Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Present

Options
  • 10-10-2006 4:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

Hi my Sis is getting married next summer and ive been thinking of what to get them as a present
    i want to make them some sort of blanket box or some sort of memory chest!!
    just have a few questions as i dont know ANYTHING about what type of wood to use etc
    i will probably buy the wood myself and get a guy i know to do the actual construction
    what type of wood would:p be best (i want to get somthing good tho) but i also want to carve it so i guess that is going to have some sort of bearing on the type of wood i have to use

anyway any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Back in the day, these kinds of chests were often made out of camphor wood which is highly aromatic (mothball smell). The idea was that the smell would keep moths and other insects away from the clothes, plus the wood itself was slightly oily and was particularly suited to withstanding the ravages of sea travel. I think you'd have trouble sourcing this nowadays though, especially taking sustainability into consideration, so maybe that isn't an option.

Otherwise, I'd say Oak would be my first choice for something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Torq

Hi,
    According to Eddie Hobbs the best wedding present is "cash gifts only." I'm getting married next year and having done the maths I'm entirely in agreement with him. So when you make the chest for them make sure the first thing the happy couple see when they open it is a cheque!
    Keep well,
    Torq

P.S. My Fiancee also wants a blanket box/chest but with all the stuff she has a skip would be more suitable! :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi Tintinr35.

Alun is right on the money;) with the camphorwood, and I have to agree its probably hard and expensive to source.

Oak is a good choice too, as is american white ash, sycamore, elm , wych elm , all beautiful timbers with characteristic grain.

I suppose the balance here for a chest of this type is to use a highly figured timber for its aesthetic beauty with little or no carving. Or a plain figured timber , with more carving. And of course consider the ability of your chosen crafts man, so that he can work your design requirements , succesfully within his abilities.

nice to see you are going for a quality handmade piece as opposed to mass produced flat pack ru.....sh

Oops went into rant mode there:p :p

kadman

Advertisement