Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

call from 'AIB'

Options
  • 10-10-2006 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

i got a phonecall from a witheld number today at around 3:15pm from a lady claiming to be from AIB. She said she had recieved my email requesting to set up imternet banking. (I apllied online a few days ago but never sent an email) I was in the supermarket so she suggested that she call back later. She said she would be needing my a/c number and details of my last transaction. She rang again at around 5:30pm but I did not take the call. This all looks a bit dodgy to me. If it is someone trying to con me how the hell did they know I applied for internet banking? or maybe it really was AIB, but I doubt it. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Have heard a number of people who had something similar happen a while back, certainly worth contacting your local branch about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

companies don't contact you like that and ask for your details for exactly this reason. if she rings again, offer to ring her back. that'll get rid of her

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Aib were ringing me for 2 weeks everyday at the same time from a private number, I answered once or twice and asked them to stop calling me, when that didn't work I called their phone banking number 1890242424 and told them to put a note on my account asking them not to call me anymore or I would be closing my account and I haven't had one since.

When I asked why they were calling me, she said it was a "Sales" call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

If you applied online that would have generated an automatic e-mail from the application process.

Simply ask for her name & number for you to ring back and check with AIB if this is a valid person / number.

Their direct banking operation is in Naas, so it should be a 045 prefix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Good to see people using their heads. SImple answer is, you've no way of knowing who this person is so always be paranoid when anybody rings you to discuss any kind of banking or financial matters.

Better paranoid than easy pickings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Ask the person to verify some of your account details first. Then, when they do, leave the bank anyway for giving out your info without verifying that it's you first.

Best bet in any case is to ask them to put a note on your account (or future account) detailing the proposed phone call. Then ring back on 1890242424 or whatever it is and go through the process with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

As others have said get the womans phone number and you should be able to figure out if its valid.

When i set up my online banking I was asked for the details of the last transaction on my account so that is a valid question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

got a phonecall from a witheld number today

I'm confused as to why AIB (or any other company for that matter ) would choose to withold their number. Are these home workers? If so this could have serious security implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I posted (i think in this section) a month or two back about exactly the same thing. They were driving me demented for 2 wks ringing from a with-held number and hanging up occasionally when i answered, other times i ignored it. Ringing at 8 or 9 at night as well. When i finally answered it to a person they sounded startled and not professional and fluidly-speaking the way these normal call centre ppl do, and they were asking for my bank details. I was so shocked at the cheek of them I just hung up. AIB had never rang me before and i had never asked them to and i very much doubt it actually was them. Bank of Ireland send me a letter in advance to warn me of when they call-usually once a year- or they leave a message on my phone. I was pi**ed off as i had a friend dying at the time and every time the phone rang with a withheld number i thought it might be her husband ringing to tell me the worst. I wish these stoopid f**kers would cop on cos if they try it with me again i won't be hanging up and i'll let them have it :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

write to them and ask them to remove your details and if you still get contacted write to them again as they are in breach of data protection

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

When I called TSB "online 24" service yesterday, I noticed their operators have started saying "be aware that nobody from TSB will ever ring you asking for your account number or information" when you call them before they say anything else, they never did this until recently, so maybe they are aware there is a scam happening out there.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

AIB DO ring people from 'private numbers' but they dont ever ask people to confirm info over the phone when they call you...why would they? They have the info about you on the screen in front of them :)

Sizzler]AIB DO ring people from 'private numbers'

Yes, but why? I am ex-directory and I withold my number, the reason is that I don't want to be bombarded with junk mail and crank calls etc. I just can't see the reasoning of the powers that be at AIB doing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

bmaxi wrote:
    Yes, but why? I am ex-directory and I withold my number, the reason is that I don't want to be bombarded with junk mail and crank calls etc. I just can't see the reasoning of the powers that be at AIB doing it.

maybe their call centres are third parties and if you rang back the phone may not be answered by AIB hence not very professional.

Or maybe their call centres are outside ROI. there is still a stigma about this in ireland.

faceman wrote:
    maybe their call centres are third parties and if you rang back the phone may not be answered by AIB hence not very professional.

Yes I had considered that, agree not very professional.
    Or maybe their call centres are outside ROI. there is still a stigma about this in ireland.

Even more worrying, I wouldn't like to think of some next door neighbour of Osama Bin Laden (or George Bush) having access to all my personal stuff. I personally think the banks are far too secretive with their operations, o.k. I know there is the security aspect, but I think we have a right to know who has access to our personal details, and where.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

I work in a bank and i think they call on private numbers so you dont ring back that number everytime you have a query as whoever was ringing you wouldnt be able to help you on other problems you may have.

I have contacted banks before an they asked me to confirm my last transactions, but never asked for account numbers, but an account number is useless to anyone without the pin number anyway so maybe it was the bank.

If they call back just ask them to contact you by post or email maybe.

bmaxi wrote:
    Even more worrying, I wouldn't like to think of some next door neighbour of Osama Bin Laden (or George Bush) having access to all my personal stuff. I personally think the banks are far too secretive with their operations, o.k. I know there is the security aspect, but I think we have a right to know who has access to our personal details, and where.

I recommend you read up on the data protection act. any eu country is allowed store your data in any eu country. There are some "safe" countries outside the eu.

I doubt osama bin laden is interested in your personal details tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

FYI

A few weeks back, got a phone call from my bank asking me if I would like a loan...Great interest, fast confirmation.blah, blah
    I said yes and then they asked me for my account details?

I asked who in their right mind would give details to someone over the phone, That had phoned me, dont know you, just like spam emails...so asked for a number that I could call Them on, to confirm who they were..they said that the phones they use only make out going phone calls but not incoming (Jesus!!)
    I told them no chance, you'ed be a fool to give anyone these days you personal details and said no
    later on got a phone call from the 'manager' who told me that all this was Ok, and loads of people operate this way, I said come on, if I phoned you from a private number, asking for bank details and said "Sure its ok, Honest", you tell me to feck off...and I told them to feck off also

DO NOT GIVE BANK DETAILS TO PEOPLE WHO PHONE YOU UP...well thats what I think anyhow:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I remember when I was setting up online banking with AIB that when going through the process of filling out details on their website it stated a time for them to ring me and a date...

And sure enough to the second/date they rang me about setting up the account.But I was weiry about giving my details out anyway and went into bank the following day and they rang them direct from their phone(and they could tell me they rang me previous day),which they have set up especially for this case. Took few minutes and I was setup with banking online....

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

thanks for all the responses, I rang AIB to set up internet banking manually and they verified that it was in fact them that rang me and that they make their calls from private numbers. It did'nt occure to me at the time but they did actually ring me at the preffered time I had given them in my application. I told the guy to make a note on my a/c saying not to bother ringing me from a private number as I would not answer and he just started bangin on about text topups with meteor........ I'm glad I handle most of my financial affairs with another bank

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

ball ox wrote:
    ....I told the guy to make a note on my a/c saying not to bother ringing me from a private number as I would not answer.....

in fairness they're hardly going to change their whole phone system for you , i work in a call centre that comes up as private number and i can never figure out why people dont answer the phone to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I dont answer any private numbers on my personal phone. I let voicemail screen my calls for me. Most are annoying sales nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

miju wrote:
    in fairness they're hardly going to change their whole phone system for you , i work in a call centre that comes up as private number and i can never figure out why people dont answer the phone to them

Are you kidding?

Why do you think a call centre have a private number, So that people dont annoy the bejesus out of them
    The same way some Call centers annoy the Feck out of me, asking " not to bother ringing me from a private number as I would not answer " is fine..Its our phone, our time.

the only people you normally see with private numbers are call centers, people in the 'trade' and some Genuine people who do want privacy...I dont know any of these people who have private numbers, all my friends and family give out the number

So the only people who have PRIVATE numbers are people I dont want to talk with..
    miju wrote:
    I work in a call centre that comes up as private number and i can never figure out why people dont answer the phone to them

try and work it out again...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

olearydc wrote:
    the only people you normally see with private numbers are call centers, people in the 'trade' and some Genuine people who do want privacy...I dont know any of these people who have private numbers, all my friends and family give out the number

So the only people who have PRIVATE numbers are people I dont want to talk with..

i think that people should have to apply specially for the option of putting on a private number, the same way as for ex-directory land lines. it would put a stop to the three years of prank calls i've been getting (although i know who it is anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

A few months ago I got a call from a woman claiming to be from AIB on my mobile. The number was something tidy like 01 xxx0000.

The woman knew to know my name (no problem there thats no secret), but she then wanted to "confirm" my address, I said if she was actually from AIB she would know it, she said it was in Cork, but wouldn't say anything else, I was curious so I told her it, next she asked for my home number, what type of credit card I had, and did I would I use a laser card if I had one, now this was getting a bit unusual, so I said so, she said she "understood" but was "just" doing a "routine" call to AIB customers, sounded like it was a farmed out call centre job.

As it happened I wanted to know if I could get a chequebook on my current account, but she knew nothing, indeed the call was all about extracting information from me and providing none, so I told her the call sounded like a scam and I wasn't saying anything else. I told here if it was important AIB could post me a paper letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

bmaxi wrote:

Yeah but Im guessing you gave AIB your number at some stage:confused:

Sizzler wrote:

but what if he didnt.......

Sizzler wrote:

Nope, don't know where you're going with that.

bmaxi wrote:
    Nope, don't know where you're going with that.

i think he means that the first call wasnt unsolicited if the OP provided contact details for that use. Subsequent calls werent breaking any laws if the OP hadnt asked not to be contacted further.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote:
    i think he means that the first call wasnt unsolicited if the OP provided contact details for that use. Subsequent calls werent breaking any laws if the OP hadnt asked not to be contacted further.

If he wasn't referring to me personally then yes, I agree, but why address it to me?

Advertisement