Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom new line connection

Options
  • 11-10-2006 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

the story goes.

The house I bought off my parents was rented for a few years and had a phone line. The line has been unused for 3 years. When I lift the receiver I get a dial tone. I have tried to order the line through that phone but they are not able to connect it for some reason.

They say that the line has been dormant for over a year and so an engineer is needed to check out the line and correct it & so I will have to pay 121.93. They also have the check to say what do I expect after 3 years.

I say T & C on eircom say that if the line is in situe then the connection is free. They are now saying that situe means under 1 year. I told them to use a dictionary and look up the word.

I have tried ringing COMREG but they say they are swamped and have to phone me back.

Anyone out there have any similar stories or solutions.

If I dial 1990000 it tells me that the line number is 02148..... But eircom have that listed for another porperty close by...The last tenant who moved out took the number with them and have since moved on again. There have been no activity on the number for some time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

They did this to me a few years ago in an apartment I'd moved into. And I've heard it's happened to others too.

It was supposed to be free connection, and the line was there with a dial tone. My gf was ordering it, and because I needed it for work agreed to it. As soon as she told me about the 120 charge, I rang back (about an hour late) to cancel. I was told there had been a mistake, the line was OK, and that we were *not* liable for that charge. Left it go ahead.

First bill came out with 120 charge on it. Eircom then said what I was told the second time was a mistake, that the charge stood, because the line had been idle for "too long" (but when pressed couldn't define what too long was)and I had to pay it. Repeated complaints were ignored. I refused to pay the bill. They were threatening to cut me off, I had too much else going on, and I didn't really know much about ComReg at the time, so in the end I gave in.

Did send a letter to ComReg a few months later, but heard nothing.

You have a line in situ, with a dial tone. If their T&C say freee connection, it's free connection. From what I've heard, they pull this stunt all the time because mugs like me will back down and pay. Push it with ComReg. Please don't let them get away with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Crooks.

1. ITS free connection at present although possibly only if you order online not by phone. It should be €25 max if you have dialtone no matter how you order , this offer lasts all this month and most of next.

2.Their database is screwed up on your address. Ring 1901 off that soft dialtone to prove its live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Phester

they are saying that the number i have from the softnumber can not be at my address even though 199000 tells me it is. when i phone then from the phone they can not see my number in full they are saying that it gives only a partial number. 02145 and thats it, when my soft No is 021482412...

I know if i sign up on line then I will have to chase them to the ends of the earth to get it sorted. As to them a line means (records of a line in their accounts section)

email consumerline@comreg.ie and tell them to sort our your " Reasonable Request for a Connection to Eircom ( In Situ line) "

1. eircom have a mapping database of lines (copper) and their numbers. Each line is called a D-Side in this 'map' and if you dial 199000 you should be told the right number for YOUR D-side .

2. Eircom cannot tell from their database that that there is a functioning D-Side INSIDE your house with soft dialtone on it, never mind that 199000 is wrong.

3. Therefore they now need to send an engineer out to check things IN ORDER to correct the wrong data in their OWN database not to provide you with the line you have but that the computer says no you do not have .

4. You should not have to pay for this cockup in eircoms system so tell Comreg to go do their job and to get eircom to reconnect your In Situ Line for free like the offer says and to stop fannying about.

This has just happened to me too. I moved into an apartment that has been unocupied for 3 months . The prevoius owner had a phone in the apartment. When i lift up the phone there was a tone. They set up my phone and charged me 126 euros !!

• Advertisement

I have contacted COMREG 2 days ago. They tell me that they have to call me back. I have tried to phone again today. But they say that it will take 3-5 days due to overloading because of SMART. I have emailed eircom complaints section and also the phil.....@eircom somebody important i think. The next day will tell who if any are able to help.

Also the current line that is installed in my house has a big ugly electrical junction box on the window cill where eircom engineers moved the line from downstairs to upstairs. IF i have no recourse with them I am tempted to
    pay the 121 EURO but first

1. pull down the line so that I will get a new copper pair to the house. Not a sure thing that the new line will be BB suitable. I bet with my luck they will pair gain me.

2. send 240V AC through the line
    or at least enough to damage the line. maybe if i held the line at 50V dc the exchange would not like it and maybe an engineer would have to be called.

Customer support keep saying that an engineer will be needed to rectify the problem and subsiquently I will have to pay for their service.

:(

After getting no where with COMREG or the FORMAL complaint.....(they havnt even rang me back) I got my own eircom engineer to unofically check out my line.

Everything was as I said. Line in SITUE so on and so on.

Had to go through the normal sales channel again except this time I was connected to a call centre in Cork. I expalined my situation completly and she actually understood. She explained that ther computer would not let her connect me. but she taught that what might have happened was the wrong soft dial was left on my line when the old tennents moved out. she got on to some technicial who sorted it out within 2 min. No problem

And to think that LISA WALKER a supervisor in sales told me such lies about terms and conditions that I have read myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Phester wrote:

And to think that LISA WALKER a supervisor in sales told me such lies about terms and conditions that I have read myself

Never heard of her, and i work in Eircom sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

It is so annoying to deal with this company, each time you ring them you are told different things its unreal this day and age. And what about that talking computer, jeeeeesussssssssssss... :mad:

that talking computer, jeeeeesussssssssssss... :mad:

Say "Agent" to it and a real human is found fairly lively :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭maireadmarie

I would give BT a ring, tell them you've a line, and ask to be connected - you might be pleasantly surprised!

Advertisement