rent Relief Form has a section where it asks for your bank details so it looks like you get a cheque or it goes directly into your account. Maybe they only use this if you're applying for previous years though. If you're claiming relief for the current year, it probably just affects your tax credits accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Oh yes, as long as you have sufficient information for them to identify the landlord. The interesting thing is that they keep giving it to you long after you've changed address, though you're expected to update them when you move house and landlord. In practice I'd assume that receipts or a rent book would be sufficient evidence though in my experience I've been claiming since 1999 and they've never asked for a receipt. (I just keep them back for the last 2 or 3 years).

bobbyjoe wrote:
    I'm hoppin a cheque.
    A cheque if claiming for a previous year. An addition to your tax credits if for current fiscal year.

A cheque if claiming for a previous year. An addition to your tax credits if for current fiscal year.

I can now confirm this for you all as the cheque arrived this morning. Sweet!!! :D
    A few hundred more to play with for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

Sorry to drag up am old thread, but I was wondering if I rent student accommodation and my parents are paying it for me, is it possible that they can claim back the tax on their account.

I don't usually pay tax as my tax credits are too high for the amount of work I do so if its only me that can claim it back its not much use to me

thanks,

Duckmusic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It may be more hassle than it is worth. Your parents are not living in the rented accommodation. If they tried to claim that they were, they could lose any mortgage relief on their own house as well as having capital gains issues on it.

Advertisement