Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's THE most expensive restaurant in Dublin?

Options
  • 10-10-2006 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Does anyone know what's THE most expensive restaurant in Dublin?

Trying to arrange a meal for maybe 10 or 12 people and just want to get an idea of how much it would cost per head to arrange a meal with drinks. Must be the most expensive option available (this post sounds like I'm taking the p!ss but I'm really not, needless to say I wouldn't actually be paying for this night out myself :)) I was thinking Patrick Guilbaud's or Chapter One, but is there somewhere even MORE expensive?

I won't go into reasons why it must be so ridiculously priced, but I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Does anyone know what's THE most expensive restaurant in Dublin?

Trying to arrange a meal for maybe 10 or 12 people and just want to get an idea of how much it would cost per head to arrange a meal with drinks. Must be the most expensive option available (this post sounds like I'm taking the p!ss but I'm really not, needless to say I wouldn't actually be paying for this night out myself :)) I was thinking Patrick Guilbaud's or Chapter One, but is there somewhere even MORE expensive?

I won't go into reasons why it must be so ridiculously priced, but I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
    Thorntons a la carte menu is around e110 for three courses, which I believe is the most expensive unless you get one of the big steaks in Shanahans which would push it above that. To be honest most expensive is not necessarily the best, have been disappointed with Shanahans the two times I've been there. The food in Thorntons is excellent but was there at lunchtime and it was quiet. A lot of people complain that the waiters looming around the table annoy them in Patrick Guildbauds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Having been to both Thornton's and Shanahan's, I'd say it was Shanahan's since you have to order side dishes which add up.

Having said that you can easily blow the budget by buying a 5000 euro bottle of wine in either establishment. Thornton's wine list is particularly scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Geordie_Girl

jdivision wrote:
    To be honest most expensive is not necessarily the best

It's a pound of flesh type situation. That's all I can say really. The cost is the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'm the most expensive as you have to get a flight over to me and the cost per head is 3000 euro! As long as you don't mind macaroni cheese and a side order of toast..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I would definitely let rip at Shanahans - very expensive but I think the food is also fantastic aswell. You get proper portions there. Thorntons is a different kettle of fish as its more what I would call "designer food" which smaller portions. An idea of prices for Shanahans would be

Starter €30
    Main €50
    Dessert €25
    Sides (which you will want a couple of) around €5 each
    Then add in the wine and it can be at least €130 /140 per head

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud

Start with the Langoustine & Caviar @ €58
    Main Course of Lobster from Clogher Head €80
    The Asiette of Chocolate to finish for just €25

That comes to €163

The wine list 30 pages long and has no prices (online)

http://www.restaurantpatrickguilbaud.ie/menu.html

I've never eaten there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

[Deleted]

/gets off high horse

Good for you Hill Billy.

I have my reasons and to be honest they are not your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hill Billy, this is the Food and Drink forum.

This is not the international aid crisis forum. Your post was off topic and unhelpful - if you have issues with the food forum in general, take them to Feedback. Alternatively take your political views on global poverty and starvation to the politics forum or to humanities.

This is your first and last warning. I find the position you took on this thread to be more offensive than any implications in the thread itself and I won't tolerate further posturing from you - it's off topic, against charter and offensive to other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sincerest apologies to the OP & anyone else who may have been offended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sounds like your nasty boss is paying for a meal and asked you to arrange it or something. If you are going yourself you can just start ordering gallons of vintage champagne

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think you should invite some of us boardsies to the expensive restaurant to push the prices up ;)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Sarsfield wrote:

I think that Patrick Guilbaud is the only chef in Ireland with two Michelin Stars.

I have not been yet as it requires some serious dosh to have a meal there. Perhaps I shall treat myself before Christmas and try their tasting menu (€130)

I went to a two star michelin restaurant in San Sebastian in Spain while on holidays. I have never had a restaurant experience like it, out of this world. No other restaurant I have been to has come close to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Beruthiel wrote:
    Perhaps I shall treat myself before Christmas and try their tasting menu (€130)
    Try it at lunch, the website says two courses from the set menu are e33 but I believe it's now a bit more expensive than that. You are correct though, it's the only restaurant in Ireland with two stars, Thorntons has lost one. L'Ecrivain on Baggot Street also has one.

OP, to be honest, in my opinion if you want to relax, eat good food and enjoy yourself you go to L'Ecrivain; if you want to be a bit pompous you got to Guilbauds; if you want a view, some strange food choices (pig's head as a starter and pig's trotters as a main) and some brilliant service you go to Thorntons; if you want to be ostentatious you go to Shanahans.

My personal favourite is L'Ecrivain, reasonable wine menu there too. The worst I think is Shanahans - I've been twice, the first the service was appaling, the second the food was extremely average.

I've been to Patrick gilbauds restauarant and can testify that its the most expensive restaurant that I've ever been in... (though I havent been in shanhans yet.)
    We ratcheted up a bill of €160 per person there not including the wine but the food was absolutely fantastic!
    Mr Gilbaud himself makes a point also of going out and talking to every table.

rubadub wrote:
    Sounds like your nasty boss is paying for a meal and asked you to arrange it or something. If you are going yourself you can just start ordering gallons of vintage champagne

Almost exactly rubadub.

The idea was to submit a horrendously expensive quote for a restaurant and have it refused by the powers that be. Basically, "take your meal and shove it!"

To everyone - I know how this whole thread makes me look, and I'm really not like that at all. There's no way I'd spend this kind of money (or demand that it was spent on me) just for the sake of it. The idea all along was to get the price, KNOWING that it'd never come to pass. It's a strange situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Sure maybe give the owners of the restaurant a kind of nudge nudge, hint hint that it's nearly like having an open cheque.
    They may add on a little extra bonus for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Sarsfield wrote:

Start with the Langoustine & Caviar @ €58
    Main Course of Lobster from Clogher Head €80
    The Asiette of Chocolate to finish for just €25

That comes to €163

The wine list 30 pages long and has no prices (online)

http://www.restaurantpatrickguilbaud.ie/menu.html

I've never eaten there.
    eaten there once with the wife,what an experience

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Beruthiel wrote:
    I think that Patrick Guilbaud is the only chef in Ireland with two Michelin Stars.

Kevin Thorton also has two Michelin stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Samson wrote:
    also has two Michelin stars.
    didnt he lose one last year?

edit/yes he did
    http://www.forkncork.com/content/showthread.php?postid=3900#post3900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

In theory i'd love to go to a fancy restaurant, but in reality i hate un-necessarily fussy, landscaped food.
    One of my dad's mates went to Patrick Guilbaud and was so hungry afterwards he went to McDonalds. That would probably be me.

I'm a culinary heathen i know.... :o

Advertisement